Meet June's Fiancee, Collin:
Confessions of a Vinyl Record Collector

Monday, April 7, 2014

Meet Collin! June's handsome, record lovin' fiancee!

Amelia is still on her honeymoon, so we thought today would be a great day to introduce you to a my fiancee, Collin! Amelia and I mention our significant others frequently in our posts and they are SO patient with our frantic, busy lives with (in my case) law school, my white collar job AND blogging.  So, here are the faces behind 1/2 of our support system (you'll meet Michael in the future.) And I thought I would give him the forum to talk about his favorite hobby a bit, record collecting!  We're going to do this in Q+A form.


The Hunt

June: What's you're favorite part about record hunting/shopping? 
Probably the allure of always being surprised. A lot of the time, I’ll go shopping with a certain title in mind, and leave with something COMPLETELY different, ya know? The idea of finding something rare, unique or even something I’ve been hunting forever for is really fun for me. I refer to records like that as only existing in the "eBay realm" and when I come across them, especially at a steal, I lose it.


The Collection

June: What made you start collecting records?
My parents raised me with a turntable in my home/room. I’d listen to stuff over and over. The attention and care involved in listening to vinyl is completely different from any other medium. You buy an mp3 online, put it on your ipod or phone and that’s that. Listening to records takes time and attention. Flipping it, placing the needle down. The ritual of it is the fun part!


Currently Listening

June: What are you currently listening to?  Tell me a little about these records!
Well I listen to tons of stuff, new and old, constantly to feed my need for audial adventure, but Iately I’ve been listening to Future Islands “Singles” and Songs: Ohia “Magnolia Electric Co.” a bunch.  Each band name is linked with one of my favorite songs for y'all to listen to.
Future Islands is an incredibly talented band that’s been around for a while, but have become pretty popular recently having their Letterman performance go viral last month (probably due to frontman Samuel T. Herring’s peculiar stage presence). Think Morrissey, Tom Waits, and a 1950’s lounge singer on a sugar high.
Songs: Ohia delivers americana drenched folk.  Magnolia Electric Co. is a beautifully constructed example of the late Jason Molian’s ability to created a heartfelt songs with just the right amout of pedal steel guitar. The final track “Hold On Magnolia”  comes highly recommended if you’re looking to check out his material. But honestly, buy the record. DO IT.


All Time Vinyl Fav's

June: What are a couple of your all time favorite records?
Ok, lemme level with you. There’s so many albums and bands that feel critical to my exist of the years. Stuff that you hear and just go “WOW”.  Favorites for me always stay in rotation and never seem to lose their appeal. Again, each band name is linked with one of my favorite songs for y'all to listen to.
Minus The Bear: This band will ALWAYS be one of my go to's. I celebrate their entire catalog, but “Menos El Oso” is definitely worth the listen. Amazing grooves, intriguing guitar work...all around greatness.
Husker Dü: These punk pioneers managed to accomplish something very few have: fusing musicianship and raw aggression. I picked their debut 7” “Statues” and my personal favorite “Candy Apple Grey”. Vocalist and Guitarist Bob Mould has gone on to create a name for himself with bands such as Sugar, Superchunk, Low and even Foo Fighters. Incredibly talented band.

Final Words

June: Do you have any final fun/random record collecting tidbits for Junebug readers?  Favorite spots, perhaps?
Just always continue to discover. Never stop digging for something new. Something fun. Buy the record 'cause of the art or 'cause of the label the band is on. Don’t be afraid to snag that $1 record at Goodwill or the thrift store 'cause hey, it could be your new favorite album!

I’m always excited to find new spots to explore and listen to music. The Groove here in Nashville continues to blow me away with their selection and awesome staff. Other notable spots regionally for me would be Wax N’ Facts in Atlanta, GA, Wuxtry in Athens, GA and Manifest Records in Columbia, SC. Hope you guys have as much fun on your next record trip as I always do.

Happy Digging!

I hope y'all enjoyed meeting my finacee, Collin!

15 comments:

  1. He's pretty cute! He knew EXACTLY how he wanted to approach this post lol. His music taste is a bit peculiar so you'll have to let me know what you think if you take a listen! Minus the Bear is probably my favorite band within the few he mentioned. I'll have to make a stop by! Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from the Collective blog hop & now I'm your newest GFC follower.
    Thanks
    Angie
    PS – I would also like to invite you to a blog hop called: “The Great Blog Train” currently on my blog –we are travelling to the Adirondacks & visit our Dining Car for a great recipe! Thank you! http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2014/04/the-great-blog-train-16-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this...mostly because I felt like it may has well been written by my fella. He regularly will buy an album just because it has a fun cover or looks weird or because it has a unique colored vinyl. His collection will NEVER be complete...I'm sure Collin can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. June, you + Collin are so cute it's not even funny! I A piece of my heart will always be devoted to playing/find records..It's such a rush when you find a good one. The eBay realm thing made me laugh so hard because its SO true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and awesome collection of vinyl there! I cant wait to go purchase some new music to listen to. I'm really hoping one day I can visit Nashville and go to a few of these record stores. Oh and meet you two of course! My husband Paul doesn't have a large collection of vinyl but has a HUGE collection of comics!! I'll have to get him to do a post one day about them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica CangianoApril 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM

    Awesome, and very charming, post. It makes me think that more of us bloggers should interview and post about our spouses/significant others. They're a pivotal and truly important part of our lives, yet often just get mentioned in passing (if at all) in our posts.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. wardrobe experienceApril 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM

    very nice post.
    my man loves records and cassette tapes and super 8 movies. he also starts dj-ing this months again ...

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should seriously all go grab coffee or dinner or something one day! We can chat about random things and they can talk about music and record collecting! And I'm afraid his collection will one day outgrow our house haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Angela! And we actually have a tragic tone arm breakage incident yesterday so we had to purchase a new player. And the eBay realm thing really IS true! I've tried to find a few specific things for him as a surprise... impossible finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, ma'am! And that really is a funny coincidence! A girl's gotta love a guy with a passion! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! And that's awesome! Collin used to play in a band, I love how music collectors usually have an additional music related hobby, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do have quite an extensive collection! If you ever come visit we will totally chauffeur you around and show you the little record shops! Amelia's fiancee Michael collected comics... until he sold them to buy her engagement ring! haha I'll be looking out for your comic collection post. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, Jessica. He really is one of the most important parts of my life and I was so glad he was up for being interviewed and that he was excited enough with the post to share it on the vinyl board's hes' a member of. I would love to read more about people's other halves! I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm know I'm quite late to this post but I have to say "Thank you Colin!" I've recently been looking for something new to listen to(I like a little bit of everything) and have now found something I like because of one of his picks: Husker Du. I've heard the name through the years but never listened to their music of which I am listening to now whilst at work(gotta love that youtube).

    ReplyDelete
  15. He says he's stoked that you liked them and that if you're looking for more music that you should look up The Replacements and The Hold Steady. <3

    ReplyDelete