Pencil Skirt + Poppy Field

Thursday, March 26, 2015


I've always been super insecure about my wide hips so pencil skirts and wiggle items have always been something that I've stayed clear off.  Over the past year I've gotten over a lot of my insecurities when it comes to clothing (I'd like to think because of blogging), which means that I wear a lot more tight pieces.  Buying and wearing pencil-styled items is great because it gets me out of my shell, but I really love it because pencil skirts are great to wear to work.  I get asked a lot about what I wear to work, and how I make a 'pinup' wardrobe work in a professional setting.  Luckily, I work in a super awesome office that doesn't have a dress code so I wear swing style dresses a lot, but when I have a meeting or go to conferences I always stick to pencil skirts.  I have a conference coming up mid-April so I'm already planning outfits that are business-casual so I look professional but I don't lose all essence of my personal style. 

I bought this Caroline Pencil Skirt by Collectif, because A.) It was on sale and B.) it's a staple piece for work that isn't black.  It can be hard to find business-appropriate clothes that aren't boring as sh*t.     This adorable Poppy Field brooch from Erstwilder is another from their new collection that I had to have.  Poppies are one of my favorite flowers for so many reason, and I've always loved their part in The Wizard of Oz.  I made the spur of the moment decision to pair the Poppy Field brooch with this outfit as I was leaving the house to head to work, and I really like the color scheme that it created.   The nerd in me loves wearing complementary colors. 

Caroline Pencil Skirt - Collectif | Poppy Field Brooch - Erstwilder 
Red Confetti Lucite Earrings c/o Oblong Box Shop | Angie P Heels c/o Lola Ramona

What is your favorite 'work outfit'?

21 comments:

  1. That skirt is super cute and looks super soft and comfy for a pencil skirt! Score! I could see it paired with so many tops as that faded teal color would match nearly EVERYTHING in my closet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This outfit looks so comfy and still professional! Love love love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely outfit - I love the top! The pencil skirt is perfect and looks terrific on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pockets always look a bit wonky on me, but I love the matching belt and the color of the skirt. You have the perfect curvy figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size is the pencil skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, how tall are you? The length of this skirt is perfect on you--I'm just starting my teaching career and I need pencil skirts long enough to cover my thigh tattoo, but I'm 5'9" so it's been difficult to find the right pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victoria AndersonMarch 27, 2015 at 8:39 PM

    I love that outfit!! I work at a doggie daycare now, I have to wear rain pants to protect myself from the slobber and muddy paws- quite a bit less glamours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Victoria! I bet that job is SO much fun though. I have a huge heart for animals so I would love that part of the job. I bet you make rain pants look great though, and I'm sure the pups really appreciate it. :)


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Aly!


    I'm 5'7 (maybe a wee bit over 5'7, but not much), and I totally know what you mean. I don't consider myself to be too tall, but it's so hard to find pencil skirts that are the right length. I think this one could work on you, because I have it pulled higher than it's probably intended! I just didn't want it to reach too far below my knees. I hope this helps!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally know what you mean! I had to keep adjusting the pockets on this, and they still didn't fully cooperate with me. The color is what sold me--it's just so unique. Thank you, Kristina! You're the sweetest.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Sarah! That's so kind of you to say.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ashley, that was my goal so that means I succeeded!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. It totally is SO comfy! And it's made of wool, but has a silk-type lining so it's not too hot for the warmer weather. Exactly! It's such a unique color that will go with so much. I seriously love this skirt. :)


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a to-die-for figure, honey. I would never have imagined you viewed your hips as wide (they're not IMO). Your curves are awesome and take to pencil skirts like a duck to water. I'm a curvy lass myself and pencil skirts are my favourite skirt style ever. They're sooo flattering!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always felt the same about pencil skirts and wiggle dresses, I justbought my first one though!


    www.shystrangemanic.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss Nathalie VintageMarch 28, 2015 at 3:40 PM

    I fell the same way while wearing a pencil skirt and still feel insecure. To help me feel less insecure I wear shape ware these are my favorites http://www.spanx.com/shop/shapewear/in-power-line-super-footless-shaper-zid38-911/cat-38-catid-omp_spx_sw;pgid=XXZWO_u1uMpSRpPUgmBbmcYo0000A5CT3-AK;sid=_wT9uCYFqj_-uHMS88XOvBYPVyeYcyhRkXsMqQaD?CategoryDomainName=SPXNA-38&var_id=38-911&_t=pfm%3Dcategory plus it smooths out the lines, for myself I do not like when my skirt has wrinkles :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this outfit! The office I work in are pretty easy going so I wear my swing dresses to work and like you when going to meetings I wear something a little more professional :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great look! I just got the same skirt and it's a fantastic staple, I agree. Pencil skirts definitely need a good curve to work well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely understand body insecurities, and from an outsiders perspective with your blogging I never would have guessed it. But I guess we are all insecure at times? However, you look simply incredible! I love you in pencil skirts, and just generally love your style. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Silver Cat Tea PartyApril 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM

    Gorgeous! I love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete