Buttercups + Plaid Trousers

Wednesday, March 25, 2015


A few people in Franklin have said that they know Spring has arrived when Miss Sarah's buttercups are blooming.  Well my grandma (Miss Sarah) called me SPECIFICALLY to tell me the buttercups were blooming one day because she knows they're my favorite + she's wonderful so I drove out there to see them for myself (y'all I really love my grandma) and to snag some for my dining room table.  They've been coming back yearly at her house since before I was born all along the main road where it borders her yard and in front of her vegetable garden and I always love seeing how many will come back each year, some years are better than others.  Maybe one year, Collin + I can recreate this scene from Big Fish.

As y'all might've seen, I've been trying to step outside the box a little bit lately and branch out (here's the post where I wore jeans for the first time in 6+ years).  I purchased these High Waisted Trousers by Laura Byrnes  through the Pinup Girl Clothing Swap Group on Facebook for a steal and then won the bolero on eBay for less than $30 about a week later so I couldn't wait to wear them together.  I felt a little like I was channeling my inner-Audrey Hepburn. Granted, I have a short torso, so I kept getting semi-awkward crumpling at the tops of my thighs depending on how I was standing because of the extra fabric + the pockets, I loved them TONS anyways.  They're really versatile, so I think they're going to be something fun to pack next time I head to Wizarding World or Disney.

** Sidenote: t's a colloquialism here in the south to call these buttercups. No, they're not TECHNICALLY buttercups but that's what Katie + I were raised calling them. haha

Laura Byrnes Bolero - Pinup Girl Clothing  |  Black Cami - Forever 21  |  Peach Brooch - Vintage
High Waisted Trousers in Plaid Taffeta - Pinup Girl Clothing  |  Black Flats - Target (similar)
Keiko Glasses - Bonlook  |  Basket Purse - Vintage

Have you stepped out of your comfort zone with your style recently?
If so, how? If not, what sort of "piece" would you do it for? 

20 comments:

  1. They look sooooo good on you!! I wish I looked as good in my set! Also, are buttercups and daffodils the same thing?! How have I gone all these years without realizing that?! This is such an adorable post, and it's making me want spring even more!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! We call those daffodils here! Our buttercups are much smaller, and when you put them near your chin, they leave a buttery yellow residue!
    Love that outfit! Makes me wish I had purchased it when it was still available on PUG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! But we both know you looked amazing in it and that's the only reason I bought it. ; ) They're different and I know TECHNICALLY these aren't buttercups but I was raised calling them that and now I can't make myself call them daffodils. Thanks, family. haha.


    Also, I know! I'm so sorry you're stuck in the ice tundra. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha they're different! But, a lot of people in the south use them interchangeable and my family is included in that group so I grew up never knowing them as daffodils!



    And thank you! I bet you could hunt one down in a swap group. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so cute! I just got my first pair of Laura Byrnes trousers, too, and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the name of this clothing swap group you speak of? I think I need to be apart of it. If only to drool over all the amazing pieces everyone has. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really confused - here in the UK those flowers you're standing by are called daffodils, and they're one of the emblems of Wales, where I live! We have buttercups too but they're a small, weed-like yellow flower found in the lawn like daisies are.

    Anyway, I love the plaid trousers either way! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. As we started chatting about it a bit below, its a colloquialism here in the South to call them buttercups, it's what we were all raised calling them. No, they're not TECHNICALLY buttercups but to us, they are. haha.


    And thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much! I had so rise issues because of my height but I love them so much, I'll definitely be buying another pair. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. PUG Swap and Sell Group. It's AMAZING! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to say that I have always wanted to live in the south, or I don't even know what's it called in english. But you know, where you live! I live in Finland, and here's so cold and grey that I just can't take it anymore and I become so jealous when I read your blog. In this post what you have in the background - it's same as a summer day here. I don't know why I have always felt that I belong to the southern us, especially Louisiana, but I just do. It somehow just feels like home when I read blogs about southern girls. And I don't know why I came and told this but I just did lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those trousers look so comfy! I can't really tell, but is the actual length an issue? I'm 5'1" and I feel like they would come up to my boobs hahaha. You look so natural in these. I know you can't unlearn how to wear pants but I know sometimes one may unintentionally express awkwardness when wearing something you haven't worn in a long time. And the flowers are so pretty, I can't seem to grow anything other than sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of COURSE there's a matching bolero. Oh mylanta, and you look adorable in the entire getup. Love the pants look - so different but so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well aren't you just about the cutest thing ever?! I adore those pants on you... I would love to rock a pair of high waisted trousers like you have here. Yay for Spring and Buttercups!!!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulously fun and very charming outfit. These plaid slacks look sensational on you!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keely Jayne NoonanMarch 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM

    Aw you look super cute! Such a nice outfit. Curious what colour red lipstick you are wearing? x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love this outfit!! Trying new styles can be scary, but often rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miss Nathalie VintageMarch 28, 2015 at 3:00 PM

    Those are great pants, plaid pants always make me think of the movie Peggy Sue Got Married.
    I hated wearing pants and could never get the right fit. I recently learned how to choose the right fit in pants, for me is to measure my hip size not waist size, now my pants fit great! The only issue I have with this is my waist is a lot smaller and the pants I buy have to have belt loops or rubber in the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those trousers look awesome on you sweetheart! Perfect!! I love that you ladies call daffodils buttercups!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Silver Cat Tea PartyApril 16, 2015 at 4:47 PM

    I've been eying this combo for some time.. Too cute! <3

    ReplyDelete