Toile + Trouble

Friday, January 2, 2015


There are entire forums dedicated to identifying and recreating the amazing + timeless Dita Von Teese look above.  Her Toile Dress by Vivienne Westwood pops up at events from time to time and I always fall in love, it even caused me to develop an affinity for blue toile.  I have a blue toile Bernie Dexter dress and it's one of my favorites, until I can sew, I'm giving up on trying to find anything closer to this look.  So, when I chose the Brenda Dress in Blue Floral Print, I didn't do so thinking it would remind me of Dita's look... but it did!  The similarities don't really span past the color scheme, but it's still awesome!

I LOVE accessories but I don't have the best luck finding them.  This particular outfit though, has some good ones!  I picked this little embroidered brooch up at a flea market for $3 and was so excited, I've never really seen anything quite like it before!  The Jelly Sparkle Doctor Bag was a Christmas  gift from Collin, he did so well, it's absolutely HUGE and it's so much fun, I love carrying it around.  And, I thrifted the shoes for $8! Such a good find!


Outfit Details
Silver Sparkle Doctor Bag  |  Unique Vintage (sold out: similar, here in pink)
Brown Lace-up Heels  |  Aldo (thrifted)
Floral Needlepoint Brooch  |  Vintage
Nylon Hair Scarf  |  Vintage


Whenever June and I are together we literally don't stop talking.  Since, we are long distance BFF's in different time-zones who work full time jobs and are married it's even hard to schedule in phone calls so our together time in especially meaningful.  This dress reminds me of June, because one day we had a full conversation about what types of polka dots we prefer. I know it seems really silly, but it's so refreshing to be so comfortable with someone that you can have a conversation about something as simple as polka dots.  At the end of the conversation, we agreed to disagree, because I generally prefer small polka dots, and June is a fan of big polka dots.

The great polka-dot debate of 2014 will forever make this dress remind me of June.  The Olivia Dress  would be the most fantastic Summer dress!  I was a little chilly while wearing it sans a cardigan, but the neckline is so cute that I didn't want to cover it up.  I love the simplicity of the dark navy polka dots so I kept my accessories super light for this outfit.  One thing I did want to point out, this dress runs super small.  I'm wearing a medium in it even though the size chart says I should be an extra-small.  This is one of those situations where e-mailing the customer service about sizing was a lifesaver! 
Outfit Details 
Olivia Dress c/o Queen of Heartz
Dynamic Debut Heel | Modcloth 
Magnolia Brooch | Vintage
Carpet Bag | Vintage


Is there a look you love are have searched EVERYWHERE for a piece to recreate it?
Also, what are your favorite kind of polka dots? ; )

18 comments:

  1. Oooooh, that scalloped neckline is so pretty. I love Queen of Heartz, but their dresses are always just a *tad* bit expensive for me. I'm sure the quality must be great, though. You both look wonderful!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladies, you both look fabulous!!! I'm a huge toile fan, too, and have been my whole life. One of my treasured stuffed animals is a little cream and cranberry hued toile teddy bear that I bought myself as a teenager. It resides in my office/craft room/photo studio (let's just say one little basement room can really do a lot if you're ambitious! :D) and always brings a smile to my face - much like toile (and similarly patterned) clothing itself.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that jelly bag! My goodness it's so cute!! And conversations about polka dots? Count me in! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw you both look wonderful again. That Dita outfit is one of my favourite looks, so I love that it's a nod to that. The jelly bag is just divine. I love polka dots, have done since I was little...I prefer mine big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, you both look gorgeous! I LOVE that Dita dress, and I think June's outfit is such a great recreation while still being unique and creative. And Amelia, I prefer dots about the size you're wearing or larger; I am pretty curvy about the hips, and I think wearing smaller dots especially on my lower half makes me look larger. (Not that I think I'm too big, it's simply more flattering on me to have bigger patterns!) But I think the dots on your dress are the perfect size!
    You are both perfect.
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both look amazing once again in those beautiful dresses!! I really love that jelly bag! xo

    http://cherrymilla82.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm that Dita dress is indeed amazing but your dress is lovely too!!! And that polkadot dress - how adorable is that neck details!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Dita dress makes me think of a designer who is inspired by the Japanese lolita styles. She has this one dress that points in the front but poofs on the side like that:

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/340655159289241079/ (2nd dress from the left)

    http://www.lovestohave.com/images/upload/Linda_Friesen_Polare_Maastricht.jpg (same dress without the belt)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend always comments on the amount of polkadot clothing I own. I think I like the bigger polka dots better... I really have too much polka dots

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg Junes outfit is amazing! I love everything about it. It's so good. Also I'm impressed with your husband's good taste in bags lol. I love it.

    I love a good polka dot, but I feel like my preference for the size tends to depend on the piece of clothing itself. Maybe I would say big polka dots on most dresses though. Speaking of which Amelia's dress is too cute. I just love the neckline and details of the cut. Super flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of you look amazing! I tend to prefer smaller dots too, but that dress really works with the medium/largish size.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The jelly bag is beyond amazing! It's nice to have a bigger purse that is still adorable!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! I think June looks fantastic in her Dita inspired look. She definitely makes it her own!


    I totally understand that! After this dress, I'm rethinking my polka dot preference!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Dita outfit seriously is so stunning. I can't tell if it's the outfit or her, but either way it's perfect. I love June's spin on it--it's so classy.


    Polka Dots are such a fun discussion topic. I love seeing everyone's opinions.


    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it the best!? I love that it's glittery!


    Right? All good conversations should include polka dots!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. The scalloped neckline is great! It's a cute extra detailing to such a beautiful dress.


    Thank you! It fits so well--it's a size Medium which should be huge on me, but it worked out lovely!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fantastic! That sounds like one extra special teddy! My closet room is also my craft room AND a drum room so I totally understand that.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are pretty expensive and we both experienced some sizing discrepancies that were a little frustrating. The clothing is so beautiful though so when I slipped on the little polka dot dress I forgot about everything. haha


    xox

    ReplyDelete