Outfit Post: Patterns on Patterns (including The Weasley's)

Friday, July 11, 2014

In the past, we've made it no secret that we're suckers for a good pattern (regardless of the pattern.) Some people seem to think there is some sort of unspoken fashion rule about mixing patterns with other patterns or prints with patterns... we get a lot of instagram comments along those lines or they just think it's tacky.  Well, apparently no one ever taught us that rule... that or, we just don't care!


Some of my favorite pieces of clothing are novelty prints. This skirt, however, is my holy grail of novelty prints! I've always loved Egyptian hieroglyphics so when I saw this vintage skirt I instantly fell in love, even though it took me a couple of trips back and forth to Sweet Ludie's Vintage (hoping it would still be there) to buy it. What better to pair it with than my "Where's Waldo?" shirt.  Between the red hair and the hieroglyphs, I feel like I went with the Weasley's on their infamous trip to Egypt, imagine me right there in front of Percy!

via

When I thought about patterns on patterns, I didn't know quite what I wanted to wear, but after blowing up Amelia's phone with outfit options, this is what we chose.  I decided to channel my inner Peggy from Mad Men and rock a curly ponytail.  I've started re-watching the show lately and I have a folder of hair inspiration photos to experiment with.  This week, 3 new teasing tools and 2 more sizes of sponge curlers were ordered for experimentation!  I feel like the Dr. Frankenstein of 60s hair.

I've had this vintage gingham shirt for a while and it's huge, but after tacking the sides in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was just the right length to be tied in a little knot (short of a good belt, I think this is one of the best ways to accentuate your waistline).  I recommend doing this with any cute, vintage guys shirts you come across, it's a great lazy day option and it's quite comfy.

via

This skirt was one of my first vintage purchases several years ago so it's near +dear.  It doesn't have a union label, so judging by that and the way it's made, I think it's probably an 80's does 50's piece.  Also from the 80's, I borrowed this Liz Claiborne bag from my mom the last time I was home when my purse fell apart, I love it... she might not get it back (sorry mom!)  Also, that peach brooch is held together with basically an entire bottle of gorilla glue... I got errr... a little impatient trying to repair it... but I succeeded (even though I had no finger prints for a few days). 

Are you a patterns on patterns fan?
Let's see some outfit photos!

20 comments:

  1. Love the outfits! Seriously who cares about matching everything together! You girls were thinking outside the box and I love that!

    Marie,
    http://www.mariedarling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are cuties. Loving the "Weasley" look and I like that print with the checks too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer @ grimmricksenJuly 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

    Psssh to hell with fashion rules. I say do whatever makes you feel beuatiful and I happen to LOVE mixing patterns. I often have people shake their heads at me and say things like "That wouldn't work on anyone else but you make it work!"

    And both of your skirts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silver Cat Tea PartyJuly 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM

    LOL! So cute ladies! I have a mix and match outfit too! Check out my stripes, print, and polka dot here: http://silvercatteaparty.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-belated-mothers-day-tea-at-english.html :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love complimentary and even competing patterns. It seems so absurd that people wouldn't do it because of some outmoded "rule" - it's fun and lively and looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness Miss June, this just might be my new favorite outfit of yours! So summery and bright!


    Cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessss. There's no rules! Patterns on patterns are great together :D I love your outfits <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love patterns on patterns but Ive never been able to really do it myself. I always feel like I can't get the right look and it clashes too much if that makes sense because I think theres a graceful way to do mixing prints and a I look like Im going in for spirit week at high school and dress for mix-match day ( I hope Im not the only one who did that! maybe my school was just weird) but both of yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wardrobe experienceJuly 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM

    'yes' for patterns on patterns. i love to mix different kind of prints ... sadly my office job doesn't let's me mix as i actuallylike to mix ... wear ing big skirts and vintage-y hairdos is already enough. ;)

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well thank you! I honestly never really feel like I match, and I'm totally ok with that! haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you ma'am! And I was editing the post and texted Katie to tell her she looked like a Weasley and then we got a little too excited and had to sneak it into the post haha.


    And thank you, I love random geometric prints, they're super 80s, but that's ok. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. We feel the exact same way... that and I have no idea what the rules are technically supposed to be... Mixing patterns really is a lot of fun, it livens things up a bit. People say shit like that to me all the time, I'm sure it's part compliment, part insult. haha


    And thank you, we got them from the same vintage-seller in our home town!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well thank you so much! And what a cute mix + match outfit! Also, that little tea shop is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, so do I, why not! Sometimes I'm surprised at what actually looks good together once I'm wearing it. I basically just disregard all rules involving fashion. haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, well thank you so much Miss Kelsey! I love the fun, summery outfits! Especially ones that look OK with my hair up... because it is getting SO HOT here in Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreed, no rules, fashion anarchy! ; ) And thank you, ma'am! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAAHAHA spirit week at high school made my literally laugh out loud in the middle of class. We totally did that as well. I usually just try to mix a big print with a small print, sometimes that makes things look less chaotic. And thank you, this post was a bit last minute, and we both just went for it

    ReplyDelete
  18. My office job doesn't' really like it either, I wear a lot of solid colors for work and casual dresses, I try not to test my limits TOO much haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely love this! All for this! the quirkier the prints the better!!!! keep it up! ^_^
    Lilli.

    http://inescapableclothing.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well thank you Miss Lilli,
    I totally agree! The quirkier the print, the more fun.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete