Pinup on a Budget: Thinking Outside the Oblong Box, Styling a StapleSeparate

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

There is a one tool in the Pinup on a Budget toolbox, that is absolutely invaluable, it's the "staple separate."   We mentioned here how much we absolutely love circle skirts (the Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny skirt in particular) but that means you need a good top to go with them!  Preferably a top that can be worn with lots of outfits interchangeably to 1) save space in your wardrobe and 2) save money!  Well girl, we've got you covered!


We partnered with Denialle over at The Oblong Box Shop who has provided one of the most versatile "staple separate" tops either of us have ever worn and even better, it's only $20!  It's called the "Sweetheart Pinup Top" and The Oblong Box Shop offers it in a myriad of colors.  This cute-as-a-button top features a sweetheart neckline with a cute twist along the bustline.  It also has gathering along the sides that brings attention to the waist, but also gives a slimming affect.  With thick straps and stretchy fabric, this top will accommodate many sizes (hide thing bra straps).  It also comes with lightly padded cups for added support or if you're one of the lucky few that can get away with it, to help you rock the top without a bra.
POB 5-25-14
Coral  |  Jade  |  Black  |  White  |  Voodoo Vamp  |  Cobalt Red

How did Amelia style it?

Amelia is wearing the Sweetheart Pin Up Top in Cobalt in a size small.  I had way too much fun outfitting this top, because it is so versatile!  The color blue is seriously so amazing, and complimented my pale skin perfectly.  It's the type of color that would look amazing on any skin tone!  I paired the top with the Pinup Girl Clothing Jenny Skirt in Neverland Print (which we talk about here).  I love the color combination of pink and blue, and it helps that the skirt also has multiple blue tones through-out it.  Running with my color theme I wore a blue brooch and a pink flower.  One of the amazing things about the top is how well it fits.  It is form fitting so it makes your figure look amazing!  Seriously, I don't know if it makes my boobs or waist look better. haha  (this is June and I just want to say that Amelia looks like a cotton candy dream in the photos below. )



I call this my art teacher skirt, because it just screams "lets finger paint something" to me.  I love the colors of this vintage skirt, and the color blue in the skirt perfectly matches the top.  I also pinned on an adorable gold bug brooch that June bought me, because it makes me think of her and that makes my little heart happy.  Although, I paired this skirt with two circle skirts it would look amazing with high-waisted shorts!  Honestly, I want to buy some just so I can pair it with this top.  Maybe I'll get red ones so I can be a little sailor (or Spiderman).  I'm already planning to purchase the jade version of this top as soon as it comes back into stock, because that color green is perfect!


  How did June style it?

June is wearing the Sweetheart Pin Up Top in Coral in a size small.  I absolutely love this top, but I will say, the jade was out of stock and the coral was out of stock in a medium and those were my top two choices, because they're colors I don't really own.  For that reason, I went ahead with the small, but I found the top to be very true to size so my future Pin Up Sweetheart Tops will be mediums, but I poured my boobs into this top anyways just for y'all! haha.  I absolutely loved the feel of this top and the twist along the bustline.  This is totally an oxymoron, but's it's obvious in a subtle way.  It draw's attention to the butstline of the top, but not your actual.... bust.  haha



Did we mention that this top is super versatile? (Trick question, we mentioned it a bajillion times already but it really is.)  I love that it can be worn by itself, or as an under-layer or pop of color with a cardigan or jacket over it.  I bought this suit from Bettie Page Clothing at the beginning of the year when my Property professor told us when we brief cases in his class, we are expected to "dress like we would for Court" (lord help us, I haven't had to brief yet.)  I've been trying to decide what to wear under the jacket and tried both black + white tops and various styles of tops, but I really love the coral and sweetheart bustline.  I imagine the jade or red would look just as adorable and I'll be buying a few more of these to wear under my suits (yawn, suits).  I would also like to note, that I still feel totally awkward in a pencil skirt and I want to run and hide inside my petticoat.


The Oblong Box Shop was also sweet enough to send us these adorable glitter + resin earnings!  Denialle actually makes these herself (which is awesome).  They come in 4 colorways and can be made with nickel free posts or clip-on backs (the nickel free part is super important to those of us who are allergic to nickel and swell like a balloon every time it's near.)  These are June's first post earrings since she decided not to wear her plugs anymore, but she made 'em work.

POB 5-25-14 Part 2
colorway options include: bronze baby  |  pink kitten  |  blue mermaid  | red glamour


Also, for those of you able to attend, The Oblong Box Shop is hosting a Pinup Pop-Up Shop on July 19th with special guest Tess Munster, model + body positive activist extraordinaire. They will have hair, makeup, nails + the opportunity to do mini photo shoots on site!  This sounds like so much fun and we really wish we could attend but since we are across the country and cannot, we hope you can! 


Make sure you sign up for the email newsletter to get 30% off once a month.  Also, if you "like" The Oblong Box Shop on Facebook you can find out upcoming shop items and restocks (which is nice because those Sweetheart Pinup Tops go fast and instead of lurking the site daily to find out restock information, you can just check Facebook!)

