Favorite Brick + Mortar Vintage Shops, Part I: Nashville, TN + Augusta, GA

Thursday, July 31, 2014

So, after our short series on online vintage shopping, we sort of neglected our Vintage Adventures topic on our blog.  We buy + wear vintage all the time and have considered posting our monthly "vintage hauls" and explaining how we came across them, but weren't quite sure about that idea, especially because vintage pieces are "one-of" (is this something y'all would be interested in?)

After receiving a few emails through our contact form about good places to shop in Nashville and asking where we buy our vintage, we thought it might be time to share a couple of our favorite brick + mortar shops in our hometowns!

source
source
The Hip Zipper is hands down my absolute favorite vintage shop in Nashville.  It's is BY FAR the most reasonably priced and I don't have to worry about getting items with condition problems when I shop there, and get to shop in peace instead of having to use my 4+ years of working at Plato's Closet in college to "inspect" each item (haha oh y'all should hear some of the stories I have from working there for so long).  More often than not, the owner Trisha is there and she's always so accommodating and fun to chat with, the entire staff is.  They also keep a running list of all the other shops in Nashville that sell vintage (it's like the Nashville vintage-shoppers bible) and give them out to customers.  If you're looking for good vintage in Nashville, this is probably where you should start!


This was my most recent purchase from The Hip Zipper.  I bought it knowing I'd have to alter the sleeves + the waist (it's about 2 inches too loose) but got lazy and haven't done it yet.  But, I decided to belt the shit out of it and model it anyways!  It very much reminded me of a girl scout uniform mixed with a dress I saw Trudy Campbell wearing on Mad Men minus the novelty print (my hair actually started out in a beehive and I gave up on it... I've decided my hair's identity is disheveled weather reporter on-location.)  I also love that the fabric shimmers (it's hard to tell in photos) but I think what sold me was the GIANT early '60s collar and the fact that the original belt was intact.


Vintage shopping in a small town is not the easiest thing, and I know a lot of you can relate to that!  In Augusta, Ga there are literally two vintage clothing stores.  The photos above are of Vintage Ooollee.  Vintage Ooollee is located in Augusta's downtown, and it is actually a costume rental and vintage shop combo!  I spend most of my time on the vintage side, but it is nice to wander over into the costume area (we've even rented a petticoat from Vintage Ooollee before!).  Like I said before, vintage shopping is almost nonexistent in Augusta, but going into Vintage Ooollee is amazing because their selection is pretty big, and it's also great to talk to people who are passionate about vintage.  If they don't have something you are looking for Caren (aka Ooollee) is great at recommending other vintage stores in the...somewhat close by region.  One of my favorite things about this shop is that it is actually organized by size and not by color like so many vintage stores. 


This is definitely my favorite purchases from Vintage Ooollee!  I am a sucker for shirt dresses, but I try not to buy too many of them.  However, the pink toile print, collar, and matching belt are really what sold me on this 1960s shirtdress.  Seriously, my heart flutters when I find a printed dress with matching printed belt.  I love that this dress is also pretty modest, which is what makes it one of my go-to dresses to wear to work.  I am definitely the weirdest dressed person in the office, but I still look put together!

Shopping for vintage locally is a great hands on experience, but it is also fairly inconsistent since it varies on town, store and current stock.  However, those inconsistencies are nothing compared to finding the perfect piece of vintage!    

Do you prefer vintage shopping locally or online?
Do you have a favorite local vintage shop?  If so, share! 

22 comments:

  1. I love going into Atlanta and looking in the thrift stores. You go to the right area and you can get some amazing finds. I also here Athens is great. I personally have had some luck there. I just happen to live about an hour away from either place.

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! You guys have some great vintage stores. There's just one that I like around here, which is called Treasure Trove Vintage, but it's quite a small store. Sometimes I just like shopping online more because measurements are given more often (as opposed to just S/M/L on tags in a lot of vintage brick and mortars, at least here)!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do a food and other stuff list too, I'd love to visit Nashville someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only two shops in my town too! But lots of thrifts to scour! I love vintage anything so yes please post vintage finds! <3
    ~xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I wish I had kept the brown dress I put back at an estate sale today! But I did leave with several shirt dresses and a few others. :) You girls have inspired me to collect my own vintage, and I'm going to school (I'm a high school teacher) dressed like a 1950s secretary this year. I've always loved the look but never was brave enough. Last year one of my co-workers said, "Would you PLEASE dress like your photos on Facebook?" LOL. I usually just do it for photo shoots and special occasions. I also just finished sewing my first dress from one of my grandma's 1950s patterns. It turned out so cute! Anyway, now that I've written a book...thanks for all your posts. I've even ordered a waist cincher after your advice on corsets and got my petticoats too! You're awesome, and adorable! I'll let you know what the kids think when I head off to teach that first day. Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know, i've been vintage shopping in nashville for years and never gone into the hip zipper. i don't look through vintage clothes often because they usually don't fit me, but I might have to stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I would definitely love to see more posts about your vintage hauls. I live vicariously through those who are able to actually fit in authentic vintage and you ladies always look so stunning in your finds <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just putting it out there guys, check regular antique shops. It is usually a miss, but I've found some some super cheap dresses. Also there are some places that have many antique dealers under the same roof (they share the rent, and watch each other shops) I've found a really cute blouse for $5 and a dress for $15 in the same antique co-op from different sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wardrobe experienceAugust 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

