Pinup on a Budget: cotton candy + peggy sue

Friday, August 22, 2014

Do you ever lurk around on Amazon looking for pieces you'd love to try, but can't bring yourself to spend a ton of money on? (because you're afraid you'll later to discover you hate it.)  We've had a few people ask us about good brands to "start" with if you're looking to try reproduction pieces for the first time or are looking for something inexpensive for cosplay or a single night out.  There are options like Hell Bunny or Lindy Bop (Lindy Bop is allll over Amazon) but every now and again, we'll run across something from Hey Viv and wonder about the quality. 

Outfit Details
Top  |  Modcloth
Belt  |  Bernie Dexter
Peggy Sue Skirt c/o Hey Viv!
Taupe Ida Kitten Heels  |  Bait Footwear


As much as I love more expensive brands it's a great feeling getting clothes for less than $50.  I love the fun mint color of this Peggy Sue Skirt, and strangely enough, I haven't seen a lot of mint circle skirts.  I also really loved the fullness and comofortability.  I did, however, choose to cover the waistband of this skirt with a belt.  It features an elastic waistband which is nice as far as sizing versatility.  But, the elastic waistband made my shirt look a little weird tucked in and was a little bunched and unflattering.

Outfit Details
Brooch  |  Luxulite
Hindi Black Heels  |  Bait Footwear


I will admit, I was initially a bit put off by the feel of the fabric of this Fit & Flare Dress in Cotton Candy Pink, it seemed to be more suited for costuming than daily wear.  But, I really loved the length and fit of the dress... also... it's cotton candy pink and while I'm not usually a huge fan of the color, I loved it in this case.  I spent the day wandering around running errands in post-vacation malaise and was happy to find it comfortable and an easy piece to throw on, the style made it equally as easy to dress down as it was to dress up and I always love pieces like that.

What are your favorite inexpensive wardrobe pieces?
 

23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I love the fir and flare dress, and that colour really suits you Amanda. I'm going to have to see if Hey Viv! is on Amazon UK...

    My favourite inexpensive wardrobe pieces at the moment are my 'Jeanette' dress (reviewed here: http://tinyurl.com/JeanetteReview), and my two Hell Bunny swing skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look adorable, as usual ;). I love the mint color of that skirt!


    Tamara
    www.trulytamara.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, that IS a pretty pink to lift up spirits when in "post-vacation malaise" (totally experiencing the same thing... especially a post-Disneyworld/Universal Studios/WWOHP crash)! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mint and pink look so pretty on you guys, and I'm glad you were honest about your qualms about the "costume-y" feel of this brand. I have the same problem with the black circle skirt I have of theirs (but the fabric is really cheap-looking). But they actually photograph really well!


    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather like the cotton candy pink of that dress, its almost so ridiculous that its wonderful. Im glad you were honest, I feel like this just sounds like one of those instances where you get what you pay for but for being on a budget its good to know there are doable options out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink dress! I can see how it's a great mood lifter. I'm a sewist, so my favourite inexpensive pieces are ones that I've sewn, such as the Sorbetto top and Washi dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors and shapes look great on you guys, although it's too bad that the quality is kind of lacking. Sometimes cheaper brands can be a steal, but more often it seems like you get what you pay for.
    I'm definitely a bargain shopper, so most of the stuff in my closet was pretty inexpensive. Vintage appropriate pieces from forever21 and Zara are probably the cheapest things in my wardrobe, but I've got some cute 80s does 50s dresses that were very inexpensive as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You girls are so inspiring! Love your blog! Both outfits are adorable <3

    Hugs,

    E.

    http://www.thehearabouts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true - there is a real shortage of mint green skirts out there, especially for us vintage loving lasses. Ditto for lilac, mustard, and eggplant, amongst others.

    You both look wonderful! I'm always in favour of lovely bargains on the sartorial front and really appreciate that you bring us so many options on that front.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love love love the mint skirt you're wearing Katie! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mint skirt and your top! It's my favorite color in the world, and you're rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I may not have loved the fabric but I really, really loved the fit. Also, I never wear pink but Amelia has convinced me that I should be wearing it more often, so maybe I will. haha.


    Oh my god, you just sold me on that dress, now I think I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! And I loved the mint color too, if the dress came in mint I would've died. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly! And ugh it's the absolute worst. And now I'm going to be experiencing it again after the 4 day weekend I just had haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! My thoughts exactly! And thank you, we always want to air our thoughts out with our readers because I think the worst thing would be to lose our credibility for recommendations. Everyone will find different things they love and don't love about pieces so we might as well express ours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just googled both of those and loved them both! They both look like such great comfy pieces. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well thank you! And I totally agree, I've never had a dress fall apart on me, but some of them definitely don't wash and wear very well.


    Every once and a while I find an 80s does 50s dress that I really love and I always get so excited because they're SO much cheaper! A lot of my cardigans are from Forever and I love them, so much cheaper than vintage AND a lot of vintage cardigans are wool... which I'm allergic to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! Yes, I totally agree with lilac and mustard especially! I just need a company out there to make an amazing circle skirt and then make it available in every color imaginable. haha


    And thank you so much! We always love sharing our brand-finds with people. <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. You saying that really made me think about what we were going to say! But I totally agree, they photograph amazingly and once they're on they're super cute, the feel of the fabric is just a bit of a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, everybody has been telling me once read my review they want a Jeanette of their very own...I should be on some sort of commission ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha it's because you wear it so well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the mint skirt too! Such a fun color!

    ReplyDelete