June's Dita Cardigan Alternatives for the Pinup on a Budget

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I want to start by saying I had A LOT of anxiety about this post after I mentioned writing it.  I would hate to insult any designer, especially one I love, by posting anything they feel is a knock off of or insult to their brand.  I say this because  I've come to own a cardigan that very much resembles the Wheels & Dollbaby Dita Cardigan.  That is probably why a lot of you are reading this post. (Also, sorry for the glasses glare my usual glasses broke in a tragic accident.)


I promised my Instagram followers a couple of weeks ago, that I would provide a list of cardigans for the Pinup on a Budget that are good alternatives to the Wheels & Dollbaby Dita Cardigan (which I actually reviewed in depth here because I LOVE THIS CARDIGAN).  But, I realize not everyone can afford to or wants to pay $178 for a cardigan (I actually got over half off on mine and spent that whole day trying to decide if I even wanted to spend that).  I want to accommodate all our readers, regardless of what they can afford.

Well ladies, here they are! Some have similar characteristics, some really aren't that similar at all, they're simply alternatives that I find adorable.  I hope you find at least one that you love and aren't disappointed by my approach.


        1. Mariella Birdcage Cardigan by Collectif - $68 - they have great sales ;)
        2. Flamingo Cardigan by Banned - $41
        3. Rose Collar Cardigan by Banned - $48
        4. Fannie Cardigan by Voodoo Vixen- $45
        5. Harriet Cardigan by Voodoo Vixen - $52
        6. Pineapple Cardigan by Banned - $34
        7. Martini Cardigan by Voodoo Vixen - $35
        8. Mariella Hibiscus Cardigan by Collectif - $41

 Favorites:



Left: Mariella Birdcage Cardigan by Collectif : For $67 from Collectif London (I actually got mine on sale I believe on Black Friday), you can buy this amazing birdcage embroidered cardigan.  Like the Dita cardigan, the collar features velvet ribbon tie and it also has the peek-a-boo at the bustline (1, 2, 3 and 6 all feature the neck tie + peek-a-boo combo).  I had several girls comment on the fact that they didn't like the peek a boo on the Dita cardigan or that it made them uncomfortable, I simply throw a black cami on under mine and I feel like it doesn't take away from anything, but makes me feel less self conscious.

Right: Martini Cardigan by Voodoo Vixen: For $35 on Amazon you can buy this teal cardigan with little embroidered martinis! Ok, so it doesn't look anything like the Dita cardigan, but it's a damn cute cardigan and I love mine just as much as I love my Dita Cardigan.  It's fitted, flattering and not a plain cardigan you could pick up anywhere.  I look at mine as more of a top than the kind of sweater you'd wear over something, but either works!

Down the Rabbit Hole:

For those of you who saw it on my Instagram, I'll briefly mention, if you jump down the rabbit hole and dig the internet deep enough, you can obtain a "replica cardigan".  I don't feel comfortable providing a link to a cardigan that could be deemed a knock off because I honestly didn't realize it was so similar until I received it.  It is poor quality (made of a thin, t-shirt material) and instead of having embroidery, it is screen printed.  I would probably buy a cardigan from this source if they'd done ANYTHING AT ALL to try to make it dissimilar from the Dita Cardigan.  I'm sorry to those of you who are let down by my choice not to share the link, but hope you understand why I made the decision.

Lets get a discussion going! Which is your favorite? Do you have any other awesome alternatives? Post links, pictures and whatever else below, we'd love to see!

30 comments:

  1. As a vintage loving lady on a major budget, this is yet another stellar post from your blog that I could just hug you for. Thank you very, very much for putting it together!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I actually like some of the cheaper options better than the original cardigan (and have been eyeing the martini one for a while now!).


    Cheers!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, as someone attending law school... Please, please educate yourself on the lack of copyrights which apply to fashion industry and international production. If you view fashion as an art form, you would not advocate buying products in which the designer will never be compensated for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, two designers you promote- Laura Byrnes and Bernie Dexter have extensively posted on their inability to stop their own designs from being reproduced and sold from China. You sort of have to pick sides here. It's a question of morals, not a shopping bargain. Want a Dita cardigan and can't afford it? Buy a used one. But do not advocate stealing someone's livelihood for a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just going to say for the record that I don't think you're promoting the Dita knockoff. If I could afford a $200 Dita cardigan, I would buy one, not the $25 version that won't come close to comparing in quality purely because it's cheaper. However, seeing as I can't afford a $200 cardigan, and I've yet to find any second hand ones, I do appreciate your post with other options. I love "Looks for Less" posts, and I feel that this is exactly what this entire post is. I'm not attempting an argument with anyone else's opinions. I'm just also stating mine, and that I, like many other girls on a budget out there, appreciate you posting this, even with the anxiety it caused you.

