June's Vintage Haul:
The Lion, The Witch + Grandma's Wardrobe

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Vintage Haul from Grandma's House


Welcome to Riverside, or as I like to call it, Grandma's House!  This house has been in our family almost since it's construction in 1857.  Some rooms have even remained largely, stylistically untouched.  For this reason, every old dresser drawer you open or jewelry box you peek into is bound to have something interesting in it, even if it's something as small as an old button or marble. Ok, so that might be boring to some people, but I always loved to find things that were my dad's or even my grandma's.



My grandma only lives a town over from Nashville but with law school and work, it's sometimes difficult for me to find my way out there (I lived in a house across the street until I was 11) which makes me feel horrible because I love going out there.  But, I always make my way for holidays so I found myself there on Easter Sunday, hanging out on her giant porch, wishing I could sell my house and move in with my amazing, southern socialite Grandma (sorry Collin haha).  She would probably never refer to herself as such, but I've always thought of her that way.  She's the most sincere and kind-hearted person I know and we don't go anywhere together without someone knowing her.  But, I also think my opinion might be jaded. because I am and always have been a grandma's girl.

Vintage dress via Etsy, Vintage belt via Nashville Flea Market, thrifted peach brooch, B.A.I.T Hansel Heels in Yellow

We did the southern, post-church lunch with family + friends (in our family that's usually a 30 person minimum for holidays) and then it was just grandma and I!  We were hanging out in the living room talking about vintage clothing when she suggested we'd take a trip upstairs.  She keeps an amazing antique wardrobe (god only knows how long that thing has been in the house, but it's quite lovely) on one of the landings of the second floor.  She opened the wardrobe and started pulling out all these garment bags. I've been waiting Y-E-A-R-S for this moment because you can't help but hope your grandma kept some of her clothing when you're into vintage.

My grandma was TINY in high school, like 24" waist Amelia Jetson tiny (shut it, Amelia we all know your figure is perfect).  So, I came to the realization long ago that if she DID have any of her old clothing, even if I could zip it in the waist, it wouldn't fit my awkwardly large-for-my-size bust (thanks a lot genetics).  But current weight loss partnered with tightlacing progress made me think I might be able to wear something that had been my grandma's! She opened the wardrobe and started pulling out the garment bags...

And this is what I saw:

Her Senior Prom Dress, eat your heart out Susie Q.

A Bridesmaid Dress, her least favorite, because she says it's itchy... it totally itchy, she's right.
Another Bridesmaid Dress, look at the little hair piece she also saved wrapped around the hanger.
Her Junior Prom Dress, my personal favorite.

Some of the dresses definitely need some TLC, and some might not zip over my chest currently, but so help my god I will wear each of these dresses somehow. haha.  As I was driving home, started thinking about how all the Alfred Shaheen pieces I've coveted for years and am currently lurking and all the full skirted, novelty print +floral dresses that I pine over on Etsy can't measure up to these, because they were my grandma's.  I feel like I own the most important clothing items I'll ever own!  (Unless there are more hiding away somewhere, you never know!)



  
What is your favorite vintage piece or your most sentimental garment?

38 comments:

  1. those are GORGEOUS!! I'm a little jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma always gave me lots of jewelry pieces but never quite saved her clothes! You're so lucky, those bridesmaids dresses are amazing!
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! I am so envious that your grandma's home has been in your family for so long!! Your new dresses are so lovely!! Lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh.my.gawdddddddddddd Amanda!! And I thought her house was amazing... those dresses!!! I'm completely in love with the yellow one. In love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame the first bridesmaid dress is so itchy, it's beautiful and makes me think of mermaids with the colour and jellyfish like frills (perhaps I'm the only one seeing that...). It's wonderful that you're breathing new life into these dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous dresses Miss June! The blue floral dress is beautiful on you!


    For christmas grandma gave me her unworn pink fox fur hat with pearl detailing and it came in it's original Saks Fifth Avenue box along with the original tissue paper! And then my other grandma (Grammie) gave me some of her mother's pearls for my 21st birthday, those are my favorite things ever!!


    Grandmas are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those dresses are so beautiful! I'm in love with that yellow one. Unfortunately my grandma never held on to her old clothing, but I'm so thrilled for you! Its so sweet that now you'll always have beautiful pieces of hers that are just that much more special <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!!! Those dresses! That pink one is my absolute favorite. It reminds me of Peggy Sue Got Married. Also your grandmas house is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have one very stylish Grandma! What beautiful dresses! I think the pink and lemon are my favourites, but the blue is so beautiful and it looks amazing on you! I love your other outfit, too. Unfortunately I don't have an older relative who has / had such great style to inherit clothes from, but I wish I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That prom dress is amazing. It looks so different on you than the hanger (which looks 1,000 times better on you of coarse) I have my grandma in law's prom dress sitting in my closet waiting to fixed up. I plan on keeping it regardless if it fits since I still have my prom dress. I think it would be cool to hand both down to my daughter (if I have one XD)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The itchy one and one in your last photo are SO. GORGEOUS. They ALL are, but those in particular. How neat to have these lovely heirlooms. I am rooting for you that you get to wear them out on the town (in all their teeny tiny glory) soon! I totally have my "hell or high water" collection of x-small dresses...I just think where there's a will, there's a way. :D Plus I can't believe your family's homestead, jeez LOUISE-- beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! They really are lovely! Don't be jealous quite yet, I can't fit into part of them! haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jewelry is equally as amazing though! I would LOVE for someone in my family to have saved some old Bakelite or something. I'd be so stoked, but no luck with that yet. I am really am lucky that my grandma saved some of her clothing though! She's awesome. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know! I wish they were too big instead of too small so they'd be easy to alter! Never had so much motivation to fit in some dresses haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think sometimes I take it for granted because I basically grew up going over there every day. But it really is amazing. And thank you so much, I can't wait to wear them all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the yellow one too! Sadly, I think it's the tiniest! Whyyyy can't it be easier to alter tiny dresses?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that you say that... I totally agree! It's a mermaid+jellyfish hybrid dress! It's definitely itchy, but not too itchy to wear ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well thank you so much, ma'am!