Have you ever purchased anything from The Oblong Box Shop?
What is your favorite "staple separate" wardrobe piece?

36 comments:

  1. Awesome post, girls! I've seen those tops in her shop before, but have been hesitant about them, since I wasn't sure if they'd be too clingy. But you two look amazing in them, and they look awesome with skirts. I need to incorporate more separates into my wardrobe!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog via oblong shop on instagram and I am glad I did. Love it!


    The Fictionista
    sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that leopard print one... Do want. I love finding out about new shops, and you guys are great for that. I think I'm going to have to place an order pretty soon, because those are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, not to be super crass, but wear a pencil skirt more often because your ass is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why haven't I heard of this shop before?? WHY?! So happy you two posted about them. I love their items!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love these tops! I want to order them in a few colors but they don't come in any bigger sizes than a large. I'm bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ceci Punch DesignsMay 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM

    I love the sweetheart top! I have it in two colors! Need to get more! They are super comfy and versatile! Cutest blog ever! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. wardrobe experienceMay 29, 2014 at 2:10 AM

    those tops look wonderful. if i could find them here in eurupe i would get some ....
    last year i got my hands on two similar ones from walmart on sale. 5 dollars each. and i love them! perfect for hot weather.

    wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Perfect top for only $20! I would buy one in every color and those brooches are to die for!
    xoxo
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww thank you , Sammi! They're definitely fitted, but in this case I don't think that's a bad thing! I was really hesitant about mine at first, especially when I realized I probably should've gone with a medium, but I love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're so glad you found us! And thank you so much! We absolutely love working with shops like Oblong Box. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the leopard one as well, I really just love all of them! haha. And I'm so happy to hear that! That's exactly what we're going for, we love introducing new shops + brands to our readers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha I thought that the first time I stumbled across the shop too! We're happy to hear that you love it, there are some damn cute things in there! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, I know they're pretty stretchy so the size chart indicates each will fit an above-average range of sizes, but you could always message Denialle, the owner, and see if her wholesaler offers then in other sizes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww thank you so much! I love the top so much... and now I want like every color... which is dangerous haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well even though they're not sold in Europe, I'm glad you found something similar! : ) I agree, tops like this are perfect for hot weather, you can just throw them on with high-waisted shorts or a circle skirt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHAHA well thank you so much. And totally not crass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is nothing better than something that's cute AND inexpensive! I very well might end up with one in every color... haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of that company, but those tops are so cute! And cheap! I love pinup style clothing but I am soo cheap when it comes to buying things that I never wear anything pinup-y myself because of that.
    That coral color is gorgeous! And I actually really like the blue, I've always hated the color but I've noticed myself coming around to it lately, and it does look so good on Amelia's skin (high five for pale girls!)


    Also, June, you should be wearing pencil skirts all the time because, holy booty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They really do look versatile! I'm so interested to see what these other colors look like. Im always in search of tank tops to wear with fuller skirts or even tucked into skirts without bunching.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, they are local to me! And it's right before SDCC, oh I will try my best to convince a friend to come with me!

    Those tops are super super cute, I might try to snag one :3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jessica CangianoMay 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM

    You two gals are dangerous for my wallet, I tell you!!! :) Love these flattering, beautiful tops and will be added them to my wishlist now for sure.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  23. There are a few companies I find to be SUPER reasonably priced if you're teetering on the edge of wanting to dip your toe into the style but you're concerned about affordability. I recommend Lindybop, Hell Bunny, these tops and maybe pair them with the circle skirts from Steady Clothing. I think that's a relatively inexpensive way to approach the style.


    And I agree, Amelia is rockin' that blue, the paler the skin the better the top probably looks haha.


    HAHAHA thanks so much, the fact that I have a tiny waist make by boobs and booty look outta control. *embarrassed face*

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think we'll both be purchasing a couple more with Denialle restocks them again so I'm sure you'll end up seeing the other colors on here ; ) And I know exactly what you mean! Amelia and I took to wearing leotards under ours hahaha no one will everrrrr know ; )

    ReplyDelete
  25. AHHHHH you guys should go and then come back and tell me how amazing it was! It sounds like so much fun because there's a little bit of everything!


    And they really are super cute, for $20, I think everyone should pick one up and try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marie Burns HolzerMay 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM

    Really wish they did plus sizes. Those tops are ADORABLE but I'd never fit in them with my measurements (48-40-49). What's a plus sizes pinup girl to do? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for posting about these tops, ladies! I bought one on Friday and I'm expecting mine tomorrow. As someone with a large bust and a small waist, it's nice to see a figure flattering modest top that actually fits! P.S. Geez Amanda, your body is rocking in that suit! I think you look PERFECT but I can understand the need to hide in a poofy skirt. I'm the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This top is amazing!! I wish they shipped to the UK x

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Oblong Box ShopJune 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

    Hey dolls! I just re-stocked the Pinup Tops and added a new criss-cross style... and the new ones go up to size XL!!! Hurry get one before they are gone again!!!
    http://theoblongboxshop.com/collections/bustiers

    ReplyDelete
  30. June- where did you get those perfect vintage inspired stockings in the picture with that cute suit? I need to get my hands on some. :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete