Pinup on a Budget: Lindy Bop (w/ Jess W. Photogaphy)

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Ask and you shall receive! We've had a few ladies comment on our Friday Favorites posts featuring Lindy Bop items inquiring about the quality, and we thought it was time that we answer those questions and showcase a few of our favorite LB items.

To help us in this endeavor, we've brought in a couple of our favorite fellow redheads, Jess W + Pinup Cortney Maylee!  Both ladies are internationally published pinup models, and Jess is also an internationally published photographer.  She owns Cincinnati-based, Jess W Photography, where she stocks a wardrobe full of items from small to XXL, a portion of which, happen to be from Lindy Bop!  There's a lot of lady love going on here and they're a couple of the ladies we've "met" through Instagram that we can only imagine are equally as amazing in person.  It's only a matter of time before Amelia and I road trip to hang out with these ladies and shoot in Jess' studio... maybe someone can finally explain to us how to do hair (probably not, we're hair impaired).


I first ran across Lindy Bop while looking for more moderately priced vintage-inspired dresses.  Like most people, I fell absolutely in love with the Ophelia dresses.  However, I can honestly say that the turquoise floral took me aback with how lovely it was in person!  I also love that the sizing/make was extremely flattering to my shape.  As much as I love my Ophelia dress I feel like I love it because of the way it looks, and not because of the quality.  That being said, I definitely intend to purchase more Lindy Bop pieces, because for the price, they are amazing.  


This is the Audrey Dress in gingham!  I first premiered this dress a couple of weeks ago in a Friday Favorites post and subsequently ended up purchasing it because... I couldn't help myself.  The Ophelia dress was my first Lindy Bop dress, as a lot of people's is/was. I absolutely LOVE it, but I realized quickly that when a Medium is loose in the bust... and I'm busty... something is sort of wonky.  I oddly had people tell me the Audrey dress ran small but I bought size Small anyways and I'll tell y'all in my opinion these dresses run an entire size large, s-i-z-e down! But I agree with what Cortney says below, this dress (and all their dresses) are a busty girls dream.

Bella Garden Party Dress by Lindy Bop  |  Photographer- Jess W Photography  |  Model- Jess W  |  MUAH Jess W
Jess W: I absolutely love Lindy bop dresses, the quality is spectacular. I feel like they have a dress for EVERY occasion. I have a closet full and still can't get enough. The cuts are always so flattering on every body shape. I am proud to carry several styles in our wardrobe at Jess W Photography  Pinup Studio. Another wonderful thing is they are so affordable. Great for all of us Thrifty gals!

Audrey Spring Garden Floral dress by Lindy Bop  |  Photographer- Jess W Photography
Model Pinup Cortney Maylee  |  MUAH Pinup Cortney Maylee
Pinup Cortney Maylee: The Audrey is a busty gals dream come true. Finally, a dress that not only fits comfortably, but still flattering and modest. I was hesitant about the Audrey at first, out of fear that I would be too confined and uncomfortable with the  high cut neckline, but I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of room for my chest  and still fitted in the waistline. 

Ophelia Red dress by Lindy Bop  |  Photographer- Jess W Photography  |  Model Jess W, MUAH Jess W
Ophelia Turquoise floral spring garden by Lindy Bop, Model Pinup Cortney Maylee, MUAH Pinup Cortney Maylee

We shared our Lindy Bop photos with y'all!  Do you own any Lindy Bop?
(if so, lets see them!) 
 

38 comments:

  1. So adorable. Now that I have two Lindy Bop dresses, I have to say that their sizing is definitely dependent upon the style of the dress. I followed Amanda's advice on the Ophelia and ordered my normal size; it fits well in some places, but it's actually a little loose in the waist for me! I ordered my normal size in another style, and it fits very well (and just snug enough). I think sometimes the best indicator of sizing is to ask a friend!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both look amazing in those dresses! I'm so in love with the gingham Audrey!


    I bought my first two Lindy Bop dresses this month- the red gingham and brown polka dot Audreys, and they're both so beautiful. I can't believe how great the quality is for such inexpensive clothes! (FYI, I needed to size up twice with them!) I shall be going back for more designs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys all look lovely in your new dresses. I love that turquoise Ophelia dress, and the brown floral version of the Audrey is one that I've been considering for a while.
    I'm curious, though, can you go into a little more detail about the issues with quality that you have? Is it construction, quality of the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've convinced me I need to up my lindy bop collection- I only have one a red binned tea dress and everyone says it's there favourite dress I wear. Can't say better than that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silver Cat Tea PartyJuly 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM

    Love to hear how nice the Lindy Bop dresses are! I've also seen these dresses and wondered at the quality and fit especially since they are priced so modestly! Thanks for the info and for the post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. agreed! i love their reviews but sometimes wonder about the straps as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for that review! The reviews I read are so all over the place and I'm glad you two brought in others who know their stuff on Lindy Bop. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE lindy bop. I agree with the sizing: They do run a complete size large. I've had to had major alterations done to my Audrey and Ophelia's, and I even sized down for my Ophelia. The Amie dress wasn't as bad though. Maybe it's just their swing and jive dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love these dresses, I always discover something new when I read your blog. These are both beautiful dresses on you sweet ladies, ya'll always look top notch!
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to hear about how these fit, I've been wondering! In Australia though, I don't think we're getting the same 'budget' prices for them. All the LB dresses I've seen here are on par with other pinup brands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys all look great! I love the bodice of the one and the gingham print is adorable on the other dress.


