Malalani + Man Trap

Monday, January 19, 2015

We hadn't seen each other since November so when I decided I'd be able to visit for a weekend trip. Amelia + I instantly started thinking of fun places to explore.  We always wake up really early so that we have extra long days together, so we decided to explore Downtown Augusta.  First stop, was the Imperial Theatre.


In addition to getting to see each other for the first time since NOVEMBER (it was a LONG 2 1/2 months), this was our first time using our new cameras for an outfit post!  We've been using them for everything else, but we're definitely still figuring it out and having SO much fun doing it.

A long time ago, one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram, Mira Mae, was wearing an amazing top (it was the Lorlei top) and it turned out to be from Powderpuff Boutique and that's how I stumbled across the brand and I've loved it ever since.  While owner + head designer, Paula-Jane, doesn't sew every piece herself, she's the brains behind the designs, pattern + sample making and everything is made ethically in Melbourne, AU.  Also, if you want to read something TRULY inspiring, read Paula-Jane's story about her incredibly scary, near-fatal car accident and her amazing return to the world of reproduction fashion here.  She's seriously one badass, hard-working lady and we're glad Powderpuff is back.


I really love wing bust dresses, it's actually one of my favorite things to look for when I'm shopping vintage dresses but I've always been a bit afraid that it would 1) draw attention to my boobs and 2) show too much cleavage.  But, when I had the chance to style the Malalani Wing Bust Dress, I wasn't about to turn it down because of my own apprehension.  Not to mention it was inspired by one of my absolute favorite late, great designers, Alfred Shaheen

Holy f*ck, I'm so glad I got this dress.  This is seriously one of the most beautiful dresses I own now.  The quality is just.... phenomenal, it's made of a gold shantung which is one of the fabrics I considered for my wedding dress.  The straps are adjustable, it has a little side pocket + there are elastic panels for a bit of added stretch on the sides.  I really felt this like dress would be flattering on any body type and for ladies who hate wearing petticoats, you don't need one, the dress has amazing shape without it.


Outfit Details
Malalani Wing Bust Dress c/o Powderpuff Boutique
Dependably Darling Heel  |  Modcloth
Cherry Necklace  | OASAP
Little Black Bag  |  Vintage


I've been experimenting with different ways to curl my hair now that I've cut off a few inches.  This is almost the final look I'm trying to achieve.  My hair..frankly sucks, and doesn't like to cooperate with me at all so for me this is a total accomplishment.  I've learned that for my hair to curl with foam rollers it has to be completely dry--lesson learned! It was a perfect day for my hair to kinda do what I wanted it to, because this fantastic outfit deserves nothing less.

As much as I love owning and wearing vintage clothing I just have to face the facts that I am a destructive, clumsy person who ruins everything nice.  Vintage clothing is so delicate, and since I'm not delicate I'm always looking for new vintage reproduction companies.  The 'Man Trap' Skirt and Evita Top by Powderpuff Boutique are some of the best pieces of clothing I've ever owned.  Seriously, both pieces fit like a glove and I feel super 'va va voom' in them.  I also love how versatile the pieces are.   The Evita Top is literally versatile, because you can cross the straps in the front (like how I have it) or wear it as a halter (seen here).  The 'Man Trap' Skirt can be sexy or sophisticated, which makes it a perfect addition to my wardrobe.  So much so that I plan on wearing the skirt next week on my work conference.


Outfit Details
'Man Trap' Skirt - Belladone Rose c/o Powderpuff Boutique 
Evita Top in Black c/o Powderpuff Boutique 
Nana Heels | Bait Footwear 
Big Red Hair Flower c/o NicCoCoCreations


// PS. International shipping is $25 flat rate, worldwide.  We do a fair amount of international shopping and were stoked about this because it's super reasonable.

// Can't wait to show you what's in store for next time...

What's your favorite new brand, ladies?
We'd love to hear!
 

20 comments:

  1. Love love love both these looks! I knew that Powderpuff Boutique top looked familiar--saw it on Miss Victory Violet. Man Trap skirt is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these new looks! Amanda, I totally love those glasses more and more every time I see them. Don't be shocked if I totally copy you and end up getting them for myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Brittany! I think we loved these outfits so much that it boosted our moods even. They are that good. haha


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kimmie! I love Amanda's glasses so much! They come in a few different color ways and I'm always SO tempted to buy some for myself.


    I bet they would look fantastic on you! If you do end up getting them post a picture--we'd love to see you in them.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Connie!


    Yep! Miss Victory Violet looked AMAZING in the 'Evita' top. It's such an amazing and flattering addition to my wardrobe.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously I need another pair of glasses like a hole in the head...but love em! Also your new haircut is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOH LA LA you gorgeous ladies! <3 <3 <3 I looooooove both of these outfits so much! They really show off your figures and are great colors too! Perfect as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking gorgeous once again ladies!! xo I just recently got into the Australian vintage reproduction brand Retrospecd. I own one of their dresses so far, with another on the way! :)
    http://cherrymilla82.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the looks! I could never rock the strap-top though, adore the skirt. My new favourite brand must be Lindy Bop, I ordered a dress there (couldn't resist the flowers & pink piping) and found out that the quality is actually really good! Fully lined and a nice heavy cotton with a tiny bit of stretch. Not sure if all of their dresses are like that, but this one did make the favourite list. I also still love HOH for their fabrics and fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You both look amahhhhhzing. Such babes!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ladies you look like as hot as the surface of the sun! I'm especially smitten with elegantly alluring gold dress. Wow x a million!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh Katie you look incredible, I actually gasped!


    And Amanda, you too! Your waist looks amazing in this dress.


    I feel a bit spesh to see you two lovely ladies in outfits by P-J! She once hailed from my city and had her own shop here, so sweet x

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowzers! you gals look amazing! definitely a wild and frisky duo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Jessica! We were both blown away with the fantastic quality of these dresses. Even pictures can't do them justice.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're too too sweet, Akira! That means so much to me! <33


    Paula-Jane is amazing--a total role-model in our eyes!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Mark! You always have the nicest things to say!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many good Australian brands! Retrospecd have a strapless dress that's made of the same material as my skirt!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jolien! I have some Lindy Bop dresses that are made just like that, and I really love them! Unfortunately, I do have some that are less than awesome, but they are still beautiful!


    xox

    ReplyDelete