Guest Junebug Sammi: Disney Stowaway

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Happy Saturday, peaches!  For those who don't know me, I'm Sammi from The Soubrette Brunette, and I'm pleased as punch to be guest posting here on Junebugs and Georgia Peaches today.  While June + Amelia are off gallivanting (or working, in Amelia's case) amongst the palm trees, I'm stuck in snowy upstate New York, dreaming of Disney World.

If there is anywhere in the world that my wardrobe truly belongs, it's Walt Disney World.  I love whimsy, kitsch and costume, and there is no better place to showcase my quirky dress collection than in the land of the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot.  I went to Disney World last January for the first time in several years, and I'm dying to go back... but for now, I'll just have to live vicariously though June, who is currently enjoying her honeymoon in the wonderful world of Disney.

minnie mouse polka dot dress
Pieces pictured are from Lindy Bop, Le Bomb Shop and ModCloth.
Firstly, I think it's imperative to have at least one Minnie-Mouse-inspired ensemble for a Disney trip -- and for someone who loves polka dots as much as I do, choosing just one option might be difficult!  These are some of the polka dotted pieces currently in my closet, but I'm definitely coveting this other option from Lindy Bop (it reminds me of both Minnie and Mary Poppins!).  I also love having fun with Disney-themed accessories, like these embellished ears from House of Mouse, heart-shaped sunglasses and Minnie Mouse bag!
lindy bop polka dot
a  //  b  //  c  //  d  //  e  //  f

I'm definitely a fan of thematic dressing, and these dresses make me feel like I could've walked right out of the stories of Cinderella, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland.


disney dresses
Pieces pictured are from eBay, Pinup Girl Clothing and Etsy (vintage).
I have a slight obsession with novelty prints, especially those that have anything to do with food.  I essentially plan all of my vacations around what we're eating -- and this is especially true in WDW, where there are so many wonderful restaurants and things to eat!  One of my favorite things to do is have tea at The Grand Floridian.  I also love the character breakfasts at The Crystal Palace, any of the 1950s restaurants in Hollywood Studios, and the Beaches & Cream Soda Shop at the Beach Club Resort.  I guess my choices in prints reflect my preference in eateries!

novelty print
Pieces pictured are from ModCloth, eBay and Bernie Dexter.
I am always astounded to see how June and Amelia manage to pack for their trips (in vintage Samsonite, no less!).  For instance, it can be a real challenge to figure out how to pack a petticoat, and sometimes I forgo bringing most accessories in order to fit everything in my luggage!  However, I do like to bring a brooch or two on most trips, as they don't take up much space and won't get tangled like necklaces do.  I don't usually wear a lot of jewelry, but like a lot of vintage-loving ladies, I have a fairly sizable brooch collection.  These subtle Disney-inspired pins would be the perfect accent for any wardrobe!

disney pin
Grape soda pin: Geeky U
Disneyland "D" pin: Match Accessories
Mary Poppins "Sister Suffragette" brooch: Flapper Doodle

I know not everyone will opt to follow my lead when it comes to what one wears, but the way I see it, if you can't have fun with fashion at the Happiest Place on Earth, where can you??  So if want to wear a Muppet print frock to Muppet Vision 3D, a 1950s poodle skirt to the Sci-Fi Dine-in or a dirndl dress to the Biergarten in Epcot.. why not?!  Disney World is definitely my happy place, and since my #1 rule of personal style is to wear what brings you joy, I can't possibly resist dressing in a way that reflects all of the magic, wonder and delight that Disney World represents.

hell bunny oktober
Pieces pictured are from I'm Your Present, ModCloth and Hell Bunny.
What about you?  Do you like to dress up in a Disney-fied way?  
If you have any photos from past Disney trips, please share them!  (And if you've been to Disney World or Disneyland, what's your favorite ride?  Mine is the Haunted Mansion!)  

