Sideshow Zombies + Glamorous Ghouls!

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Halloween is upon us and Halloween is a "religion" in mine + Collins' household because Collin was born on Halloween.... I like to call him a Halloweenie.  We usually get really into the month and this year we are making up for lost time because last October we purchased our first home and didn't get to FULLY enjoy the "season"... we were still living out of boxes!  This was my 6th year participating in Nashville's Zombie Walk for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee and I actually dabble (and by dabble I mean, I'm very amateur and have a background in theater make-up from high school theater and some acting and fiddling around in a theater company) in special FX make-up so I always eagerly await zombie walk.  It was also my first year to take Collin... he was an AMAZING makeup subject, I was surprised with his patience about my perfectionism, he sat there while I painted ALL his wounds.

via
via

So, I love, love, love sideshow + circus memorabilia and history, that is actually the eventual theme of my dressing room (mixed with a little old Hollywood).  When I stumbled upon this vintage circus costume, I almost died.  The girl said it had been her mothers when she was a circus performer in the early '60s but that it might have been older because she said there had been a lot of hand-me-downs between performers.  I can't wait to buy a dress form because this will be it's "default" outfit.

I've had an interest in learning, at least maybe on a very "vanilla" level, a sideshow act and after a little research, I found myself drawn to fire eating so I ordered some fire eating torches... if, for nothing else, than to go with my costume.  I'll let you know if this goes anywhere. haha.  I'm not really sold on pursuing it and my interest will probably stop at the threshold, I wish I had the time to dedicate to learning more.  Collin hunted down his jumpsuit in a curiosities store and it has hilarious arm patches, apparently the pilot's nickname was Peaches.  Also, many a Top Gun reference was made.  Even though it rained all day, we ended up having an amazing time!


And because I loved my last year's costume so much...



Halloween is my favorite holiday and Michael generally humors me and dresses up with me!  My favorite Halloween was our first Halloween together when we were Jack and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas.  This year we were lucky enough to have a reason to dress up before Halloween even came around.  We were asked to participate in Halo Salon & Spa's Monsters Ball, which is their Annual Special FX Runway Show.  Not only was this a fun chance to dress up with Michael, but the runway show was to raise awareness and money for Hope House Augusta, a local non-profit treatment facility for women.  So basically, Creepy meets Charity...what a perfect combination.

photos: Tim Burket 

Every year the Monsters Ball has a different theme, and this year the theme was maritime.  That means the show included sexy sirens, a shark-bite victim, pirates and even a dead Navy sailor and his dead nurse.  We had so much fun recreating such a famous photo, and it gave me an opportunity to wear my wedding dress again.  Seriously, it's been super difficult finding a reason to wear a white dress out.  Of the entire group we were definitely the most toned down, but I don't think there could have been a better choice for us!  I loved that I could be in character and still wear all of my clothing and even rock an adorable up-do.  Not to mention the Augusta Zombie Walk was also this night so we got to fit in with all of the living dead.

crowd photos: Fred Swindell


Are you as crazy about Halloween as we are?
Does anyone know what their Halloween costume will be yet?

31 comments:

  1. I love halloween! My husband and I celebrate it by watching scary films and drinking pumpkin beer all month. I was thinking about doing a cemetary run (a short 5k/3 mile run) where you can dress up in costume. But I was busy that weekend. Maybe next year.

    Do you guys watch scary films? Zombie fans? I just noticed the other day that I love horrors about the occult. Susperia, Rosemary's Baby, Houseof the Devil, Posession (the 1980 movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you loving the new season of American Horror Story? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been swallowing fire professionally for 4 years now (and being an 11th grade teacher on the side)...if you are seriously considering it there are a lot of good resources out there--but it is absolutely not a "less" dangerous side-show act like they say. Plenty of people seriously injure themselves even though it's not sword-swallowing or the human blockhead. I have known more than a few people to collapse their lungs attempting it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last picture of you (Katie) and Michael, it's really beautiful! You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halloween is also my favorite!! I'm jealous of your SFX makeup skills. I know a few years ago I was hector Salamanca from breaking bad (old dude in wheelchair w bell) and I had to youtube how to make myself look like an old man with stuff in my makeup bag. It worked out pretty well, but I would love to have more skills in that arena. Especially since I watch face-off on the syfy channel where they compete doing monster makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys all look amazing!! That circus costume is an increeeedible find. Have you watched Freakshow? It's on Netflix still, I think. I'm definitely drawn to the whole circus thing, too. Oh, and I was *almost* a Halloween baby -- my birthday is the 28th!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Ghouls!!!! I understand about Halloween being a religion. I've dabbled in FX makeup and have worked in haunted houses. It is the time of year I look forward to the most. My favorite costume ever was when I dressed up as Harry Potter! Yes I totally passed as a 12 year old boy. I was working in an art teacher at a elementary school. The cherry on top, a kindergarten student came up to me and asked if I was the "Real Harry Potter". So cute. Love that you gals did this fun for a good cause and heck yeah wearing that wedding dress again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys put together some really fantastic costumes. That circus costume is an amazing find, and you did such a great job creating the wounds. Demented circus is always such a fun theme around Halloween. Katie and Michael make such a beautiful couple as well, even in zombie makeup. Love the photo of the kiss.
    I'm pretty nuts about Halloween. Any excuse to dress up is a good one, so I usually end up putting together a few different Halloween costumes over the course of the month. I think my favorite one that I did last year was Siouxsie Sioux. That eye makeup is really fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I'm not sure what I am going to be fore halloween this year, I have to work at a pizza place, so it has to be something I can get around in tight spaces and maybe get a little dirty.
    I did a stage make up class in college, here is the photo from the special effects week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You both look fantastic! Amelia, I love your wedding dress. I'm going as a burlesque showgirl with an angelic theme. So...many...rhinestones...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I like how you all achieved the zombie look without ruining your clothes. That's always put me off from trying that kind of costume. I'm finishing up my degree so I don't have heaps of time to work on a costume, so I'm probably going to recycle an old cosplay like LSP or a Star Trek red shirt ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your special FX makeup work looks pretty realistic to meeee! I love the theme that you choose for your outfit and future dressing room also Amanda! I also love the photo you took of Collin! He has the perfect expression on his face and then all the other zombies behind him aren't as terrifying.


    Amelia, It's also super cute how you and Michael recreated that famous photograph! I also love that you're wearing your wedding dress post-wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That vintage circus costume is AMAZING. It's so pretty! Anything that involves fire sounds so scary haha

    Monsters Ball sounds pretty awesome. I'll love to see a runway show that looks like that! I LOVE that last photo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Halloween, though for various reasons this is the first year we've had a little bit of Halloween in our house, and it'll be the first time in a while I've been out for Halloween itself, I'm looking forward to rocking a sort-of-pinup-style Alice in Wonderland look - I'm just waiting for the important bits of my costume to arrive.



    I love both of your zombie costumes, and that circus performer dress...now *that* is something special <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow- fantastic make-up an creative costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silver Cat Tea PartyOctober 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM

    love your ladies' and guys' make up! :) And I love the sailor couple costumes! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much! I absolutely loved the couple costumes!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pinup Alice sounds so amazing! I definitely want to see how that comes together!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was so much fun! I loved being a part of something that was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much! I loved being able to recreate so an amazing and iconic photo. Plus, it totally fit our mood!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally got some make up on my dress...but it was totally worth the zombie-cause!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much!!


    That sounds amazing..rhinestones make everything better!


    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look awesome! I love it! Oh man, I worked 4 Halloweens at a pizza restaurant-it's hard to find good costumes that are work appropriate!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much! I totally agree--any reason to dress up is good in my eyes!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH my gosh amazing!


    I'm sure you were the best Harry Potter ever!!


    I was so happy that I was able to wear it again. I love the dress so much, but it's so hard to wear just a white dress without looking like a bride.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahh you're so close to being a Halloween baby! Your birthday is coming up soon--any fun plans!?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much!


    It was SOOOO much fun.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm loving it so much! I'm terrified of clowns, but for some reason this clown doesn't scare me..I don't know why. haha

    ReplyDelete
  29. That sounds like the perfect way to celebrate Halloween!


    I love scary films! Nothing really scares me though, which is always a bummer.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's because he's predictable. He's quiet and outwardly scary, and he's gonna do a trick then kill you or keep you captive, period. Dandy is scarier than Twisty is...

    ReplyDelete