Valentines + Sundaes

Saturday, February 14, 2015


A lot of my wardrobe is pink and even more of it is florals; this made my decision of which dress to wear to celebrate super difficult.  This dress by Emmy Design is one of my all time favorite dresses.  The fabric is sturdy, the construction is amazing and the print is too die for.  The only downside of this dress?  The cut around the armpits is awkward and creates arm pudge.  I love this dress so much that I overlook this flaw, which should tell you something.  I'm excited to see Emmy's 2015 Summer collection, which should be on their site mid-March. 

I know there are a TON of people who hate Valentine's Day for numerous reasons, but my love of pink and all things sappy, means that I'm a fan of Valentine's Day.  I've always loved the holiday, because my parents always made it super special for me...because I seemed to never have a boyfriend during the holiday.  So, since Michael and I met, we've always made each other cute little cards and given each other goofy presents for Valentine's Day.  We've spent the holiday as boyfriend/girlfriend, engaged and now finally we get to celebrate it married.  It's fun to have a 'first' again--so we are excited to celebrate our first Valentine's Day as a married couple.  This year, I found the perfect box of candy for Michael.  

Outfit Details 
Goodness Gracious Dress | Emmy Design 
Pink Hailey's | BAIT Footwear 
White Roses | DIY
Purse | Vintage (Similar)


So, Collin + I aren't Valentine's Day people... we never have been.  I started dating Collin in January 2006, so we've seen MANY Valentine's Days come + go... together and apart (we had a relationship hiatus for a few years, I jokingly call it round one and round two).  It's funny what getting older and spending a few years apart can do; although, he was still one of my friends during the time we weren't together, and we were in two different states most of the time, I don't think we were ever REALLY apart.  I don't know what to say about Valentine's Day so, random story about Collin + I time:
It was May, we'd both driven from Georgia to New Jersey separately (14 freaking hours) for Bamboozle Music Festival. It was during our off period and we'd both been casually dating other people, he was there with his band and I knew a handful of people there.  This was during the days of Sidekicks and shitty cell phone service everywhere, so NO ONE'S phones were working so I never expected to run in to him (even if I wanted to).  Collin + I have always been HUGE Jimmy Eat World fans so when it was time for them to play, I was a little bummed because they reminded me of him.  So, I'm standing in the crowd texting him, with my not-at-all-working-POS phone and somehow, he found me.  And he stood right next to me and the band started playing, and even though I had my arms crossed, he snuck his hand in there and grabbed my hand and then it started snowing... in May... IN MAY.  So, long story short, our first dance at our wedding was that song that played while it was snowing. (It was Dizzy, for those of you who are familiar with J.E.W. or those of you who are curious).
On to less sappy things (Amelia hasn't read my part yet and somewhere, she is reading this at the same time as one of you and is appalled at me conveying ANY type of sappyness).  I was lucky enough to have an instagram follower offer to sell me this Rose Pinup Dress in Sundae Print for an INCREDIBLY good deal and I jumped at the chance, the print is so much fun and the colors are more vibrant than I expected, one of the icecreams is even a unique, green pistachio color.  This was my first time wearing the dress and it made me fall in love with Bernie's Rose Style Dresses all over again. 

Outfit Details
Rose Pinup Dress in Sundae Print  |  Bernie Dexter
Red Mickey Mouse Brooch  |  Poison of Choice
Va Va Voluminous Petticoa|  |  Modcloth
Red Ida Heels  |  Bait Footwear

Are you a Valentine's Day person?
What are your V'day plans?

13 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Amanda I am so jealous you now have the sundae dress! It's the dress of my dreams! Anna from Munster Madness will be making me a skirt of the same fabric so I will have my own version! haha I am super excited.


    Happy Valentine's Day, ladies!


    SaraLily
    In a Nutshell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owhhhh sappy love stories are the best - I don't celebrate Valentine's day either but I can't help but get sucked in by cute stories like Amanda's! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heheheh while I'm not big on V-Day I do think this year is quite special because just like Katie it is my first one as a wife and we went to high tea using a voucher someone gave us as a wedding present!! Eeeeppp!! :) :) You two are looking super adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't look nearly as cute as either of you this Valentine's Day... I wore my pj's all day which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We don't have any V-Day traditions and this year was no exception - chocolate, netflix, pj's, and early to bed for us - it was brilliant!
    Loved your story, Amanda - what a wonderful memory :)
    -Carley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pink floral dress is amazing... it's so cute :D Making gifts is definitely my favorite part of Valentine's Day!

    I am in love with that sundae print dress. I've seen in on instagram a few times already :D That story is pretty adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of you look so cute and so perfect for Valentine's day. V-day always reminds me of sweets and shades of pink and red and hearts. I actually associate it more with family/friend love than romantic love to be honest. I'd say that my hubby and I acknowledge the day with small gifts and gestures. This year I spent the first part of the day at my friends "Disney Side" Galentine's day party where we ate a lot of heart and Mickey shaped treats and made DIY Minnie ears. In the evening my hubby and I went to dinner at Walt's favorite restaurant. So I'd say it was very disney-fied this year. ;) I hope you two had a great one too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Valentine's Day!! Isn't that dress the best? I love that print so much and I bet the skirt Anna makes will be fabulous! Post a picture of it when it's done! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to not get wrapped up in such a cute love story!? There is a little sap in all of us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nora, that sounds fabulous! I agree, something about the first married Valentine's Day is just a little bit more special than the rest! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rocking your PJ's doesn't sound like a bad thing at all! That sounds like a brilliant day--you can't go wrong with chocolate and netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!! I agree- I love making gifts and spoiling my loved ones.


    It's the perfect sundae print. It's just kitschy enough without being over the top.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun Galentine's Day Party!! I am a huge lover of all things Disney so that sounds like so so so much fun.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking for the Ultimate Dating Site? Create an account and find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete