Let the Wedding Prep Begin!

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

After an unexpected allergic reaction to a beauty blender sponge I purchased, I packed my bags and left a little early for my already-planned visit to Georgia this weekend to see my parents + brothers and get a little bit of wedding planning done!


Wedding planning isn't exactly my forte, when it comes to celebrations I'm definitely more of a simplistic decor kind of girl.  I'm more worried about everyone having fun + not sweating their faces off in Georgia in September than I am about anything else.  This weekend I needed to get my hair trimmed and have practice round one of my hair style, go by the bakery for some final decisions about flavors, get some crafting started (god only knows when we'll finish) and have one of my last dress fittings before the wedding.


Instead of a cake, Collin + I decided we wanted cupcakes.  My mom, a family friend and I went to sample cupcakes at Smallcakes Cupcakery.  We walked in thinking we'd choose maybe 3 flavors and walked out thinking we'd be doing more like 5, I thought it'd be fun to have more options anyways.  We ended up deciding on pink vanilla, caramel crunch, red velvet, pumpkin and chocaholic.  The ones pictured above just happen to be the ones they sent home with us. Collin and I are still having a hard time deciding on a (cup)cake topper.


We ran to about 5 different stores buying all the colors of ribbon we needed (we kept buying everything each store had and still needed to go on to the next place for more) for a little project which is what is pictured above.  My mom said it reminded her of My Little Pony and I have to agree.  We also grabbed some fabric for an incredibly-time-consuming-I-don't-think-I'll-ever-finish-it project.  We even had a family assembly line going with my mom tracing, my dad cutting (while watching the Tennessee game and using a razor blade, manliest crafter ever) and me gluing.  My brothers aren't big crafters so they just popped in every now and again to laugh at our crafting misery.


I tried on my dress for another fitting and talked to my mom's sweet friend who is doing the alterations, about some further alterations.  Here is a little sneaky peek of the back of my dress (right).  The dress on the left is the one I wore for our celebration here in Tennessee a few weeks ago.


I think my biggest hurdle right now revolves around the paper for our invitations getting back-ordered and just arriving TODAY! So with September 27th wedding date looming, our invitations won't be going out until tomorrow and I probably won't be sleeping tonight so I can get them all stuffed.  Of course, I was initially stressed about it but, what can you do?  On the bright side, the location of our venue + the decor has sort of reminding me of Big Fish (the movie)... and I don't mind at all because I love that book, it makes my heart melt.

source
What was the biggest hurdle in your wedding planning? What was your favorite part of the planning process? Unmarried ladies, what do you want your wedding to be like?

15 comments:

  1. Girl, I can totally relate to you on wedding stress! Having done the big shebang once before in another chapter of my life, I can tell you that all of the attention to detail is mostly forgotten by almost everyone over the course of the big day, so absolutely do not sweat the small stuff. Make sure there are plenty of people making videos and photos, because it is a blur... I looked at photos later and thought, "I didn't even know they showed up!"


    Nothing could be worse than me being slightly bloated and barely able to get into my dress two days before the wedding, leading to an eleventh-hour rush tailoring job to let it out *half an inch* so I would not be in physical pain. Argh.


    After doing it big once, I have given Dan the choice of whether or not we throw a big wedding party someday. To my relief, he's leaning towards an intimate courthouse date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so nervous about this whole wedding planning business. My boyfriend and I aren't even officially engaged yet, and I'm still worried about it! My ideal wedding would involve me in a cute dress and my dude in a suit at city hall, and then a party afterwards, but he's already made it clear his family is going to need a church wedding. We'll see how it all shakes out, but the smaller, the better, IMO.
    That said, I do really like going to other people's well coordinated, crafty weddings. I'm sure yours will be absolutely beautiful, and that you'll come out of it feeling like all of the stress and effort will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fly to Georgia in one week for a wedding! Of the three weddings I have been to this year two have had cupcakes and one had donuts for the cakes. I think this coming one also has cupcakes. It seems like traditional cake is out of style right now. I think I'd have pies.
    I'm not married, but everyone keeps asking my bf and I when we are going to get married, it will probably be a few years, but it's fun to think about, probably something simple and country.
    I'm excited to see photos of your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a doll! We're doing a very rustic chic wedding. Military being another theme! (My fiancé is in the USMC!) I've made all the decorations myself. I even did one including ribbon, fabric, and twine (not even close to what you've done - LOVE by the way). That's my favorite part of all this, the decorations! I've had a hard time compromising with my fiancé about guests. It's been the single most stressful part of our October wedding. I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same wedding date and mine just got sent out last week lol so you are not alone!!! We're almost there though!!! I have to keep thinking that instead of all the things I need to do... Which reminds me I should probably go and reserve my hotel room sometime before the day... Lol good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I'll ever get married, right now it's just not my thing but I love seeing what others do for their weddings. My dream wedding would be a big carnival with food stands and a ferris wheel! More realistically I think it would be fun to have food trucks and pie instead of cake. We do have a ferris wheel on top of a building in St. Louis that's pretty great, so maybe I can have my wedding there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little bit off topic: but I love your wardrobe!

    xoxo Perlchen Noir

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think our biggest hurdle was budget vs. wants. It was super easy to get carried away especially with our venue so coming down to reality was hard. My favorite part was that both my hubs and I were planning together. That way our wedding was a reflection of the both of us and had equal amounts of our ideas in it. We just celebrated our wedding anniversary last week and were just reminiscing about it all so your post was timely. (also this is my first time chiming in even though I think you guys are awesome and I admire your styles tremendously!) :D Happy almost-wedding day to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your suitcase/packing prep picture is so cute! I actually stared at it for a couple of minutes before scrolling down so I could see everything! Hehe. OH! That reminds me- I totally want to try corsetting now because of you! I've always been an on-the-fencer about it but didn't know if I wanted to take the leap because I didn't know anyone (online or otherwise) that had had good experiences with it- or any at all for that matter! Phew, okay I am rambling because it is midnight now hehehe. ANYWAYS, the back of your dress preview looks so beautiful and I am dyyyyying in anticipation of your big day! I know it's going to be so lovely and special and I can't wait to see what hairstyle you decide on! SO fun that you've been blogging your wedding journey thus far! I would totally watch a reality show about this. <3 :) Hope your allergic reaction is all better now! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god the flooding memories of wedding planning! XD I ditched a lot of ideas for my sanity. I think my favorite things were the trial runs. Maybe because it gave such a piece of mind? Alexa (my co-blogger and Maid of Honor) and I did a trial run for centerpieces for flowers. There was a nice wave of relief that it would end up being fast and cheap. I didn't take in consideration that most of my friends and family wouldn't be great on the coordination part. XD But the test run made lots of room for error which was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had cupcakes at our wedding, too. People seemed to have liked them a lot too, we also had a candy buffet and I think that might have been my favorite part. As stressful as it was, I really loved wedding planning, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pumpkin cupcakes?! Sign me up. I'm so sorry about your allergic reaction! I didn't even think that that could happen w/sponges (which is dumb, I guess). And ooh if your decor looks like Big Fish, that would be so dreamy!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Transporting food! I had a Vintage-esqu Halloween wedding and we brought food in from a few different vendors all over the state. The logistics of that was quite tricky. Making sure hundreds of mini cream puffs didn't topple or pumpkin pies slide around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, looks like it will be fantastic! Oddly enough getting the invites out was the most stressful part (we got them out about 3 weeks ahead of time.) But, when you have the mindset that you're not going to let things bother you, they don't and everyone is better for it. One thing I highly recommend is creating a sort of "stage manager's" book with everyone- bridal party, family and vendor's- contact info, a list of who needs to do what, where/when things get delivered if anything gets delivered the day of, who cleans up what afterwards and where do those things get stored etc. Add copies of the music and your vows if needed then.... hand that off to someone you trust a day or two before the wedding. They become your point person on that day, so everyone is not coming up to you with a question, but them.They'll have the answers in the book (and there will probably be less questions because you thought things out), and you and everyone else is less stressed. I'd suggest your mom or an organized friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! And write out a list of what photos you want the photographer to take before hand and give it to them! Wether they are posed shots or not. I was afraid of offending my photographers because they were the professionals, but they can't know what you want. I really regret not having but one or two photos of just me and my man, and not having one of him with me, my sister and parents. They did get some good shots of the cake and decor, though which I had off handedly mentioned wanting, so they were receptive! The photographers want and expect that.

    ReplyDelete