Big Scarf, Little Scarf (Our Favorite Uses for Scarves)

Thursday, August 14, 2014

When we’re vintage shopping, we come across a lot of vintage scarves + hankies and sometimes we can't help but buy a few.  However, we both tend to let them fall by the wayside, especially the hankies because they're so little, and now we both have quite a growing collection.  But, what are we supposed to do with all these?


Recently, Nikki from My Shop and My Chickens gifted us each a few various sized hand-printed vintage scarves + hankies and we thought we’d show some of our favorite old ways to utilize these pieces and also... give them fun nicknames because... why not?!

The *Ain't Nobody Got Time For That* Pinup Pincurl Cover 

via

 This is where I admit that I actually go out into public like this all the time.  Sometimes, you've just gotta throw your dignity out the door and let your pincurls set.

The Wanda also called The "Beat it Creep"

via
 photo IMG_8764_zpsa68ac11f.jpg

We both agree that we are definitely more similar to Allison Vernon-Williams, but what girl doesn't want to channel their inner Wanda? Definitely the epitome of a vintage vixen.

The Thelma and Louise

via

I look really irritable in this photo. I thought I would try not smiling for once... now y'all know why I smile all the time - because I apparently have resting bitch face.  But look how stoked Thelma and Louise look!

 The Blair Waldorf

via

 photo IMG_8771_zps857fd8ed.jpg

We couldn't decide if this look reminded us more of Blair's bow headbands or of Tupac's bandana.  Honestly, it's a little bit of both. (I seriously just cried reading this, I didn't know she was actually going to write it xoxo June)

The"Bless Her Heart"

 photo IMG_8768_zpsa5c96632.jpg

I usually add them as detail to a plain purse, but I was in a "busy purse" kinda mood

 This could also be called the Scarlett O'Hara or the grandpa's pocket, but the older generation of southerners still totally carry hankies around. Does anyone else's grandparents keep them in their pocketbooks and pockets?!

What's your favorite use for scarves?

30 comments:

  1. I love scarves for fall and I have a bit of a collection. The problem is I never wear them! It's probably because I have such a wash and go idea about my hair.

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I can never figure out how to wear scarves and make them look good on me, but I always admire them on other people.


    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents on my dad's side both always had a hankie with them. My grandma kept her in her purse and my grandpa always had his in the pocket of his pants. To this day, my dad keeps a good ole bandanna with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these looks are adorable. I must admit I do the "ain't nobody got time for that" pincurl cover quite regularly ... except it's mostly for when I need to wash my hair and my curls are going crazy. Eeep! Still, it's a good way to look put together, even when you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out here on the west coast it is also the old hippies that carry hankies, but they mostly use bandanas. Also I've seen a lot of anarchist punks using bandana hankies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, I have a little box full of scarves that I have picked up on various thrift hunts and never seem to use but feeling inspired now to get wearing. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaah! I collect scarves and hankies but some are too fragile to use! These looks are so cute it makes me want to get out all my scarves! I am a BIG fan of the Wanda because... well, it's in my name! And yes, my grandma always used to carry her hanky tucked in the sleeve of her cardigan. My favorite quote from her is "put a hanky in it!" when she saw how low cut my prom gown was. She actually tried to stuff a hanky down my decolletage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute styling ideas, ladies!!! Using scarves as belts is one of my most frequent go-to uses for this timeless accessory. I also like wrapping small ones around my wrists like bracelets (this works well for hankies, too), tying various sized ones to my handbag handles, using them like lightweight shawls, and as the base for rolled updos at the back one's head.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice post. I have an entire box full of scarves in my closet, and since I've been challenging myself to accessorize a bit more lately, I've been pulling them out a bit more often. I love all the inspiration.
    I've really gotten into the "beat it, creeps" (or, alternately, the Ooh la la I'm pretending I'm French) scarf tied around the neck. It works really well with rather revealing tops; it might not cover up much, but it sort of feels like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your girls are so special! I loved this post, definitely going to pull out the scarves I keep in my closet and try my hand at one of these styles.

    Stay wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love the Blair! My Grandma still carries a hankie in her purse and I've collected some pretty ones from over the years. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad always carried a hanky. Always. No exceptions. After he passed away, I took one and now have it on me at all times (washed of course)

    ReplyDelete
  13. With short hair (like really short), I tend to have trouble getting the "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That"--great name! haha--to sit properly. Do you have any tutorials you could point me in the direction of or just any regular tips for getting it to sit right? I can do the Rosie Bandana no problem, but scarves are tricker haha. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's EXACTLY what I do, collect and never wear them! I'll probably start trying to work them in a bit more this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought that too until I started seeing them pop up on PUG's website with some of their styling and though "well I could at least TRY it" and I ended up liking them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandpa always had one with him too. I mean when you really think about it it's sort of unsanitary but incredibly charming lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY TOO! Especially on roadtrips! I'm like... look ridiculous or have fallen curls.... LOOK RIDICULOUS. lol I do it to cover pin curl clips. But I agree, it's quite a nice way to cover gross hair so people can't SEE that it's actually gross.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting! I do always keep a bandana in my purse but that's moreso in case I need to throw my hair into an updo haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww thank you! Well hopefully you'll find some good use for them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do that ALL the time, except sometimes i stick things to my purses and they fall off... and then I'm chasing them around like a crazy person haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the Wanda too, it's just a fun way to wear a scarf! My grandpa always had one in his pocket! So nostalgic! And oh my god that's absolutely hilarious... priceless story!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I actually might try the wrist and rolled updo ideas! I am terrible about remembering to wear bracelets so that would be fun. I'm awful at updo's... I should probably look some up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww thank you so much! Hopefully you pulled your scarves out and found some good uses for them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well thank you! I know what you mean about needing to challenge yourself to accessorize, I have to do that every time I get ready because I'm not much of an accessorizer.

    Hahaha OH MY GOD I think the "I feel french" thoughts too when I wear mine like that, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never really worn one like that until the post and I really like it and will be wearing mine like that more often! Hint: people will be seeing scarves at my wedding. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  26. My grandpa did too and I kept a few of them. So funny! It must be a southern thing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I end up with scarves too big to do that sometime and I end up with all this weird excess scarf fabric, so I know exactly what you mean. haha. We'll try to work in a tutorial but we feel like we are absolutely terrible at them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always have a hankie handy :)

    ReplyDelete