Thanks so much to June + Amelia for asking me to guest post today!  Have a wonderful weekend, and I hope to see you around The Soubrette Brunette!

xox Sammi

26 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Disney World since the third grade. I haven't been to Disneyland yet. My favorite ride was Figment's Journey into Imagination. I liked all the older ones, even back then, like the Carousel of Progress or what ever it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indiana Jones was everyone's favorite at our trip though I liked the tea cups too. as always, I love your outfits, Sammi. A nice look at many of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved Figment, too! And we always have to go to the Carousel of Progress when we go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the Indiana Jones one at Hollywood Studios? I never liked the tea cups as a kid, but now I love them! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Peter Pan's Flight at Disneyland, and Pirates of the Caribbean for something more adventurous! Where did you find that pie purse?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Disney World / Land, but if I ever make it there, I'd want to have some fun and dress up in fun outfits like yours! They're all so perfect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to wdw for the very first time for my 30th all the way from the UK. I made all my own Disney dresses from Vintage patterns. Here's my toy story swing dress when I met Daisy, and me and Pluto dancing in Main Street in my Snow White dress. Hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those novelty prints so much!

    I went to Disneyland when I was real young and barely have a memory of it. I haven't been able to go since then.. I hear only good things! So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No it is part of Adventureland in Disneyland...official name is the Temple of Doom.


    Funny how our tastes change from childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have never been to Disney World or Disneyland but i am DYING to go :) i love your style!! i am also a HUGE fan of novelty food print! i love all your dresses especially the one with the cakes in the top right corner of your photo collection :) any chance you could tell me the brand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your Buzz Lightyear dress (which was amazing!) on Instagram, but I can't seem to see any photos here -- I'd love to see your Snow White dress! You are much braver than I am; I've never ridden the Tower of Terror!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe it'll work this time.... I also have my toy story Toms on which I painted myself

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh Love this! It's like disneybounding, which i absolutely love to do. I've done many disneybounds, but I've been trying to incoroporate more vintage inspired ones. :]


    https://www.pinterest.com/nydialjimenez/my-disneybound-outfits/


    I don't always get to wear them to disney, but that doesnt stop me from rocking them anywhere else. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope at DisneylandJanuary 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM

    I love to dress up to go to Disneyland sometimes. It helps that I'm an AP so I don't tour the parks the same way that non-residents/vacationers do. So I'm totally with you on themeing your outfit to the venue. :) I have the same pink polka dot dress from ModCloth and have worn it a few times to DL as well as to 2013's D23 Expo. Anyway, my favorite ride is Alice in Wonderland. I hope to eventually hit up WDW one day and take some of my favorite novelty printed outfits there to take cute pictures in (though I hear the weather sucks! lol) I loved the outfits you posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sammi, you are another fine welcome to this sisterhood of junebugs and peaches! you have an awesome style that matches theirs very well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually had mentioned Disneybounding when I was writing this post, and then took it out, haha! I'm totally fascinated with the concept and would love to do it (though it's probably easier if you live near one of the parks)! You look gorgeous in your PUG dress! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much! That dress was from ASOS, and it was a very lucky eBay snag (I'd been looking for it for over a year)! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your warm welcomes, Mark! Sammi is not only a fantastic blogger, but an adorable, amazing little lady! I wish she lived closer so we could take over the world together with our awesome-ness and bangs.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too too too cute!! You look beautiful, Snow.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to Disneybound so badly! I have so many ideas in my head, but I just never make it to DisneyWorld when I'm in Orlando. Both of you ladies look absolutely stunning. So perfect for Disney.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so jealous!! I bet you have some fantastic outfits to show-off!


    I love Walt Disney World so much, but I unfortunately haven't been in years. The weather in Orlando is just super rainy. Every day it rains, pretty much.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh WOW! I love it when that happens :) what a lucky find. it looks great on you :) i know the feeling of looking for something for ages. I've been on the hunt for the hell bunny "Astrid" flamingo dress for just over a year :p so far no luck though :/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks guys. Hoping to go to Dapper Day at Disney Paris in September. Working on new dresses now, including a Gaston inspired swing dress.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope at DisneylandFebruary 3, 2015 at 1:27 AM

    Nothing as fabulous as your wardrobe, but I'm getting there. I love to disneybound too or to wear dresses that have a print that resembles a character (like my Han Solo dress). I have heard that it rains a lot in Orlando, which is so foreign to me as a CA girl, so I guess if I ever do go, I'll have to plan out cute outfits that go with rain ponchos. ;) I hope you get to go to Disney sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete