A Smooth Sea...

Sunday, January 11, 2015

a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 

I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.  It's insanely thick and knotty so I've always had relatively short hair.  In college all I wanted was mermaid-long hair so I had been growing it out for the last 3 years.  After my wedding (and then Amanda's wedding) I knew I was due for a good change.  I had been getting length removed slowly, but recently I had about 4 inches cut off and I already feel so much better!  My long hair became my security blanket over time so I feel slightly naked without it, but now that it's shorter, I'm hoping I'll find a lot of fun new 50s and 60s styles to try out.

When I saw this blue anchor print dress I instantly was inspired to do my best sailor impersonation.  I had this sailor hat saved from a Halloween costume of Michaels so I couldn't help but wear it with this dress.  Looking at the dress I knew I would love the pussycat bow at the neck, but I didn't know that I would love the drop-waist shape of the dress.  It's totally not something I would normally gravitate towards, but the shape is surprisingly flattering.  Also, I can't complain, because I know most of you ladies have it SO much worse than me, but after being outside for a little while I had to grab my red peacoat so my little shoulders didn't freeze.  I don't know how y'all live with such cold weather!  The peacoat didn't totally throw of my sailor vibes, because, in my opinion, red and blue looks nautical.


Outfit Details 
Blue Anchors Etta Dress c/o Heart of Haute 
Red Flats | Old (I love these and these!)
Red Peacoat | Old (Similar)
Sailor Hat | Halloween

Do you have any unconventional fashion pieces that you wear (like my sailor hat)?
If so, what are they? 

23 comments:

  1. You're the cutest! This color is so lovely on you, and I love the sailor theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex SteinþórsdóttirJanuary 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM

    Oh I love the little bow and that shade of blue is the cutest. It looks really good on you!
    and YES! I always envy how you girls can run around in heels and without pantyhose all the time, i'd love too! So many of my nice outfits are locked up in the back of my closet because of winter season in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the perfect figure for dropped waist dresses! This one is lovely on you! You'd hate it up here where I live - we've got at least 5 inches of snow and it's waaaayyy below zero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have insanely thick hair as well! I used to buzz it off to make my life easier! Now i love it long and keep it shoulder length. It does get so tangly! Weekly brush outs, as I call them, help! I just brush it out, grin through the pain, and then take a shower to chill it out haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love that dress on you :D I totally get the hair thing.. you wait years to grow out to mermaid length and then it just becomes too much. That naked feeling will go away once you start styling your hair and seeing how awesome it is without the extra weight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dying over how cute you are in this outfit. Wahhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I KNEW this dress would look great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yah, the dress looks amazing! I had the same surprised feeling when I tried on a drop-waist dress. Totally underrated dress type :]

    I really like this outfit! -- woot nautical! super cuteee

    ReplyDelete
  9. RockabellaqueenElsaJanuary 14, 2015 at 3:51 AM

    My hair is a lot finer and thinner than I'd like, I've grown it out from a bob to chest length and think the length is weighing it down. But with my mum , sister, friends and hairdresser saying stick to a trim every couple of months it's staying this way

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a super-cute dress, I'm generally not one for a nautical theme (I think living by the sea is enough nautical-ness for me!), but I still think you make a cute sailor, or should that be...sailstress...sailoress? Anyway, you're cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. <3 It's funny you say that, because I think YOU'RE the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is such a nice shade of blue. Definitely something you don't see often.


    It's finally becoming that time of year for me where it gets cold for a month. I respect everyone SO much for being cute in the freezing cold weather. I don't know how y'all do it!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I was unsure, because of my wide hips, but I really love it.


    I would cry! I can't handle the cold at all...I'm a little baby ;)


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's such a pain! People don't realize how frustrating it is to have tangly-thick hair. I try to brush it once a week...but that doesn't always happen. haha
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, darling!


    Exactly! I anticipated it for so long that when it was finally long I was over it. haha I've been curing it like normal so I'm finally becoming okay with it. hah


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're a genius!!


    I seriously love everything about it. The fit and the color are both fantastic. Heart of Haute never lets me done.


    xox <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are definitely underrated! I think they scare too many people!


    Thank you babe!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always heard getting it trimmed helps with that! I bet you look fantastic.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you pretty lady!


    haha That makes perfect sense! You see enough of it so I bet nautical theme would get old quick!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Silver Cat Tea PartyJanuary 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM

    I have this dress! <3 It's super cute on you! I love how Heart of Haute makes dresses that are flattering on so many different sizes. I love the feel of wearing this dress... the drop waist and shorter skirt just have such a fun feel! :D Check mine out here: http://silvercatteaparty.blogspot.com/2014/02/heart-of-haute-and-their-hot-mod-styles.html

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with Shortest and receive dollars for every click on your short urls.

    ReplyDelete