Pigtails & Pirates: Dresses of Flamingos + Superheros

Monday, July 7, 2014

We were browsing around Instagram one day and saw a photo of a beautiful dress on Miss Konduct Klothing's page and upon a little bit of research, we stumbled across Pigtails & Pirates.  Laura is a self-taught seamstress and pattern maker who began her business in 2011 making bold + unique children's clothing.  More recently, Laura introduced ladies wear into her line.  Pigtails and Pirates ladies clothing has a hint of retro to it, drawing inspiration from the 1950’s silhouette and feminine feel.

We were really excited to receive these dresses before our trip together, even if it was 101 degrees outside when we went out in them and beautiful curls quickly turned into straight hair.  It was also Pride weekend in Augusta and people loved the unique prints, it's always fun to have a talking point with strangers!


When Laura told us we could choose the fabrics/prints we wanted, we were so excited because it was such a tough decision and she offers SO many lovely choices.  In the end, Amelia chose the MARVELous dress (how could I not choose this print?  I mean, comic books and retro fashion combining is my dream come true) and June went with the Flamingo Flare Dress (although Gotham City and Summer Delight were close runner-ups).  She also helped us figure out our sizes, the dresses run 6-18 AU sizing.  We felt spoiled by all these generous, customizable options.

We were completely floored by the quality of the dresses when we received them.  The sweetheart necklines are lovely, the full skirts were just the right size and the bust area is lined, which is great.  Also, something we've never seen before, instead of hiding the zipper, it's exposed in the back, down the spine.  June's was bubblegum pink and we love the idea of adding a little something extra to the back of the dress and prominently displaying the zipper.


Although we both happened to choose swing style dresses with sweetheart necklines, Pigtails & Pirates offers other styles of skirts and dresses as well.  If you find yourself looking for something different than what is listed on their (newly updated!) online store you can order a dress customized just for you.  Lately we've found ourselves falling in love with shops that offer bespoke options, as we both have measurements that make off the rack items never fit QUITE like we want them to.  

Battle over Gotham City  |  Summer Delight  |  Tilda  |  Wing Song  |  I am WONDERful  |  Smitten Kitten
On a more personal note, right before snapping the photo below is when the random guy (who was semi-quickly approaching) starting yelling "where are your purses?" which is why we are both looking off to the side sort of thinking "oh sh*t.. who is this dude?"


Which fabric from Pigtails & Pirates is your favorite? 
What do you ladies think about the exposed zipper?

41 comments:

  1. Both of these dresses are amazing, but I can't get over that Marvel print! Too cool! I really love the Wonder Woman skirt that Pigtails & Pirates do too ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silver Cat Tea PartyJuly 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM

    Beautiful dresses! I love how the colors in the Marvelous dress really makes the color of Amelia's hair pop! And I love June's flamingos! Love flamingos! I actually have a tutorial for a flamingo sweater clip on my blog... you should check it out :) http://silvercatteaparty.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-chicago-ft-lauderdale-and-nola.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These silhouettes are sooo flattering, and what fun prints! Must go check them out. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow love that marvel one gonna have to look into buying that :D do you guys read comics? I'm a bit of a newcomer to here i'd love to hear about it if you do!

    http://keyboardkitten.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the Marvel one as well! @ameliajetson is an AVID comic reader and her husband collects. My little brother is a fanatic and him and I bond over comics a lot. I've dabbled around reading them in the past, but I think I'll start again because him, Amelia and I in a room together discussing Marvel and DC characters... priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the comic skirts! I totally want a Marvel dress now too, especially after seeing Amelia's, it's even better in person! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, sweet lady! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely should! I loved them so much! Is it totally lame that what made me most excited taking it out of the box was that bubblegum pink back zipper? haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, love the primary colors of that dress and now I want one myself! But I agree, I'm all about flamingo everything! We'll definitely have to take a look at that! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You girls look amazing, dresses are stunning!

    xxx

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving these dresses. That Marvel print is amazing! I love her whole range of comic themed pieces (Wonder Woman!), it's great to see nerd and pinup girl overlap in one brand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God, no. Exposed back zippers are the best, and the fact that it's pink just makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww cuute! I've been collecting for maybe.. 3 years now? My friend bought me a bunch of new 52 singles and I don't know what I'd do without em now haha I find it bit more difficult now I switched to trades and novels but I'm always on the lookout for new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mackenzie MurrayJuly 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM

