Designer Spotlight Saturday: Luxulite - Vintage-Inspired Brooches for the Modern Girl

Friday, May 9, 2014

Hello, Accessory Enthusiasts!


If you read our blog regularly, you see Luxulite brooches ALL OVER THE PLACE.  (in June's bridesmaid gifts, in June's outfit roundups and even on Amelia's wedding dress).  They are made by a creative little lady named Katy who lives in the UK.  We are going to include mainly photos and use this post largely to showcase her work as opposed to reviewing them, because they are amazing.  Specifically the two one the ends (the peaches and the mixed fruit) are from her new collection and we were SO excited to receive these.

We were lucky enough to be able to select the brooches of our choice in person for once and snapped some photos actually together, instead of apart, the weekend of Amelia's birthday!  We both found that although our vintage dresses were patterned, the brooches made a lovely addition.  We broke out the fruit ones first because we couldn't resist.


I picked this dress up from The Hip Zipper in Nashville the day I was taking blog photos and fell in love.  I realized after taking photos that this brooch almost becomes camouflaged within the pattern of the dress, but I really love how it adds a little something extra if you're paying attention.  

This pink toile dress was a new vintage addition that I got my birthday weekend!  Although the print is extremely busy I thought that the white background was a perfect canvas for showcasing my new brooch--which I've nicknamed my fruit salad brooch.  I definitely think that pairing brooches with dresses that don't exactly match is a fun way to stretch your wardrobe and style things differently.  If you try and match brooches only with things that are the same color you will probably soon find yourself running out of options or with a huge brooch collection!


I was so excited when I found out one of the brooches in Luxulite's new collection was this little peachy creation.  I was also pleasantly surprised that it looked quite complimentary with this patterned vintage dress that Amelia gifted to me, instead of it looking too busy.  Brooches are still my way of "cheating" as far as jewelry is concerned.  So much easier than fiddling with a necklace.


This Bernie Dexter dress (post about Bernie Dexter here) has always been one of my favorite dresses, because of all the colors in it.  Since it's so colorful, I can pick and choose how to accessorize it.  When I saw this brooch, I knew I had to have it so I could match it to this dress.  This is an example of how you can match the brooch color with the dress for an added pop and emphasis of color.  Yellow is my favorite color so the added yellow is definitely a huge plus for me!  This will probably be my go-to brooch for when I wear this dress.

Before we let y'all go, we wanted to mention not to get discouraged if you don't QUITE see something you love in the Luxulite shop or you see something you love and someone else gets to it before you do.  Katy is so incredibly accommodating about custom orders and doesn't charge much (if anything) extra to make sure you get something you love made just for you.  Katy at Luxulite mixed special resin colors, added special "sparkles" and even let June pick the bead and wire colors for her bridesmaid brooches

Here's a sampling of some of her other recent creations:



Do you own a Luxulite brooch? Let's see how you style them!
Post a photo below in the comments!

36 comments:

  1. What a nice collecton of Luxulite you ladies have! I loveee Luxulite so much! I am seriously addicted; I have three more on the way! Katy is just the best. :)

    ~Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love your style. I was wondering how much you spend on clothing (approximately) every month?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer @ grimmricksenMay 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

    I'm a little (a lot) jealous of your collection. I have one of her brooches and it's absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to pick up a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own three Luxulite brooch and one custom cherry bracelet. I LOVE Katy's creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria AndersonMay 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM

    I've had my eye on her bowling brooch for a while. Will you ever be hooking up with the designers for a special discount with them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all so gorgeous! I love the peach one! I have quite a large brooch collection but hers are so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a very clear picture of me wearing any of them, but I do have a picture of my reasonably large collection of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh yes Luxulite! I am waiting for them to restock the adorable fruit necklaces they had a few months ago (I hope they do!) all of their brooches are gorgeous too <3

    http://www.harlowdarling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica CangianoMay 11, 2014 at 7:50 AM

