"Drugstore Dita": A Thrify Girl's Guide to Dita's Makeup Look

Saturday, August 30, 2014

We've stumbled upon a few different "Dita Drugstore" looks, and we thought it would be fun to try our hand at one of our own and use our favorite drugstore products to create the classic pinup look.  We decided Amelia would be the better guinea pig for the photos because she's a little more gifted at makeup, but we're co-writing the post and assembled the instructions and products together!

Initially, there was only a photo set, but we thought it would be helpful to do a video too...which is why there's an outfit and hair color change! These are the drugstore products we recommend:

Drugstore Dita
    1. Revlon Colorstay for Combo/Oily Skin - $12.99
    2. Maybelline Fit Me! Powder - $7.99
    3. NYX Blush in Dusty Rose - $5.99
    4. NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder - $5.99
    5. Wet N Wild Eyeliner in White - $1.49
    6. Loreal Paris Lineur Intense Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner in Black - $8.99
    7. Rimmel London Last Finish by Kate Moss in Color 1 - $4.74
    8. Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Waterproof Mascara in Very Black - $6.99

I applied the powder + foundation before the first photo but other than that, each photo depicts my application of whatever I'm holding in the adjoining photo.  And of course we know it's a bit harder to get that "Dita" feel without her signature black hair and perfect pincurls, but we're going to give it a shot!


(1) Apply your foundation and powder as per your norm.  Dita is a pressed powder lover, so if you're blessed amazing skin you can skip the foundation.


(2) Brush a little bit of blush onto each cheek.


(3) Brush your brows to tame any crazy hairs with the brush that looks like a mascara applicator.  Then, take your angled brush and start from the inside of your brow, use short subtle stroke.  This is just to give a little "umph" to your normal brows, these are not the full "pinup" brow, but Micheline Pitt has amazing instructions for that here.


***At this point, I (June) would use a brown duo and apply the lighter color across my entire lid and apply the darker color to the crease.  Amelia doesn't wear eyeshadow in her version of the look, but I do, this is another one of those personal preference things.

(4) Take your white eyeliner and apply it EXACTLY where you normally apply your black/dark eyeliner across your eyelid, right at the lash line.  Applying white eyeliner before the black will help you black eyeliner "pop".


(5) Cateyes are definitely the bane of every pinup's existence, so we'll try to break it down a little bit, but we both admittedly have those days where we are furiously scrubbing them off 4794576 times and reapplying.
  • What you want to do is use the fine point of the liquid liner to start at the inner corner of your eye and trace along your lash line.  This can be done in short strokes or one long stroke.
  • Draw a line starting at your last lash and use the end of your eyebrow as your "guide" for an end point, the angle is a personal preference.
  • Draw a line back to your upper lash line, which will create an empty triangle, depending on how dramatic you want your cateyes, this line can end at the center of your eyelid for a more dramatic look (because it will thicken the eyeliner on the end half of your eyelid) or at the corner of your eye for a less dramatic look.
  • Color in your triangle!
Here is a bonus guide on this part of the process:

source

(6) A bit out of order on this one, but apply a nice, thick coat of mascara to your top + bottom lashes.

(7) Finishing touches: Apply your lipstick!


(8) Enjoy!  This is the final look with and without glasses, again, we know it's sort of hard to imagine without the black hair.  But we had a lot of fun assembling this for you guys.

You can watch me try and do my makeup using the computer screen instead of a mirror here (which is SO much harder than it looks!

What are your favorite drugstore makeup products?

11 comments:

  1. I always have such a hard time achieving the cat eye look. Hopefully these tips will help. I'm going to give it a try today :). Thanks for the tips!


    Tamara
    www.trulytamara.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post ladies for all the ladies who are on a budget when it comes to make up :) Good tips! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post!!! Dita's usual "face" is relatively similar to my own and most of my make-up is drugstore, so this is definitely a look and post I can relate to. My favourite "cheapie" makeup item is unequivocally Great Lash Mascara from Maybelline. I've tried scores over the years, including some high end department/designer brands, and none work as well for my eyelashes as this popular, budget friendly classic.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makeup (and hair) is my downfall. I never learned to use it or was interested in it in high school, then in college there were other things I wanted to spend my money on instead of it and so now I still don't wear it. I'd like to learn how, but I feel like it would be such a style change I'd have to deal with everyone mentioning it. Most of my friends don't wear makeup either, we mostly all met working at a summer camp and spend a lot of our time in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope they help! I struggle with cateyes all the time and I do them every day haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Exactly! I really really love that foundation though, perfect for hot weather because it doesn't clog your pores, but it stays on well.


    I didn't think to use mine to line under my black eyeliner for a long time, but I had one to put in my waterline to make my eyes pop for certain looks, I absolutely love my white eyeliner, such a good investment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well thank you so much! It's hard to explain to someone how to do makeup, but we gave it our best shot. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! I absolutely LOVE Great Lash mascara! I've used it forever because my mom used it (and still uses it) so it's just what I've always bought. I keep "They're Real" by Benefit in my makeup bag as well, but I ALWAYS have a tube of Great Lash I agree, can't argue with those sorts of results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh mine too, definitely not my forte, especially living in such a humid area. I feel like I don't wear as much as a lot of people I know, nor do I have as much knowledge about but I am definitely one of those people that doesn't leave the house without mascara or lipstick on, I can't help myself.


    I can't blame you for not wanting to make the change, especially about not wanting to deal with everyone bringing it up. Id be the exact same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're so cute with or without make up!!!


    love, polly
    pollybland.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks babe! I love high end make-up but it's important to know that cheaper options exist!


    xox

    ReplyDelete