Amelia's 1960s Bouffant Hair Tutorial

Sunday, October 18, 2015


It's not often that we post in our Hair & Makeup Tag, but I've been getting a few requests about how to style short hair.  I cut a TON of my hair off over the past year, and it's been amazing, but also challenging finding new styles to try out.  My go-to everyday hair is definitely a modified bouffant.  Depending on the day I can make this style as big as I want, which makes it super versatile. Tutorial Time!

Step 1: Gather your supplies:  I used Tigi Bed Head Masterpiece Hairspray + Rockaholic Dry Shampoo, a teasing comb , a round brush and also a hair straightener.  I started with first day hair, but only because I'll keep this hairstyle and modify it over the next few days.  You can definitely do this with dirty hair too.

Step 2: Even when my hair is clean I like to give it a thorough spray of dry shampoo.  This way it gets some body and volume.  Also, my glasses get in the way so I usually do my hair blind with my glasses off.  This just shows my hair after being sprayed with dry shampoo and my bangs being portioned out.

Step 3:  The next step can be done with a hairdryer and a round brush or you can use a hair straightener and a round brush like I did.  I take a portion of my hair and use the round brush to curl my ins in while using the heat from the straightener to set them.  I do this around my entire head so that my naturally wavy hair is straight.

Step 4: This is probably my favorite step of the hair tutorial, because this is when you tease the ever living shit out of your hair.  Section the top portion of your head, and go around and tease section by section. Teasing is simply backcombing the hair so it creates volume at the crown of your head.


Step 5: Keep teasing until your hair looks slightly crazy like mine does above.  You can make this as big or small as you like, which is the beauty of it all!

Step 6: Smooth out any spots with your teasing comb + re-straighten anything as needed.  Spray the f*ck out of your hair with the hairspray.  Ta-da!


What is your go-to hairstyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment