Our 8 Most Influential Albums Growing Up

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

We've seen a lot of posts on other blogs + social media with people listing their favorite or most influential albums.  We thought this would be a fun way to get to know us a little bit more!  We were talking about what albums we would each include, and we realized that our two lists were going to be EXTREMELY similar so we decided to create a consolidated list of the top 8 albums that affected our lives.  Also, our music taste hasn't changed in forever so these are still the albums that we listen to the most.  We love Wanda Jackson and the Carter Kids as much as the next person, but our "default" will forever be pop punk.

1. Deja Entendu - Brand New (2003):


Amelia: Before June loved me I knew I loved her, because I had never met someone so passionately in love with Brand New like I was before.  Their first album, Your Favorite Weapon, is great, but   Deja Entendu is a masterpiece from start to finish.  There was so much progression between the two albums that the first listen of Deja caught me off guard (the progression between all of their albums is pretty amazing to listen to).  The last time I saw Brand New live, I drove 10 hours to Ohio and they  played this album in full...and I sobbed uncontrollably.  I get to see them in less than a month in Atlanta, which is something that I've been looking forward to for a while now.

2. Dude Ranch - Blink 182 (1997):


June:  From the days before people knew who Travis Barker was and they had a drummer named "Scott", this Blink album is amazing enough that during the first listen, you can tell they were bringing something all their own to the punk rock table.  Approachable enough that anyone can pick it up and listen, but impressive enough that you know you're getting something special.  It's fast-paced, crude... and completely amazing.

3. ...Is a Real Boy - Say Anything (2004):


Amelia:  There is so much to be said about ...Is a Real Boy, because it's an album filled with a lot of angst, but beyond that angst are some pretty interesting themes.  From a song about relationships during the Holocaust to a song about not having sex with a girl because of the subject of the songs.  Say Anything created a fun album that still developed a ton of emotion and some great, catchy lyrics.

4. More Adventurous - Rilo Kiley (2004):


June: We had a really hard time choosing a Rilo Kiley album because their whole discography is amazing.  From as early as Take Offs and Landings to as recent as Under the Blacklight (or even the new album Knives), lead singer + songwriter, Jenny Lewis, always produces amazing music.  Her voice is folky enough for country +  her lyrics are often cynical and "fuck you" enough for punk rock so of course... they're an indie band. 

5. Say It Like You Mean It - The Starting Line (2002):


June:  When I was in my sophomore year of high school Economics class, I remember the ability to burn CD's was becoming more and more prevalent and the girl that sat next to me asked me to burn her a copy of the CD above and Midtown's "Living Well is the Best Revenge." I popped this CD in for the first time and I hardly took it out... for about 6 months.  Kenny Vasoli, their lead singer, has the voice of an angel.  I saw their last show (well technically, they occasionally still play but they announced that as their last) at Bamboozle in 2008.... it was May and it SNOWED.  It was perfect. I cried.

6. So Wrong, It's Right - All Time Low (2007):


Amelia:  All Time Low was pretty much the soundtrack of my High School experience.  From their first EP on I was hooked....so hooked that one time I made them cookies and they signed my stomach. So even though they clearly thought I was weird I couldn't get enough of their catchy pop songs.  The long car rides home screaming All Time Low are perhaps one of the reasons why I love them so much, but at the end of the day this album is amazing.  It's one of the catchiest albums I've ever heard, and I dare you to not listen to it and nod a long.  Plus, they have a song about a stripper on the album.

7. Sticks and Stones - New Found Glory (2002):


Amelia:  I remember my brother buying this cd for my sister and me, and we thought he was absolutely the best!  This was the first album that I had heard from New Found Glory, but after I heard it I knew I was hooked.  Eventually I went back and listened to their first two albums, but for my 11 year old self "My Friends Over You" and "Head on Collision" were enough to peak my interest.  This album really influenced me to stray from the super poppy music that I was used to, and led me to listen to more and more pop-punk.

8. Take This to Your Grave - Fall Out Boy (2003):


June:  Back before Pete Wentz was a d-bag (ok wait, he was always a d-bag but he hadn't published a book yet), this album could've stood alone as a work of art... and they could've stopped making music and I could've musically died happy (sorry, not sorry).  I've heard this album called pop punk before but I'd definitely put an emphasis on the pop, it's upbeat even if the lyrics aren't.  Someone once said that the lyrics to this album are like entries out of a "broken-hearted boy's diary" and that makes me giggle because it couldn't be more true.

