Minnie Mouse + Luna Lovegood

Thursday, September 18, 2014


When we met, we bonded over our shared love of excessive reading, Harry Potter, video games and Doctor Who and we both consider ourselves pretty nerdy.... lets call it Geek Chic! Our everyday style generally doesn't show much of our nerd pride, but from time to time we find pieces that are retro inspired + geek chic... and that's our equivalent to finally not being told that our princess in in another castle. 1138 Clothing is a California company that specializes in custom skirts and corsets but even better, they cater towards nerd + pop culture and you can find anything from Star Trek to Pokemon.

Outfit Details:
Minnie Mouse Ears  |  AForestBoutique Etsy
Off Shoulder White Tee  |  eBay (similar)
Minnnie Polka Dot Skirt c/o 1138 Clothing
Va Va Voluminous Petticoat | Modcloth
Hansel Yellow Heels c/o BAIT Footwear
Snow White Tattoo Ben Ritchie at Icon Tattoo in Murfreesboro, TN


When I found out about the 1138 Clothing Etsy store, I was about as excited as I was when I met my Doctor for the first time.  I immediately found myself searching for Harry Potter or Doctor Who wares (Amelia, you bitch, I really want a Luna skirt of my own haha).  But, I also loved the Marvel Heros prints but eventually decided to choose something a little on the neutral side for once... or as neutral as a Minnie Mouse skirt can be!  I really loved the shape of the skirt but also found that even with selecting my measurements, it was a bit on the snug side in the waist.  Best of all, this outfit gave me an excuse to share a tattoo no one ever sees, my Snow White!  Getting my other leg done is on my post-wedding agenda, I wonder who will be on the other side! Any guesses?

Outfit Details:
Honeydukes Pin | Hogsmeade <3 
Deathly Hallows Bracelet | Similar Here
Luna Lovegood Skirt c/o 1138 Clothing
Shoes | Goodwill


Initially when Linda of 1138 Clothing contacted me, I'd picked out another fabric for my skirt-- then she sent me a sample of what she was working on!  Knowing I was a HUGE Harry Potter fan, Linda showed me this skirt, which is inspired by Luna's skirt in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  I instantly knew that I had to style this skirt in my best Luna impersonation, but since it's SO hot in Georgia, it's more like Luna Lovegood minus all of those warm layers.  It's not every day that I get to wear my Honeydukes pin or walk around with my Luna Lovegood wand, so wearing this skirt was especially fun.  The skirt was a little tight on me, so I would suggest ordering a half inch up if you decide that a nerdy novelty print skirt is in your future!  If you go to the shop and don't see this skirt don't worry- this skirt was designed by Linda and her graphic designer (Dustin Rhodes) and it is available by special request!  Also, you can purchase the fabric through Spoonflower if you want to make your own Luna inspired goodies!  

Well, now we've shared our Harry Potter, Doctor Who (ok... so we bring them up all the time) + Disney mania with you... and sprinkled a little Zelda + Mario in there. So, that begs the question:

What do you like to nerd out over?!


36 comments:

  1. You girls look amazing!!! I love 1138 Clothing! Linda recently made me a Spider-Man corset that I'm going to wear to New York Comic Con!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah a classic pokemon skirt would make my heart swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just too stinking cute. Seriously, you guys are adorable. I don't know which look I love more! They're both really fun and sweet, and do a great job of creating a character without looking like you're in costume.
    I would get super geeked out over a Buffy the Vampire Slayer print, or a Dresden Files one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both look fantastic, and these skirts are amazing!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nerd over so much hence my blog A Vintage Nerd. I nerd over classic films, Doctor Who, HP, Disney anything, vintage anything....well...a lot...haha xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! Thanks for the tip. I swooned over the Marvel dress you shared a while back (which is what led me to find your blog btw!) but was so sad that I couldn't afford it. I see this shop has the same material and is much more affordable so that's going to be on my wishlist for sure. Besides Disney, I love Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel and Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips! I'm also excited about the Luna skirt, but also the ears! I'm doing a Mickey shoot in the new year (my pinup name is Mickey!) and I've been searching for cute ears!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just going to come right out and 'fess up ~ My Little Pony. Not the hipster, 90's version, but today's (4th gen) Friendship Is Magic series. Yup. I said it. I loovveee that show!! *geekfoamatmouth* And I may or may not collect the comics/figures/etc.. ;D ♡

    xox,

    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two are too cute! I love both your skirts, but you're making me want more patterned things when what I really need is to add a couple of plainer pieces to my wardrobe so I can get full use out of everything...damn you ;)

    I nerd over a lot, but primarily Star Wars & Iron Man. Iron Man is the best <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when movie/tv references are subtle. I might have to get that Luna skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That red polka dot skirt is beyond adorable! :)


    Tamara
    www.trulytamara.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Favorited that Etsy shop right away. Those skirts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally nerd out over the same stuff as you guys. These outfits are so freaking adorable, I can't get over you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those skirts are amazing! You both look fabulous in them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg! I'm a total nerd too and love these outfits! ! I also love the fact I have a Snow White tattoo similar to yours Amanda! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! Hello kitty, superheroes?!?! Those circle skirts are so fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of you are so cute! But I especially love that she had a fabric based on Luna's skirt print. (and I'm definitely a HUGE Harry Potter and Doctor Who fan!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you darling! I was so amazing by it! I had never seen something based off of Luna's clothing so I was in love.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. My family grew up watching Doctor Who so it's definitely in my blood to be a Whovian! Ten will forever be my doctor, and I love David Tennant in most everything he does!


    We have so many randoms in common! I'm absolutely obsessed with Harry Potter, LOTR, Firefly, Buffy, Marvel comics, and so much more!


    Tim Burton is amazing. I love everything he has done, and he and HBC are such an amazing couple. I love Wes Anderson his sense of humor is my sense of humor haha


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun prints for everyone! They are such fun skirts!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. They're definitely nerd chic, which is something that we embody ;)


    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love when my nerd interests are the same as other peoples!


    Thank you!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  23. Right!? She sales some of the most amazing skirts I've ever seen!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Right!? It's adorable as a regular skirt or as a cosplay skirt!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. Same! If people didn't know it was a Luna inspired print it just looks like a fun print!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so hard to buy solid colors/plain pieces when fun prints like this exist! I can't turn down a print!


    Iron Man is pretty awesome! I'm a Captain America girl myself..good Ol' Steve Rogers.


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  27. hahhaha You're too cute! I love when people embrace their fandoms!


    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. How cute! I bet you'll be an adorable Mickey!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's great when you can express your nerd pride with a cheaper price point! Her Etsy store is great for that!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  30. I nerd over the same things! Great taste


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks SammI! The skirts are so nice!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love being able to dress inspired by a character without looking too silly. Especially because I wore this outfit all day!
    I WOULD FREAK over a Buffy the Vampire Slayer print!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  33. Right!? I would be so happy with a first generation fire pokemon inspired skirt!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  34. Linda is so amazing! I bet you looked super babely!


    xox

    ReplyDelete
  35. :D Well, why not! Fandoms unite!

    ReplyDelete