    Both a bridesmaid and my mother ended up wearing different versions of the Audrey dress in red and in my friend in blue (I actually hadn't expected that my mom would being wearing that dress. She had another red dress, a Betty Paige one with netting on the sleeves, but my grandmother felt that red was too "inappropriate" for a wedding so she switched to the slightly darker Lindy Bop red one). Both ladies looked great; they seemed like good quality to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You all look fabulous in your dresses!
    I have 3 Lindy Bop dresses and I have found the sizing perfect, I am alittle busty and often have a problem across the bust but not with these dresses. I also think the quality is fantastic. I have just bought the Ophelia and am in love with it! I would recommend this brand to anyone. Even my 13 year old daughter loves and wears them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the Ophelia, mine was too big all around, so I ordered a size down in the Audrey but I totally agree, I think it's helpful to try to find a friend who already shops with the brand too, you just never know, especially with the UK to US sizing conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We usually leave the strap photos up the the stock photos. I have some chemical burns on my neck from an experience that taught me I'm allergic to every-day hair color (haha yeah, nightmare) so I usually wear my hair down : /

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well thank you! And I loved it so much I ended up giving up and buying it after blogging about it because I couldn't help myself!


    And I find them to be amazing quality for the price as well! You had to size up? It's so weird how everyone I talk to has had a difference experience with their sizing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well thank you! I love the turquoise Ophelia as well! I have a red floral one and I absolutely love it.


    Well as far as quality, the dresses aren't lined, the sizing is a bit off and the fabric on the Ophelia's is a bit peculiar... I've actually never seen any fabric like it before... it's very thick almost canvas-esque. I'd put them above Hell Bunny though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exactly, that's the best thing someone can say about something! I think their dresses are definitely collection-worthy, so many fun styles + prints!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We're glad you found it helpful! You'll have to let us know if you snag yourself one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well thank you! I've read reviews that are ALLLLL over the place ESPECIALLY the ones on Amazon, so I knew as soon as we felt like we'd really gotten a dose of the brand, we needed to share our opinions and see what our readers thought.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've sized down to a small on every Lindy Bop dress and even a small is a bit too big. It's so weird! I'll have to keep that in mind with the Amie... the sizing issue is actually what's kept me from ordering a wiggle, but I might try one out anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I'm glad we help you find new things and thank you so much! Always love sharing new brands with people : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. REALLY!? They're all substantially under $100 here... which is incredibly competitively priced for a swing style dress (with pockets, might I add!) Have you tried looking on eBay or Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the bodice of the Ophelia as well! Such a fun way to add a little sexy to a fit + flare dress!


    And I know exactly which Bettie Page dress you're talking about (I think it's called the Alika dress) but that's so funny, I'm just letting everyone sort of wear whatever they want! I'm glad you agree though, super good quality for the cost!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well thank you! And I'm busty as well and I can say these dresses are DEFINITELY made for busty ladies, but I find even when I size down (which I have to for my waist) my bust is MORE than accommodated.


    I think they're fun for anyone as well, there are so many different prints + styles.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think its nice when Bridesmaids get to wear a dress of their choice. That's what we did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to get the Ophelia but there can't really only a 5"-6" difference between the waist and bust if it fits June. I'm a 42-31-44 I have no idea what size to order!!! Do you go by your waist or?

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's totally reasonable! Thanks so much for responding!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bookmarking for sure!! I love the turquoise floral and the gingham so much. Such cute flattering dresses

    ReplyDelete
  29. If you order directly from lindybop you will get your dresses for well under $100 including shipping Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  30. is the petticoat required? or the dress looks perfectly even without it?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Seeing your post I get so anxious waiting on my Lindybop package to arrive! I bought what I hope is my size and I guess I will tailor it if I have to. How long did it take for your packages to arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Do you know whether or not Lindybop's factories are run ethically? I have a list of about thirty dresses from the store I would LOVE to start stocking up on, but when dresses are this cheap, I can't help but wonder why. I can't find anything online that definitively outlines their manufacturing policies. Any ideas or information would be super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I ordered direct from Lindy bop page to QLD, my order arrived within 8 days and total cost of Ophelia plus postage (I had an 8% discount coupon) was under $75. Postage is only about $8 :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm in NZ and I buy them directly from the Lindy Bop website. P&P is only $10 NZD, and the dresses work out at around $60 NZD each. Much cheaper - there are retailers here in NZ who ask $120 per dress, it's half the price to just buy direct.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I realize this is a really old comment at this point, but thought I would chime in that I tried this colorway of Ophelia in a size Medium at 40-27-37, and while the waist was too big and the bust snug, I still thought it was flattering enough to be very wantable. The one I tried was a friend's, so I can't post a picture or anything, but I would recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am SHOCKED at how well the Audrey fits you! It looked SO not bust-friendly on the website, and I generally assume this kind of cut and neckline won't work for me. Goodness. You're wearing a small here? Did you have the waist taken in? *shakes head* So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  37. P.S. I mentioned this in another comment, but the Ophelia I tried was a medium and I didn't think my bust could go smaller... But you are wearing smalls, right? Maybe I should try one. Argh. I've been eyeing the cream and brown Penny, the blue polka dot Geneva, and the green Polly and Megan, but maybe I'll tentatively add the Claudette, Lana, and Cindy, which I had ruled out because of the top/neckline styles. Hmmm. Have you tried any of their stretchy-topped stuff, like the Yvette? I was thinking I could almost certainly size down in that.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow these dresses are so beautiful! :)
    Just discovered Lindy Bop and I am definitely going to try.
    Which size have you ordered your turquoise Ophelia?

    ReplyDelete