House of Dots

Tuesday, February 17, 2015


I'm the youngest child of three in a super close family.  So now that my siblings have moved all over the country it's just me here in Georgia with my parents.  This means I spend a lot of time with my parents, which is always a great time.  My mom and I act A LOT alike, and she is also a lover of vintage so we spend a lot of time showing our recent vintage finds.  The other day we went through some of her old jewelry and she gave me this vintage brooch.  I love vintage jewelry and it's even more special when it belonged to someone I love.

I love when a clothing company not only offers amazing clothes, but they also have an adorable website.  House of Dots has the cutest website ever--warning there is music...so if you're on your work computer just turn that down first. (;  This dress is great for this last blast of Winter since it's a wool blend (and it's lined!).  The longer sleeves and the slightly flared skirt create a silhouette that I love.  Plus, I felt a little bit like Lucille Ball, which is always a good thing in my opinion.  Also, those pockets aren't just for decoration!  They fit both my lipstick and my phone, ya know, the essentials

 Outfit Details 
Betty Dotty Mustard Dress c/o House of Dots 
Schools Out Navy Heels c/o Poetic License 
Butterfly Brooch | Vintage 
Hair Scarf | Vintage
Belt | Similar




Like Amelia, I got to spend the weekend family!  I hung out with my grandma, and lounged around on her amazing 2nd story wrap around porch (in case you missed the post about her house, find it here).  I went over to work on her computer + iPad since I'm the unofficial family tech girl, and ended up also teaching her how to use Facebook a little better.  She actually already had the hang out it, I was super impressed, she also texts... which is awesome, who doesn't love texting their grandma?!  She's the most amazing woman ever, and ever time I go to her house I'm reminded of how badly I need to learn how to sew like her and how I need to up my pie baking game.

I went over in my new House of Dots Mary Peptia Dress which might be one of my new favorites.  I'm definitely a sucker for houndstooth and I love a dress I can wear to work OR outside of work and still feel cute.  The dress has a velvet collar + cuffs and really big pockets (bigger than the average lipstick pocket).  The dress came with a really cute wide belt but because I have such a short torso, sadly, I can't really wear wide belts without looking a bit awkward; so, I moved the cute little velvet bow onto a skinnier belt!  ALSO, the dress is lined in adorable pink + white polka dot fabric! It's under the collar, inside the pockets and under the hemline AND it has a full circle pink satin underskirt that is finished with pink cotton lace.  Also, please excuse the messy ponytail at the end, it got quite windy and I gave up. ; )

And because sometimes, at the end of photos, my hair is pissing me the f*ck off. Ponytail. haha
Outfit Details
Mary Peptia Dress c/o House of Dots
Vivienne Westwood Cherry Lady Dragon Slingbacks  |  no longer sold
(but keep your eye on eBay if you're searching for a pair!)


What does you favorite winter dress look like? Where's it from?

17 comments:

  1. Both of you dolls look amazing as always. <3
    I've been meaning to ask for a while now since I'm looking to purchase a pair of the Vivienne Westwood heels used. How is the fit? I'm a half size and I'm torn on what size to start hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The minor details on these, like the under trim or mustard back, demonstrate amazing thought and craftsmanship. I am sold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these dresses but I don't know if I'm looking at the right website... Is a double xl really only a 21 inch waist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Liz that's the half measurement which can be a tad confusing but they walk you through the measurements at the top of the size chart page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, sweet lady! <3


    And I actually find that they fit a bit roomy, but for reference, both pairs of mine are 37's and I wear a US 6 or 6.5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree, the craftsmanship is beautiful and I ALWAYS love a brand that pays attention to detail. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz, like Jean says above, what they probably want you to do is double the measurements for each size, so the 21 inches is actually the "flat measurement", which would need to be doubled. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Immensely lovely outfits, ladies! Katie, you're so forunate that you mom loves vintage. I've always wanted a family member who really shared my passion for the past like that. Thankfully though, my mom does enjoy thrifting and yard saling (usually for newer items) - in fact, she was the one who got me hooked on both as a child. She was trying to make ends meet and it seemed like the funnest thing on earth this vintage loving little girl, so total win-win for both of us. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those dresses! I like the back of Katie's a lot and the details like the lining on Amanda's are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these outfits are beyond adorable! I especially dig the first one! It offers one of my favorite colors lately, mustard!


    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silver Cat Tea PartyFebruary 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM

    Love you outfit Amelia! That back is such a surprise but is so cute! June, that pink petticoat under the dress is amazing! I'm super impressed that it came attached to the dress <3 Also, I have the same problem with wide belts sadly :(. Love hearing about you ladies spending time with your families <3 So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Janey!! Mustard is my favorite color, and it's not easy finding super cute mustard clothes to wear! I really like how the navy balances out the mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much! I agree! When I first saw this dress I wasn't expecting the back, and so when I did see it I fell so much more in love. I knew I had to show y'all how great it is.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Victoria! The details in both of these dresses are what take them from being cute to being freakin' phenomenal. I love when designers truly go above and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I 100% agree Jessica. I don't know if I would appreciated vintage/antiques so much if I hadn't been raised by her :) That is a total win-win! Some of the BEST things are found while thrifting. Plus, Mom time is the best!

    ReplyDelete