    lovely post!
    since i life in berlin i love to go flea market and local shopping for mid century pieces ... before the move i shopped most things of my wardrobe on ebay ...

    your both vintage dresses are absolutely adorable!!! i was asked to do a post about vintage shopping in berlin. hopefully i find some time for this soon ...

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE browsing around Atlanta as well but I don't make it up there too often anymore. My fiancee was living there for a while and I was up there ALL the time, I miss it! I haven't been to Athens since my freshman year of college! I would've never thought there were good thrift stores there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we'll probably start posting them on our blogging lazy days, once a month! I do a little bit of clean-up and very small alternations, but I'm not much of a seamstress (at all). haha.

    We actually have a friend that used to run a vintage shop and has AMAZING care instructions, maybe we'll bother her about guest posting! I do know she uses a whole, hell of a lot of Oxyclean!

    And I am trying to keep up the wedding posts without overdoing it and Katie is actually already back to being a redhead!

    No judgment here! Technology happens. haha. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, maybe I'll do an "essential spots to visit in Nashville" post or something!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We found out a few days ago that our favorite vintage shop in Augusta, GA won't be open any longer at the end of the year and we are SO sad! And that's definitely one of the reasons I prefer shopping online as well but... I'm also guilty of carrying a sewing tape measure around in my purse and whip it out to measure pieces in brick + mortar stores haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'm spoiled as far as places to go because I live in Nashville, but not-so-spoiled because things get a bit picked through over time. And I think we might introduce "vintage hauls" once a month or so on a blogging lazy day! Why not! haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a pink toile before, when she tried on that dress I told her she HAD to have it! And we will definitely do that! I always wonder how exactly to explain HOW I accessorize, I need to work on that!


    I do most of my shopping online as well for that reason + the fact that I stay so busy and am always on the go, I don't have a WHOLE lot of time to visit brick + mortar's either so I know what you mean. But I definitely agree, nothing quite like the feeling of supporting small business and walking out of store with a new vintage piece without having to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love it, Rae! I think you'd have fun stopping in! I've actually also become addicted to stopping into Live True once a week or so, I love her vintage room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After these comments, I have a feeling y'all will probably be seeing vintage haul posts in some capacity. And thank you so much! <33

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, I NEVER would've chosen this dress for myself if one of my favorite ladies in The Hip Zipper hadn't literally carried it to the dressing room while I was already undressed. haha.


    And I am seriously so flattered to hear that, you sound like the most amazing + best dressed high school teacher ever, I would've LOVED for one of my teachers to wear vintage when I was in high school! I bet your first day will be amazing! I also envy your ability to sew, I am terrible at it, but I also haven't tried very hard to learn. My poor machine. If you took a photo of the dress you should post it! I'm so curious!


    I hope you're loving the things we recommend, we try to be careful about what we endorse because we'd hate for anyone to be disappointed! This comment was seriously the sweetest! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. We definitely check regular antique shops and the way most of the ones here in Nashville are set up, all of them have at least ONE vintage-selling booth inside (I think every single one I've visited here in Nashville operates under the "booth" system where dealers pay rent.) I love frequenting them but my finds have become so inconsistent, I don't go as often as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is an amazing flea market here too, it's once a month and it's so much fun to visit! I love vintage shopping on eBay as well.


    You'll have to let me know if you decide to do that post, I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oxyclean! Thanks so much for the info. You guys are the sweetest replying to comments. I love how interactive your blog and IG are. I feel like a little kid writing to my childhood heroes but then actually getting a response back. Gives me the warm fuzzies. It's nice to look up to people again at my age :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a little harder on IG because of the sheer VOLUME of comments we get, but we try our hardest to at the very least, answer questions on there. But we ALWAYS respond here, even if it takes a few extra days. <333 Thank you so much for saying that and for reading though. : )

    ReplyDelete