    I actually looked them up when you posted that you had these in your suitcases. I love her different and fun prints!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesomely fun prints!! And I LOVE exposed zippers!! Cuteness!
    ~xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahaha, I would have been like "Wait...did you take my purse? Where IS my purse?!?!" too! You both look adorable, I can't decide if I like the pop art of the marvel skirt or the kitsch, summer-lawn fact of the flamingos. I'm not big on exposed zippers but with as much pattern as is going on here, I think it's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely need the marvel print one! The cut looks absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are too stinkin cute! I went to her website too after I saw y'alls post with them. I am loving the summer delight one on her site. That marvel dress though, reminds me of the shirts I make for my boyfriend. So far he has a Batman one and a Star Wars one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute you!!! Love print skirt

    http://www.pinkqueen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember the day you (Amanda) commented on my photo of the summer delight dress on Instagram asking where it was from. I like to think I played a role in this! Hehe. You ladies are so beautiful and it's so amazing you're supporting small businesses especially on the other side of the world! I hope to one day meet you both! I am in the states in a few weeks but only on the east coast! :( Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. hot dang, those are awesome dresses! you gals are so talented and i love your taste in snazzy attire! you both rock them so well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of making the zipper a part of the dress as an accent. Also I totally would have gone for the marvel print also! As much as I love flamingos, which is a lot …. I can't help but admire how dorky but fashionable that dress is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What whimsical, wonderful dresses! Sweetheart style is my favourite of type of neckline ever. It's so gloriously feminine, becoming, and perfect for those with curves (*shoots hand up in the area*).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  24. These dresses are amazing! I love both prints but superheros are my weakness *__* So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. EXACTLY! I think this is the first time I've ever seen one made into something aesthetically pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh that's awesome! My little brother was explaining to me the whole concept of retcon'ing, etc. and having me watch Origins videos on YouTube with him while I was home! I can't decide where to start, I feel a little overwhelmed. I would love to collect singles but I feel like I might be better served with just buying a compendium of something at this point! Tough decision!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Exactly! I love that the two can easily be merged and still work! I want the Wonder Woman dress SO BADLY!!!! I'm going to have to start savin' up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always try to tag my suitcase photos for that exact reason! haha. I agree, she has some awesome, original stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hahaha I should've played it off better instead of running like a scared little girl... And I want a Marvel one so badly now that I have my kitsch-fix! But I can't turn down a good flamingo! I think I wouldn't have been a fan had the dress been a solid color, only because it would've been too much of a "statement".


    Also, we need to have another meet-up soon I feel like I haven't seen anyone since we were wearing peacoats and scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Agreed! I want it + the Wonder Woman one! Hello, wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  31. OH THAT SUMMER DELIGHT ONE! At the time we were choosing our items, she was out of the fabric or I probably would've snagged that one! And ummm that sounds totally awesome! You've gotta show us one of these awesome shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You most definitely did! I'm seriously so glad you're one of the people that actually responds to comments because Laura was a dream to work with!


    And thank you so much, small businesses are some of our favorites because we get to know the owners and we've yet to meet one we didn't love. We hope we get to meet you one day as well! We'd love to do some international traveling, but who knows when we'll even be able to. I hope you have fun visiting the US!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well thank you so much, the snazzier the better! We love a good, busy pattern any day : )

    ReplyDelete
  34. I had SUCH a hard time picking which one I wanted, because I absolutely LOVE kitsch but my inner geek is so strong. haha. I felt like I hadn't read enough of any of the comics on the dresses to justify wearing one without feeling like I was unworthy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sweethearts are my favorite necklines as well, as long as they don't plunge too much, I love the femininity of them as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  36. Agreed, superheros are amazing, I want the Wonder Woman dress SO badly now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. You still made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a very interesting article. The information is well researched and highly
    informative. I love the way the tpics are choosen. They are so useful in our
    day to day life.By the way, I found this post shared on you can see

    ReplyDelete