Blue Hawaiian

Friday, March 13, 2015


I've been avoiding halter dresses for years. YEARS.  I see a halter and I think "danger, arm fat, avoid".  But, I've been running several  miles a day + working out for a couple months now and recently, I weighed myself and realized I'd lost 15 lbs.  Holy shit!  I wasn't really trying to lose weight so much as I needed an outlet for my stress and I've always loved running.  But, I feel like I met some unspoken personal goal because I feel great and it's REALLY helped with my stress level.  Needless to say, I'm trying to force myself into being slightly more adventurous and rounding back to styles I tend to avoid, I'm glad I tried this dress because I really love it.

The strap on this Black Hawaiian Print Halter Dress is a little wider and more offset than a normal halter so it sort of guides itself over the areas that would typically be unflattering because of a halter style strap, I made sure to include a photo with my hair pushed back below.  The little pique foldover collar (which I thought would annoyingly flap up awkwardly all day) actually stayed in place and I really liked that it added a little something to the dress.  Also, the print was lovelier in person than I expected it to be and I was pleasantly surprised.

Black Hawaiian Print Halter Dress c/o Blue Velvet Vintage  |  White Belt - Pinup Girl Clothing
Valentine Heels in Nude - BAIT Footwear  |  Va Va Voluminous Petticoat - Modcloth
Bakelite Bangles - Etsy  |  Pink Hibiscus Hair Flower c/o Niccoco Creations


I had so much fun wandering around town in almost 70 degree weather!  Do y'all see that there's still snow on the ground in the photo above? THAT'S how fast weather changes here in Nashville.  We went from our office being closed for inclement weather to 60-70 degree days since.  Anywho, I wandered into a new antique shop and completely fell in love.  It's called Wonders on Woodland and I got to hold and see Bakelite pieces I never thought I'd see in a lifetime (though I'd never be able to afford any of them).  Also, I've started a Things to Do in Nashville label on our blog since I've started to get asked more frequently what there is to do here.  I snagged that sunny yellow Bakelite bangle on the end for myself and I think I'll be going back for more very soon. ; )

What do you like to do on nice, sunny days off work?

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, cheerful tropically inspired ensemble. That pink garage door is the perfect backdrop for it.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that place right across from the hot dog place that is an old VW van? I was in Nashville a few years ago and that little yellow house looks like a business we went in, except it was half ice cream shop and half bookstore haha. And of course you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, sweet lady! Nashville needs to paint more things bright colors so I have fun backdrops haha. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's close but the place you went to was Pied Piper Creamery ; ) They're basically right next door to one another haha. You have an amazing memory, I love Pied Piper, it's so cute. I actually live in the little area and it's so fun discover new things and to see what pops up in the little houses. And thank you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress and beautiful you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to google it because I am obsessive like that, and I totally remember Wonders on Woodland! We didn't go in, we walked up the sidewalk to the right and checked out those shops. I think it was a Sunday and everything was closing early, I remember being rushed out and the sun was still up. I'd love to go back up, it was a great trip. The gardens at the Opryland hotel, the best blackbean burger EVER at The Pharmacy, a horror convention, The Parthenon, McKay's, and SNOW ON THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING! We were staying in Hermitage so we got to enjoy a little bit of snow in the yard. Sorry for the novel but I had to reminisce :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoy running. I run, I am not very fast, but it makes me happy. It took me awhile to push aside the ideas of running to loose weight, to be fast, or it was only for "athletic" or "fast" people. It is oddly calming to get a good chunk of cardio done. I am enjoying the warmer weather, and running my old normal 3 mile routes. Maybe this year I'll shoot for longer runs. Side note- I would love some cute retro running clothes... does that exist?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that dress on you June. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL you look amazing babe!!! Always!! I usually avoid halter dresses because they don't seem to sit right and always hurt the back of my neck? Is that weird? :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have realized it was a halter top, until you said (and totally agree with you about halter tops), but this looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress looks Stunning! ANd oh wow, I am obsessing over all that fabulous jewellery! :)

    ReplyDelete