Sewing Patterns + Roses

Tuesday, November 11, 2014


June and I hadn't seen each other since her wedding so we made the most of our short weekend together.  We visited our favorite local park where we took advantage of it's beautiful scenery and basically acted like ourselves after a weekend with little-to-no-sleep... deliriously silly.  I'm sure our onlookers were pretty entertained with our antics.  My outfit was toned down compared to my usual bright colors, but the McCalls's Easy Sewing Guide print on this dress is one of the best prints that I own.  I haven't sewed in years, but I still love buying and collecting vintage sewing patterns.

Aside, from the great pattern the dress was also super flattering.  I'm used to my Bernie dresses featuring a shelf bust so this style was a nice change.  Not to mention the dress is basically a 'blank canvas' so you can accessorize as you wish, but y'all know I love red accents.


Outfit Details
Roxy Hair Flower c/o NicCoCo Creations
McCalls Pattern Pin Up Dress c/o Bernie Dexter
Glasses | Ray-Ban 
Pompeii Heels c/o Miss L Fire



So fun story, this super creepy dude came stealthing down the walkway to the area of the park we were hanging out in and decided to occupy himself by hanging out and pretending to be busy... while watching us.  This dude totally sucked at being sneaky... literally worlds worst creeper.  But, the funny part was that afterwards, we were talking about it and the first things we said were "Amelia: I was going to use one of those bricks if I had to"... "Me: I think I could probably stab someone with a teasing comb if I needed to." Yep... Amelia + June... obviously watched more Criminal Minds and Dexter than we ever should have.

I've had my eye on this dress for quite a while and was so stoked to finally wear it.  I've never tried this fit of Bernie before, but I felt it was true to size as far as her dresses are concerned.  The colors are BEAUTIFUL and the ruched bust has sort of a minimizing effect, which as y'all know... I absolutely love!  I also got to break out my new Miss L Fire's... I've been hoarding store credit forever for these.


Outfit Details
Big Red Hair Flower c/o NicCoCoCreations
Paris Dress in Yellow Roses c/o Bernie Dexter
Va Va Voluminous Petticoat  |  Modcloth
Gem and I Heels  |  Miss L Fire
Dolce & Gabbana Glasses c/o Coastal.com


We felt like our last official "goodbye" to warm weather should involve balloons.  Because, why the f*ck not.  We had a lot of fun with them, although a huge chunk of our time was spent untangling them from one another because it was incredibly windy! 

// Reminder: Our giveaway for any dress from Voodoo Vixen's AW '14 collection ends tomorrow at 11:59 pm! Make sure to get in those last minute entries!

What did you do this weekend?  What does your favorite dress look like?
(Does it have pockets? They're basically an invaluable addition to any dress!)

29 comments:

  1. Aww the both of you are so cute! Katie, I LOVE that dress, I think I might want to add that to my closet!! And you both are right, the perfect send-off to warm weather are balloons. I think I need loads of them, as Southern California is FINALLY getting a bit cooler. Not a whole lot, but a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are DARLING and omg Bernie sent you two gems! I especially love the McCalls print one. You both look beautiful <3

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I mean that situation is not so much funny, as it is gross...trying to take outfit photos while being quietly afraid for your lives #rapeculture. I know I'm being dramatic in my phrasing, it just makes me so mad because leering is on par with street harassment which can be so scary and ridiculous. It's like "mind your own business!" Don't mind my feminist rant.


    On a fashion note, you ladies look absolutely beautiful and the dresses are gorgeous. I love any photo shoot involving balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both look super cute! Those dresses are wonderful! I just got my first 3 Bernies this weekend and I'm dying to make an excuse to wear one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Amelia's dress! It looks perfect on you and that sewing pattern print is so cute. Looks good with the red accessories too. And June's is great too because I'm always a sucker for both yellow and rose prints. The balloons are a nice addition too.

    I'm glad you ladies didn't actually end up needing to use the brick of teasing comb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Paris dress is the only Bernie Dexter I've tried that came remotely close to fitting well. I do kind of love it though, and both of you look adorable in your dresses. At least the balloons made for awesome pictures even if you spent a helluva lot of time untangling them from one another ;) ha. I spent my weekend in pincurls untangling my 3-year-old nephew from my 1-year-old niece who he evilly kept insisting on pushing over for the entire weekend period I was sitting them. At least I managed to squeeze in 2 shoots for upcoming blogs around the babysitting duties. Ah pinup life: a weird mix of looking super glam half the time, and like your grandmother in her wetset for the rest :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These dresses and the pics are adorable! I'd be creeping too. ;) This last weekend hubby and I had a Harry Potter marathon and were big old couch potatoes. I loved it! :) Hmm, my favorite dress? I''m no sure that I can pick one. I love the ones I have with Disney prints on them, so I guess I'd say one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More absolutely perfect Bernie dresses! You two look gorgeous, as always. Love the balloon props too! The more colourful, the better, in my book :)

    ~Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sewing print dress is my new dream dress. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! You guys look fabulous in those dresses <3 June, yellow is really your color, & Amelia, that print is super nifty & I love the pops of red! I can't believe I don't have a Bernie yet--I'm really lusting after the Winter Wonderland print but it's hard to find now unless I get the skirt which I am really considering because I adore separates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look really fabulous on you guys. Love that sewing pattern print - it's a simple, easy to wear print, but I think it really speaks to any vintage loving lady who sees it, even if they don't sew themselves. But ugh... the creeper. Bricks, teasing combs, sharp heels, and big jewelry should always be close at hand, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You girls are always looking so fabulous I must say! Those dresses are absolutely beautiful!! I currently don't really own a favorite dress at the moment. Sad I know. I just haven't found that dress I'm absolutely in love with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorrre the sewing pattern dress! So cute. I think there needs to be a Marauders Map swing dress. Someone make that, please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well thank you so much, ma'am! I was so exited because she actually sent the dress home with me, we conducted a dress trade! So now it's in my closet and I can't wait to wear it!


    Hahaha we'll send some imaginary balloons your way and maybe it'll continue to cool down! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I KNOW! Didn't she?! They are absolutely AMAZING. I think she just "knows" us at this point. She must be telepathic. haha. Katie actually sent that dress home with me and I can't believe it.... all I can do is stare at it lovingly. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. OHHHH, did you!?! That's so exciting! Which 3 did you get!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha oh trust me, I can relate. I mean I know we were in bright colored dresses walking around with balloons but it was still f*cking creepy.


    And thank you so much! I totally agree, balloons make everything better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the dress compliments! The prints really were lustworthy. And we're glad we didn't have to break out crude weapons as well. Ugh. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. She sent it home with me, I'm so excited to wear it! It really IS amazing. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am under the full impression that Bernie does no wrong hahaha. And thank you so much. We know you love color, we totally thought of you when we were styling this post. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha thanks so much! A Harry Potter marathon?!?! That's basically the best thing you COULD do with a weekend. I mean.... seriously. Disney print dresses? That sounds adorable! I have some of the Pinup Girl Clothing Disney printed items and absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much, sweet lady! <3 I really do love yellow with my skin since it's olive based but for some reason never buy it... so weird. haha.

    And you really should watch hers + Unique Vintage's + Modcloth's Black Friday sales and maybe you can snag one for a discount! Also have you seen this yet?

    http://berniedexter.com/collections/dresses/products/veronique-in-winter-wonderland-print


    I want it so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my god... YES! That DOES need to exist. I think I might know a couple ladies that could make that happen. ; ) I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww thank you ma'am! I have lots of favorites but I think that's because I'm indecisive! haha. I hope you find your favorite soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much! She actually sent the dress home with me so I'm really excited about styling it! Eep! And yeah, you never know when you might need to turn something into a weapon... (how horrible is that to have to say? -_-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really?! I definitely usually have lots of extra room in the waist, but thankfully she includes belts with about 95% of her dresses so that can be easily remedied.

    And the untangling was totally worth it for the balloon fun! haha

    And hahaha what a busy weekend! I always feel EXACTLY like that... I will go anywhere in a wet set that I possibly can - no shame!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have two chelseas. One in Geisha print and one in the blue toile. Then I got a Paris dress in crysanthemum and the gold tudor pattern in another dress and just ordered dog print. I am obsessed but they fit so well and the lightweight fabric is great for Miami. Its still 80 here! I am also stalking the yellow rose print but in the chelsea style after this post. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Bernie Dexter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous, and so much fun! x

    ReplyDelete