    What wonderfully pretty brooches!!! I've been swooning over her fabulous offerings for years. One of these days I'll treat myself and order some, I just know it. (For the record, yes, I fully realize that I say that about a fair number of the brands and products you feature here, but when you're a vintage loving gal on a mega budget, most things exist in the wishlist zone for quite some time before landing in my closet.)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm obsessed with that peach one! I'm hoping to get one for my birthday <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is part mine and part Amelia's so neither of us can take all the credit ; ) What does yours look like? A girl can never have too many brooches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH I bet you have quite a collection now, I always catch a glimpse of them on your outfits! Which ones did you get this time?! She really is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! What do yours look like! I always love hearing which ones people picked up! I wish I was better about wearing bracelets! I have, however considered picking up a match stick or cherry necklace from her! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bowling brooches as well! And we are working hard on that! I know we have one coming up soon with Oblong Box Shop and I'm sure we might be able to work something out with Katy in the future as well ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the peach one as well the day it came out I had people messaging me photos of it all day haha hers are very unique, which is really saying something. A girl can't have too many brooches!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing collection, and you're so organized keeping them all on the cards! I love the bowling and pineapple creations and have yet to pick up either. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is quite a talented little lady! If you message her about them she will probably happily make you one, she's very good about that. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. The day they came out I had so many people PM'ing me photos of it to make sure I'd seen it haha I love it so much! I hope you do too, such a fun way to add a little flare to an outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They really are fabulous because she is so incredibly talented! And I completely understand, you should message her via Etsy, she's such a sweet lady and is looking to expand her brand, she'd probably love to work with you, you could offer a really amazing first time buyer/opinion approach : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have 2 cherry ones - one red/green and one blue/green. I also have a pink heart brooch with cherries. I am on the hunt for one of her fruit salad ones!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, you should message her! She can either customize on for you (you could pick the resin color and such for the base which is awesome) or she could tell you when they'll be in. : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got the fruit one with a blue base- it has an apple, lemon, banana, and cherries, the one with coral beads & a blue base, and a pineapple based one with white beads!! The pineapple one looks sooo neat, can't wait to receive that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OHHHH!!!!!!! So many goodies! I love the pineapple one and the fruit salad one! I want both! Do you follow "mira_mae" on instagram? The one she has from Luxulite is PHENOMENAL, I think a similar one might be in my future. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't follow her, but I will now! Thanks for the tip, lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I'm going to need to get a bigger box for them, especially if I buy any more! I can't choose a favourite out of any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jennifer @ grimmricksenMay 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM

    Here is my beauty: http://instagram.com/p/k0AY6zoR9Y

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I am terrible about deciding which is my favorite! I've actually seen some pretty interesting ways to store brooches involving photo frames and fabric! I might try that in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  28. OHMYGOD! I love the green+gold combo! I don't have one with a base shaped like that quite yet! You're giving me brooch envy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wardrobe experienceMay 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

    i really like those luxulite booches ... maybe i will go for a fruity one one day ...
    but ...eeeeeek ... this blue vintage dress with green buttons june found in nashville takes my breath away! good buy!

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have one of the fruit salad brooches and I'm in love with it. They are more impressive in person, if that's possible!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I've been thinking of doing something like that! It's a really clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the fruity ones as well, I actually don't own one yet, but I would love to! And thank you, the dress really was SUCH a lucky find! I think it was only $25!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I totally agree, they are even more beautiful in person than in photographs, you just can't capture that sort of sparkle in a photo. haha

    ReplyDelete
  34. Julie Wanda EspyMay 16, 2014 at 12:25 AM

    Yay! I've been eyeing these brooches since I started following your blog but always assumed they were handmade or vintage! Now I can get some for myself! I have a mega-corporate job where the only way to express yourself while wearing a soul-sucking married suit (top/bottom must match) is to splash out with vintage jewelry or amazing shoes. Now I can add to my amazing brooch collection! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh! We need to get better about tagging the little things like these so peopel know : ) I understand working in a mega corporate field, I work in a law office, but my aunt is my "direct boss" so I get a liiiittle leeway. I'll have to be on the look out for fun office-appropriate pizzazz to mention! : )

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love all of Katys creations! I love mine and can't wait to purchase more very soon! (It may become a monthly purchase!) Love the dress Katie gave you sweet and Kate your new vintage dress is lovely! :) x

    ReplyDelete