Budget Friendly Beauty:
NYX Lip Cream + Wet 'N' Wild Mega Last

Saturday, February 21, 2015

NYX Matte Lip Cream: Sydney  |  Amsterdam  |  Antwerp  |  Addis Ababa
The hair + makeup section on our blog is admittedly a bit sparse.  We both have a passion for beauty products + learning new hairstyles, etc. we just don't touch on the subject very often.  Recently, we were searching for some new lip colors to try that wouldn't break the bank but still had good color and a matte finish.... and that actually turned out to be rather difficult.  So, we thought we'd share what we found with y'all.

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Sydney
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam
Pinks usually aren't really my thing, but Ulta was having a BOGO 50% off sale, so I snagged Sydney because it was $3.  I'm really happy I did because I loved it!  I think one of the fun things about having darker red hair is that pink + red lip color don't clash with my hair (though I steer clear of oranges).  My first choice, the reason I purchased anything in the first place, was the red Amsterdam color and I wasn't thrilled with the shade; it's great, just not what I was looking for, definitely more of an orange-based red than a violet-based red.

The product itself was really easy to apply, it lasted for a long time and although it dried matte, it didn't make my lips feel dry (like Lime Crime does, which I basically had to rub off and completely reapply multiple times daily until I switched to my go-to Stila Stay All Day in Beso).  I'll definitely be taking advantage of it more now, the fact that it's so inexpensive ($6 a tube) will make me feel a lot braver about trying new colors.


When most people think of the 1950s 'look' they always think of red lipstick.  I usually stick to this classic look, but it's always so fun to branch out.  I own way too many lipsticks, but I can't help how much I love them.  Wet 'N' Wild Mega Last lipsticks are what I wore growing up when I first started wearing lipstick, and recently I re-discovered how amazing these lipsticks are.  For anywhere from $1-$2 the price is unbeatable. 

Wet 'N' Wild Mega Last Lip Color in Wine Room
Wet 'N' Wild Mega Last Lip Color in Purty Persimmon
"Wine Room" is, in my opinion, the perfect daily wear lipstick for work.  It's nothing too bold, but it's just enough color to look composed.  "Purty Persimmon" is my favorite 'dupe' for MAC's "Lady Danger", and I actually like it better than Lady Danger.  These colors don't dry my lips out like a lot of other lipsticks I've worn, which is fantastic.  Admittedly, if you are used to long-wear liquid lipsticks (like I am now) you'll have to be sure to reapply every couple hours. 

My favorite thing about Wet 'N' Wild's Mega Last Lip Color is that the price point is amazing for how pigmented the lipsticks are.  For the most precise application, I would suggest using a lipliner before applying this lipstick. 



What's your favorite "drugstore" lip color?

24 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, both of you look fabulous! Total hair jealousy over here! I'd also like to point out that Katie's Bernie sample is so perfect :). I'm glad you're expanding your beauty posts, I truly love them (and you)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently fell in love with Rimmels London's Provocalips (reviewed here: https://tulipnoireblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/review-rimmel-london-provocalips-16-hour-kiss-proof-lip-color/ ). It's a lip stain and when applied properly it actually stays all day. I'm always looking for new lip color though and these look like good finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love NYX lip color so much. I think it's their butter lip gloss that I have in a color called red velvet. I'm a huge puss when it comes to red lipstick even though I'm told it works ok with my coloring, I just know it ends up on my teeth 85% of the time. Anyway, red velvet is the bees knees and when worn over macs russian red, it's perfection. It deepens it a bit and adds some shine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the $3.50 off $10 at Ulta. Also, I like to take my cheaper lipsticks to work, unless I lose them..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never wear lipstick because I'm always worried about it getting on my teeth or on the cups I drink from and having to reapply it all the time. Do you have tips for not getting it on things?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My latest obsession is Colour Pop. At $5 each it feels like Christmas when I open a box of 6 or 8 new lip and eye colors!
    https://colourpop.com/product-category/lippie-stix-and-pencils/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stains are longer lasting and less likely to smudge. The Cynthia Rowley stains from Birchbox are fantastic for everyday.
    https://www.birchbox.com/shop/cynthia-rowley-beauty-creamy-lip-stain-trio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colors! I was mad for Nyx Soft Matte Cremes but feel that they don't last nearly long enough. Current obsession = Colour Pop! Budget friendly @$5 . Lasts HOURS AND HOURS! Lasted all though my Mardi Gras day and I ate and drank a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purty Persimmon is my go to summer color, I love it. I can't go out in it without getting tons of complements.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nyx matte lipstick in alabama. It was the first matte red lipstick I ever bought and I fell in love instantly!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a real big fan of these highly pigmented matte finish lipsticks by NYX... also they don't test on cute little baby animals which is really important to me!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually really love Revlon's balm stains (I forget the official name, they come in packaging that looks like a big crayon!), they aren't matte and don't set like a liquid lipstick, but they're pretty highly pigmented and definitely leave a stain on your lips for hours and hours after they've worn off! They're also pretty moisturizing, which is great if you have dry lips and have a problem with liquid or matte formulas. My go-to at the moment are Sephora's cream lip stains though, holy moly - BEST liquid lipstick formula I have tried so far! Super pigmented formula that goes on smooth but isn't drying, and they laaast! And at $12 a pop, they aren't that much more expensive than Revlon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Nathalie VintageFebruary 26, 2015 at 12:43 PM

    NYX Monte Carlo is my favorite, it is a blue based matte doe foot applicator lipstick. I like to use it along with Jordana's sedona red lip liner which makes it a little less dry. Wet 'N' Wild Mega Last lipsticks are awesome! I bought every red shade they had and two pink shades. In the summer I like to wear orange lipsticks purty persimmon is one of my staple orange lipsticks which I use with out a lip liner since it is so hard to find a great orange lip liner to match. Its a great dupe for macs So Chaud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree about how great Wet 'N' Wild mega Last lipsticks are! The pigmentation is insane and a lot of them remind me of Macs colors, and for such a cheap price..they seriously couldn't be any better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being Cruelty-Free is super important to me, too Taylor. I love that there are some great make-up companies out there who also have really high standards and ethics when it comes to animal testing.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that color, because it's so so rich. It's such a lovely shade of red for sure, and I bet it looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's the best Summer color! I totally agree. I think it catches people's eyes so it's bound to ask for compliments.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. How have I never heard of Colour Pop! ?? Those colors are amazing! Where do you purchase yours from, the website?


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am currently browsing their site and amazing with how great everything looks! I definitely need to place an order with them!


    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've found that liquid lipsticks don't come off on things or get on my teeth as much as other lipsticks. Also, more matte shades stay put a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a good idea! I love Ulta so much. My husband even gave me a gift card to Ulta for my Valentine's Day present! I always tend to keep my cheap lipsticks in my purse and my expensive ones at home. haha :)


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds like such an amazing combination! I love russian red it just dries my lips out SO bad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That color looks great! I love how deep and rich it is! Plus, if it lasts all day? What could be better!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're seriously the best--thank you so much! I am in love with this Bernie. I would take it to church and marry it if I could..and if that wouldn't be weird. <33

    ReplyDelete