Suitcases + Stripes

Saturday, November 22, 2014


I know it's super opposite, but when the it gets colder outside I tend to actually wear shorter dresses.  My shorter dresses always look better with tights than my long dresses so I break them out once it's cold enough to wear tights.  The Farro Dress from Hello Holiday is one of the most versatile dresses in my wardrobe.  It's appropriate for my office, it's easy to quickly throw on to run errands, and it's super cute for a night out with my girlfriends or Michael.  Most of the dresses from Hello Holiday fit that description, which makes the possibilities endless. ;)

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I hate the color black.  I blame it on all the kids teasing me calling me Wednesday Addams in middle school...back then it wasn't a compliment and it totally ruined the color black for me.  Don't get me wrong I love The Addams Family, but definitely not a comparison that 11 year old me appreciated.  This dress doesn't bring me back to my middle school days luckily...although it does make me feel like a casual lady Beetlejuice.  I don't own many dress with decorative necklines, but they are so much fun even though they minimize any brooch accessorizing.  I knew I wanted to add color to the outfit, and I hadn't had a chance to wear my new red oxford flats.  These shoes were $5 from a hair extension store...so they're probably not the best quality, but I love a cute cheap shoe.


Outfit Details 
Farro Dress c/o Hello Holiday 
Black Tights | Target 
Red Oxfords | Hair Extension Store ;) 
Big Red Hair Flower c/o NicCoCoCreations



Like I said in our last post, once the cold weather hits, I trade my normal early '60s attire in for more mid-'60s looks.  Although I feel a bit self-conscious wearing them sometimes, I'll rock a wiggle dress any day I'm feeling brave, but shift dresses... I have no real reason for my aversion to them, I just don't buy them.  I suppose it's primarily because I've found a lot of them to be ill-fitting and in terrible color palettes + patterns. BUT, when I saw the Dolly Dress and it looks like the perfect amalgam of vintage influenced + modern, and I loved it.

I'm incredibly excited about the fit of this dress for many reasons but the first and most important is that it doesn't fit like a burlap sack.  It's fitted in all the right places, but it's not a wiggle and that's EXACTLY what I'm on the hunt for with this type of dress.   Also, the print looks like sprinkles + there are adorable little scallops at every major hemline.  Also, how about these knee socks?  They're one of the only good things that came out of my 3 years managing a Pac Sun in college and I've had these flats forever and always thought they looked awkward on, but I think what I was missing was pairing them with legwear.  Now I have my eye on the blue version of this dress.... I think I need it.


Outfit Details
Dolly Dress c/o Hello Holiday (also in blue)
Red Peacoat  |  Thrifted (similar 1, 2)
Black Knee Socks  |  Pac Sun (similar)
 Sophie Black Flats  |  BAIT Footwear
Cherry Clip c/o Pollypop Bouqitue


What does your favorite "casual day dress" look like?
Where's it from?

10 comments:

  1. Today, my favourite casual day dress was the Neverland print Jenny ;) Though for a true casual dress I tend to go for my Jeanette dress from Lindy Bop, though it looks a bit odd with a coat over it now it's cooling down so I might have to reassess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fave casual day dress is the Mia by Hell Bunny. She's divine. It's a little heavy for the summer so I'll have to retire her for a few months but I'm going to spend the entire season missing her cute little collar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the bottom scalloped edge on your dress, Modern June Cleaver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RockabellaqueenElsaNovember 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

    I have 3 favourites! A butterfly print AX Paris dress, a green and white polka dot vintage dress from the late 50s/early 60s and a cornflower shirt dress by Karen Millen but from a charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a fun time of year when this becomes our style 'norm'....and then it becomes freezing. aha
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the detail too. I'm seriously so tempted to buy that dress. She looks so darling in it.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. All 3 sound fantastic! I love a good shirt dress--they make the best casual dresses!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of my favorite casual dresses are by Hell Bunny. they make such good stuff! I love the collar on that dress it's so elegant!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that print is just too divine. I own the skirt version, but I still lust after the dress too. The cold weather is making me reassess my daily wear too! It completely throws me off.


    xox

    ReplyDelete