Bonus Picks:

June:  I think an album I go back around to time + time again is Bring Me Your Love by City and Colour.  The singer, Dallas Green (get it... City and Colour...) has seriously.... the most magical and hypnotic voice of all time.  This album is mostly acoustic (which is actually a far cry from what I usually listen to) but it's beautiful and timeless, and the lyrics are thought provoking and beautiful.

Amelia:  When I tried to think of one other album that impacted my life and that I still love I had a few ideas in mind.  I was born and bred on country music, and I've loved King George Strait since I was 5 so on instinct I thought about including one of his many amazing albums.  But I can't hide the truth from y'all, my FAVORITE band (aside from Brand New) is O-Town.  I wish I was joking, but I'm not. haha their self-titled album is one of my favorite albums, and I still listen to it constantly.  No shame for my love for boy bands.

Here is a list of a few of the songs from each album listed above, place it on shuffle and have a listen!


Who is your favorite band?  What would your top 8 be?

19 comments:

  1. This post makes me so happy!! I love that NFG album forever and all my hardcore punk friends made fun of me for liking them (and FOB) because they were so poppy but I didn't care! Those guys were great to watch live and the albums you listed are wonderful!!
    I've always got love for Blink 182! A few years ago, I was able to see them on the Honda Civic tour (at Lakewood in ATL) and it was hilarious because I realized that the last time I had seen them was at Lakewood during Warped Tour when I was in high school. It was a little bit of an "I'm old!" moment but I loved it! They were so great to watch - then and now!
    I also agree about Deja Entendu - it really was a masterpiece from start to finish. My friend and I had that on repeat for quite some time after college :)
    Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha these are all amazing. We must have been in high school around the same time because these were all the albums my friends and I were listening to at the time. I still remember by first introduction to fall out boy, all time low and brand new it was like heaven. But I'm also really thankful for brand new, blink 182, and taking back Sunday becuase that's the music I still listen to today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer @ grimmricksenSeptember 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM

    <3 Rilo Kiley and City & Colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE finding out what people listen to. I am SUPER judgement about people music choices- if I find that out first. I love getting to know a person then find out what they listen to. If you guys never mentioned pop-punk before I don't think I would of known what you listen to. Oddly you don't come off as diehard rockabilly fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a huge love affair with Fall Out Boy, especially their first two albums. I am going to get a tattoo to commemorate them. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. ummmm im so happy you admitted your love for otown. all or nothing makes my day every time it comes on at work. and don't even get me started on every six seconds. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the only one of these I've listened to is the Starting Line album. The band I usually say is my favouite is The Smiths, and their album of singles would make my top eight.
    I'd may be put it as (in no order)
    The Smiths Singles
    The Best of Tears for Fears (I feel bad putting a best of, but it was the cd of them I had)
    The Lonely H- Kick Upstairs (at least as winner as most influential, although not favorite of their albums)
    Neil Young- Harvest
    The Rushmore soundtrack (I can put a soundtrack, right?)
    Patsy Cline
    Fleet Foxes (self titled)
    I never like to pick the last spot on best of lists, I like to leave it open to rotate throught.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sticks and Stones was almost on my list, but Good Charlotte was always my fave. Also, I LOVED The Starting Line and forgot about them until just now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost died over the O-Town, mostly because Trevor Pinick from the group was a Senior at my school during my freshman year (before he was "famous"). At that time he was merely the Popular basketball player/ASB guy, who also happened to be the school mascot. He is genuinely nice, and was in several of my husbands classes. I feel compelled to pull at my high school yearbook and snap a shot of his senior pic for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sticks and Stones and Good Charlotte were always some of my favorites! Dude, The Staring Line is so fantastic. There music is too catchy.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOD. PLEASE DO! I no, joke am obsessed with O-Town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list! The Rushmore soundtrack is amazing! It definitely fits the mood of the film.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. YESS! It's a huge joke with most people I know, because I have zero shame for my love for O-Town. I listen to O-Town pretty much ever day. Every Six Seconds is so raunchy...and I never realized it until I was older.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fall Out Boy was so golden! I wasn't a huge fan of their last album, but I loved most of their others. I actually love Infinity on High, and I know a lot of people don't.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. My music taste is so diverse it's hard to express it all. I guess that's because I was raised on Elvis, old country and Souther rock. I branched out from there to my pop punk phase.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny Lewis is such an angel, and may be one of the reasons why I have red hair.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. I swear that era of music was the best. I'll never outgrow it.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was at that Blink 182 show too! I loved it, I can never outgrow Mark Hoppus. <3


    I'm going to see Brand New in 9 days and I'm tooooo excited.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete