Bonsai Kittens at the Beach

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Retro Red Don't Cross Me Top c/o Bonsai Kitten  | Gingham Shorts - Thrifted (Similar)
Cateye Sunglasses - Similar | Straw Hat - Thrifted (Similar)

I always joke that I'm actually a mermaid, because I absolutely love spending my time in the water.  Luckily, like I've said before, I live so close to many bodies of water.  I've spent so much time at the lake, and I love being able to spend time there whether it be swimming, grilling or hanging out with friends.  I do have to be super careful though, because my skin burns so quick and easy.  Sunscreen is my other best friend besides 'Manda. 

I have a super bad habit of not buying any plain colored top, because I love prints so much.  That ends up with me struggling so much in putting together outfits containing separates, because as much as I hate it: not all prints match.  Luckily, Bonsai Kitten stocks plain colored tops that are anything but plain!  I love the cross straps and cute enamel buttons, and it totally makes me feel like an X-Men...which is the best quality a shirt can have. 

Retro Red Pussybow Top c/o Bonsai Kitten  |  White Roses Cannes Skirt - Hell Bunny (no longer sold)
Va Va Voluminous Petticoat - Modcloth  |  Gondolier Hat - Amazon  |  Keiko Glasses - Bonlook

Anytime I'm in Georgia, Katie + I are get really excited when we find some time to visit our favorite spot at the "lake beach".  It's always really quiet and pretty deserted and we like to head out there early and spend a morning there, especially because the drive out there is one of the best parts!  We put on some music (our current go-to playlist can be found here) and sing at the top of our lungs with the windows down in my little car while usually being the only car on the country roads. 

The weather was amazing but the water was still pretty cold, so we decided swimsuits were out for us that day and decided to outfit our new Bonsai Kitten tops instead.  I'm really stoked on this top and have found myself pulling it out of my closet constantly since I got it.  I love that it's the perfect perfect staple and even though it's a solid color, it's got a little something cute on so that's it's not plain.  Also, I've been trying to suck Katie into the hat twilight zone while also expanding my own collection, and was excited that when we went thrifting the day before, we found her first hat!

What's your 'beach' style?

15 comments:

  1. I was about to sell my Hell Bunny Roses skirt, but it looks so cute with that top that I might have to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tops are so fun, and the hats are just darling! I love that you're still jamming to that perfect playlist, I bookmarked it when you first posted it and give it a go sometimes for nostalgia's sake. My beach style is a little as possible! Hahaha usually just my swim suit and a sundress. though I may need a nice beach hat since I always get a sunburn where I part my hair :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im obsessed with this playlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You girls are so cute! Love these outfits and the hats! I'm currently trying to figure out my beach style because I'm going to California this summer! Going for a high waisted suite this year, my first one,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here!!! I spent so much time in the water (out town is blessed to be sandwiched between two big lakes, both with great beaches) that my mom used to call me her little fishie! :)

    Wonderful warm weather outfits, ladies!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope at DisneylandJune 3, 2015 at 7:09 PM

    I LOVE these tops! I love how their basic but have a little something extra to jazz them up. This is going to sound so sad, but I don't go to the beach ever. I just never found it appealing. lol The last time I went was because we were entertaining out of town guests and I just wore jeans and a t-shirt. lol In my defense though, the public beaches here are crowded and dirty and parking is so expensive. If it was anything like the pleasant bodies of water that you post about, I'd give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly why I love the tops too! They're still good basic tops, but they aren't boring. Oh I completely understand that. I never like going to the beaches on the coast of SC or GA, because they're always so touristy. Luckily, this part of the lake is nice like the beach and only 45 minutes away.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww yay! We are little mermaids together, Jessica!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Oh I'm sure you'll love a high waisted suit! I got my first one this year, too, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! So glad you love it. We seriously listen to it every time we are together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES! I love that you love the playlist. It's the perfect nostalgia bomb. That's why I love hats! They protect my scalp and my ears....which ALWAYS get burnt. haha

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that skirt! It's so versatile and really great for Summer since it's so light.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Silver Cat Tea PartyJune 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM

    Such lovely pictures and wonderful outfits! You ladies look beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete