Seashell Dresses + Tartan Skirts

Saturday, October 18, 2014

So, we have a love/hate relationship with southern weather.  It's unpredictability can make you want to throw your iPhone at a wall when you check it in the morning or force you to burrow into the attic months early for your peacoats.  But, those 85 degree fall days let you break out your bright colors without feeling awkward and then the NEXT DAY it's 60 degrees and you can hop out of your house in tartan + stockings.  We broke out some new Vivien of Holloway pieces to show off both ends of the fall style spectrum.


Outfit Details
Seashell Stripe Kitty Dress c/o Vivien of Holloway
Blue Ida's | BAIT Footwear (Similar)
Kam Dhillon Glasses c/o Coastal.com
Va Va Voluminous Petticoat  |  Modcloth
White Belt | Bernie Dexter
Blue Rose Earrings | Modcloth



I will cling on to my Summer and Spring inspired wardrobe as long as possible.  My little legs will freeze, because I will wear day dresses until it physically hurts.  If I didn't know any better I would assume this Kitty Day Dress was authentically vintage by the look and make of it.  Everything from the longer length to the small shoulder pads have me absolutely smitten.  The seashell print reminds me of wallpaper, but I mean that 100% as a compliment.  The pattern is so fun and it lets me showcase my inner mermaid.  The one thing that could have made this dress better is if it had a matching fabric belt. 

The Kitty Day Dress comes in SO MANY fun prints and patterns.  I think I looked over all of the different patterns for an hour, because they're all so beautiful, and I not so secretly want to buy them all.  Also, tall ladies rejoice!  This style of dress is fairly long and the skirt measures 29-30 inches in length.  This means no more worrying about 'knee length' dresses hitting your thighs!  I styled my dress with a petticoat, but it looks just as lovely sans one.  



Outfit Details
Red Heels  |  Modcloth (similar)
Dolce & Gabbana Glasses c/o Coastal.com 
Hair Flower c/o Your One Stop Pinup Shop
Apple Brooch + Bangles  |  Vintage


I freaking LOVE fall because it means I get to break out alllll the tartan + plaid in my wardrobe.  I was really excited when I came across Tartan Circle Skirt because I never seem to be able to find either pattern in black, only navy.  I snatched it up immediately!  It's a nice thick material which is another perk for the chilly season but I did find that, for the most part, Vivien's styles ran a bit on the long side, which sidelined a lot of items for me including the Kitty Dress that Amelia looks amazing in, above.  So check your length ladies!  I'm  in dire need of a good seamstress.  This skirt was a little longer than my norm, and I knew, that, but I couldn't help myself.  It's also offered in navy + green, red boucle, navy plaid and red tartan... be still, my heart.

The top is the perfect staple peasant top reminiscent of a '40s cowboy movie starlet and I would love to snag a black one!  Although, I did have issues with the side zipper sticking out sort of awkwardly if it came untucked from my skirt too much.


Speaking of things we'd like to snag, we complied a Vivien of Holloway Wishlist so that we can start setting aside a little money to make a purchase soon.  I might have to go ahead and buy a Kitty Dress before they sell out and keep it until I find someone I trust to hem it a few inches for me, Vivien's styles tend to go pretty quickly and I'd hate to miss it.  I'm going to start thinking "tall" thoughts!   ; )
 
Do you keep a wishlist of things you want offline?
How are you dealing with this weird "intermediate" weather, style-wise?

30 comments:

  1. I just love that day dress that Katie is wearing (though it'd be perfect for spring!), and it looks so cute with the petticoat :) and that plaid skirt will be great for the holidays! Such pretty looks on both of you.


    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer @ grimmricksenOctober 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

    Both the dress & skirt are lovely, but man o man... that dress! I don't even care for pink and that dress has me smitten.

    I don't really pay attention to fall/summer/etc clothing correctness. I suppose I do gravitate toward darker colors in the cooler months, but in general I'll wear everything but with a sweater & a pair of tights or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mette Sofia HänninenOctober 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM

    Hiya! What sizes do you wear with VOH?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My top is a medium and my waist size for my skirt is 26.
    Katie's dress is UK10. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both look amazing! The dress and the tartan skirt are so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Southern weather sounds like Melb weather aus. Beautiful dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a pity! The VofH tartan skirt are pretty much sold out in every size and color! Do you know if they restock often, or is this is for the season? (in which case I'll just find someone on Etsy to make me one). Also, I have heard VofH runs small - did you find that to be true? It's difficult to return items from overseas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the skirt and dress, btw. Didn't say that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a teal & black tartan VoH skirt which I absolutely adore, though it was a little long on me too, I had it hemmed just enough to show the ruffle from one of Vivien's petticoats, and it's also a good length to wear without one now too. You both look amazing in your outfits, and you've made me want to go shopping...darnit, payday seems so far away :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. RockabellaqueenElsaOctober 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM

    I have a petticoat from VoH, bought with a dress but the dress went back as I ordered the wrong size and I let my mother persuade me not to get the next size down instead. I would like a Grace dress or circle dress but tend to go for Lindy Bop or actual vintage as it tends to be cheaper. I like long lengths on me even though I'm only 5"1 or so. Mum has come round a bit now with my style

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been lusting after several of the Vixen of Holloway pieces! And I have a big wish list on Pinterest. :) And Oklahoma's weather is always crazy. I never put away any of my clothes because you never know when you will need a tank top or a heavy coat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silver Cat Tea PartyOctober 19, 2014 at 7:26 PM

    I love Vivien of Holloway's dresses! Love seeing this brand featured on your blog! Amelia's Kitty Day Dress is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed, that dress is absolutely to die for! I love the versatility of day dresses and the 34582908475 different ways you can style them. And thank you, I wanted a Kitty Dress so badly but made myself choose the skirt and I'm so pleased with it, who ever sees black plaid anymore?! Not this girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree, I wanted the back version but I'm totally wary of the length, I've already started researching inexpensive seamstresses in Nashville that do quality work haha.


    And neither do I, I wear whatever I want, whenever I want, I just throw on different accessories and layers and BAM... seasonally appropriate lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much! They really are incredibly lovely pieces, there's no piece like a Vivien piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I'm glad that people across the globe have weather as weird as ours! And thank you ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've noticed that they restock pretty frequently! So I'd just keep an eye out, but you can also never have too much plaid! I bought that eShakti plaid skirt and chose this one too. I also found Vivien's stuff to be very true to size, actually Katie's dress ran a little big but my skirt was right on, I have a 26 in waist and ordered a 26. I will say though, everything is a bit long. But that works out wonderfully for everyone but me because I'm tiny lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to find someone good in Nashville to hem things I can't get away with length wise. Even though I'm not a big fan of my petticoat showing, I still don't want all that extra length at the bottom giving me petticoat lines haha. And thank you! I totally agree... payday is never close enough and never enough money ; )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I would've definitely gone ahead and exchanged the dress instead of returning it, usually people have a hard time persuading me to do anything haha. I love Lindy Bop but have found their sizing a bit large and sometimes the pieces just don't fit me right, but amazing none-the-less.

    I prefer tea length items on myself as well and I'm only 4'11". ; )

    ReplyDelete
  20. She was seriously so much fun to work with, we were so excited to share them on their blog because I literally wanted one of EVERYTHING in their shop. haha. And I agree, I might have to order one for myself ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I'm lusting after about one of every item in her shop haha. I especially want a Kitty Dress of my own. ; ) And exactly! I'm glad I'm not thy only one who's simply given up on "trading out" wardrobes by season!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the quick response! They do have the red tartan in my size, so I think I'll snatch that up and then wait for the black. It's truly lovely on you. It's long, but I think it would look so cute with little boots as well - quite Victorian. You can pull it off! Did you notice the eShakti skirts are gone too!? I think it's because you gals are so popular!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love tartan! Ordered a Vivien of Holloway skirt in Prince of Wales fabric and a navy ballet cardigan. Bring on the cold

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so smitten for the Kitty Day Dress! Such a cute dress!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can never plan for seasons it's the absolute worst! It snowed here last year in March, but it's like 80 degrees in November.it makes no sense!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sammi the color palette is sooo perfect for Spring! I need the Kitty dress in more Fall themed color ways now!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I saw the dress I was instantly in love! I need it in every color way so badly!


    I always say I dress seasonally inappropriate! My motto is to just throw a cardigan on it. ;)


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. haha It's so unpredictable!


    Thank you so much!


    xox

    ReplyDelete