    OH MY GOD! To receive something like that in all the original packaging! I would die! My grandma jokes about things I'm going to inherit all the time... I'm like GRANDMA, here's an idea... how about you just live... like forever... haha


    Grandma's totally are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the yellow one as well, the neckline and little bow are just so cute! And that definitely makes them all the sweeter. <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha it reminded me of that 90's Disney movie, Susie Q. Such a weird movie, I think the pink power ranger played the main character haha and it totally is an amazing house, favorite day off spot. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. She totally is a stylish lady, they really are all very lovely. And thank you so much! It's vintage as well, but not from grandma. The best thing about vintage is that you have to assume it all has a story, which is amazing. Sometimes shopping estate sales are fun because people are around to tell you the stories, which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha thank you so much! I was actually pleasantly surprised when I tried it on as well! And that is so exciting! I'm keeping all of these whether or not I can make myself fit into them all one day! I wish it was easier to make things a bit bigger alternations wise. That would be really cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you! I also love the itchy one! I wish she had pictures of
    herself in them all! That might be my next scavenge at grandma's house!
    I wish it was easier to alter things to make them a liiiittle bit
    bigger, I'm honestly rooting for myself at this point haha they're tiny!
    Those hell or high water dresses are damn good motivation, though,
    probably even better than a swimsuit! haha

    And thank you so much! It's my favorite place to hideaway.

    Also it was totally amazing seeing you for 10 seconds the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow those dresses are wonderful! She sure had style! ^_^ Your Grandma's junior prom dress looks amazing on you, the pattern is gorgeous! I really hope my Nana kept some of her old dresses, I might have to ask her when I next see her!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a first-generation Canadian, so family homes aren't even in my own country!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jennifer @ grimmricksenMay 1, 2014 at 11:14 PM

    Oh my word... they're beautiful! And nothing beats the sentimental value!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eeeeee you are so lucky!!! What beautiful pieces. It sounds like you have such a close relationship with your grandma, and that's so lovely. Her dress looks beautiful on you. I want to see more photos of her collection! What an awesome connection to have with her.


    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Victoria AndersonMay 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

    That house looks AMAZING!!! I have some of my grandmother's old clothes too, one dress I love a lot but I got some grease stains on it cooking with out an apron (it was her work around the house dress, but still really nice). Some of her other dresses are way too short on me since I'm about a foot taller than her!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you can find pictures of her in the dresses, MAN! How neat would that be to show the dresses now and as they were fifty-plus years ago.


    Good to see you, too, fellow downtown denizen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. wardrobe experienceMay 5, 2014 at 1:02 PM

    sounds like you had a great day with your grandma.

    the past years i spend whole evenings with my granny talking about vintage fashion while having a glas of red wine with her ...

    these moments are so precious! ... the dresses are breath taking.

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  31. That last one that you're wearing is incredible. I can only assume the others will fit with time.

    I have many of the dresses my mum sewed when she was my age. But one in particular has a cute floral print and a more 40s/80's style jacket, but the dress is a 50's style with a biased cut skirt. Its just so cute and i get loads of compliments on it. Especially when I wear hers and gramma's pearls and accessories to match!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My grandma was totally one stylish lady haha, such an amazing surprise to know she kept these! And I totally recommend asking her, because you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're totally right, nothing does. I'm so afraid to even touch them because I'm afraid I'll break a zipper or something. I'd be horrified. lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I might be at the end of the collection, sadly. I don't think she kept a whole lot. And thank you, I was afraid it wouldn't fit but am sooo glad it did! : )

    ReplyDelete
  35. Haha don't we all wish we could just be genetically shaped like our grandmas so we could fit in their old clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  36. It really was a great day, she's such an amazing lady.

    And that sounds like so much fun, stories told by grandma's are some of the best stories. <3

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much! And I very much hope so, I'd love to be able to wear them all!


    Oh! That sounds like ab absolutely lovely outfit! I always forget to throw on pearls when I run out of the house and I feel like they add so much to an outfit.


    It's awesome that your mom sewed! I wish I knew how to sew (it would sure help cut down on my clothes buying) haha. I'm determined to learn one day!

    ReplyDelete