    :)

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh come on- the cardigans she posted aren't even "knock off" they are just cardigans with designs on them! The cardigan existed long before they made the "dita" cardi. A lot of hubbub over nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will admit I went in and removed a photo of the replica cardigan after this was posted. I'm trying to ride the line of pleasing our readers and our sponsors and affiliates, I think this person was just sort of playing devils advocate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, but for someone who feels guilty about not posting where you got the replica dita cardigan, you sure had no shame asking someone else where they got it, to get one for yourself . If you really felt bad about promoting this knock off, then you wouldn't have bought one yourself. What a hypocrite....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I love all the voodoo vixen cardigans

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, and I'm really glad you decided to write it. None of the cardigans you've posted are "knock offs," in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned, fashion is often extremely derivative, and this is especially true when you're talking about retro reproductions! Chances are that ALL of the brands in question were influenced by earlier sources and products, so I see nothing wrong in highlighting these reputable brands just because they share certain characteristics. I certainly appreciated this post, since I will never be able to justify spending nearly $200 on a cardigan, regardless of its superior quality. Thanks for this post, lady, and keep it up!

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cardigans you have shared are just generic cardigans I wouldnt think they were replicas at all! So dont worry about promoting them..youre doing the small companies a favour...companies only charge so much money because they have built themselves up..youre helping the smaller companies out! And for someone who loves pin up and vintage fashion but cant afford it (especially as most brands are American and charge almost the same in packaging) I cant afford a $200 cardigan with an almost similar shipping fee) youre doing me a massive favour! The voodou vixens collection is beautiful too, indulging here we come! Love your blog, please keep up with the pin up on a budget tips! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful post Amanda! I love how you gave alternatives for the more budget savvy pinup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I particularly love 3 and 6. The Dita cardigan is gorgeous, but I'm definitely in the camp that it's just way too expensive. I really appreciate the other options you offer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you've done a good job with these choices - they don't look like the Dita cardigan, but they have the same kind of "feel", if you know what I mean! ^___^ I especially love the pineapple cardigan, it's so cute and I'm totally obsessed with fruity designs at the moment ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much, Jessica! Your comments seriously hold a special place in my heart! I feel like if you love it, I'm doing something right. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, ma'am! I'm so glad to see you made your way here to read it! I was so happy for all the participation in "the group" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much, Jennifer! That martini one is seriously amazing! If you buy it and want is reasonably fitted, you might want to consider sizing down ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all cardigans ever. I have an addiction, I should probably scale it back a bit hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jana,
    Thank you so much for reading this... twice and for listening to me vent my ridiculousness all day, you are seriously AMAZING. On another note, I have YET to see a secondhand Dita cardigan end on eBay for anything less than $150 by the time shipping is said and done with, it's actually rather sad. I think what makes the secondhand one retain value is that the colorways exist for ONE SEASON and then never come back, you know? I really appreciate your opinion and we will totally be continuing this line of posts, it's helpful to too many of our readers not to. <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, Sammi! I value your feedback so much, you probably would've gotten a frantic fabceook message form me, but I decided to let you enjoy your vacation haha. I thin the most interesting thing about the "retro reproduction" movement is that they are RETRO REPRODUCTIONS, someone did it first, 60 years ago! haha the entire concept of this movement of clothing is that it is mimicking another time. So peculiar! But we will definitely be continuing this series, hopefully with less anxiety and negativity from an anonymous person whose comments I decided to delete haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much, Ashley! We will definitely be continuing this line of posts! So if you or anyone else reading this has something they'd love to see, let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much! 6 is currently my number one wishlist item, I mean yellow AND pineapples? That basically makes for a perfect cardigan haha. I'm glad I can help ladies seeking cuter, more inexpensive cardigans find forums to purchase them from. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Allie,
    We absolutely love the companies we've included in this post and we think you'll be seeing a couple of them in particular in our upcoming Designer Spotlight Saturday series. ; ) I know how expensive vintage AND reproductions alike can be, so I love being able to give people alternatives! You are probably well versed in UK brands, but let me know if you every need a list of UK or AU brands, we've planning on working with a few and I wouldn't mind sharing them early ; ) Any pinup on a budget pieces you'd like to see in the future, specifically?


    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lisa,
    Thank you so much! I definitely agree with your comment about the "feel", it's the exact reason I chose these, I feel like they stylistically convey the same message : ) I agree though, the pineapple cardigan is AMAZING it is actually my potential next cardigan purchase! If you're currently addicted to fruity things, you should check out Luxulite on Etsy, she makes fruity brooches! She may be out of them currently, she sells through them quickly, but she's doing 10% off right now and she's AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am really, really glad you decided to do this post, addressing both the issues of true "knock offs" and alternatives. None of the cardigans you posted about here I think could be construed as knock offs- just 1950s retro looking, which is a look all your readers are into :)


    The pineapple one is my favorite by the way. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another alternative, for style and not price, is Alannah Hill. She has amazing cardigans, but the cost is similar to the Dita.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oohh that would be fantastic if you could name some more UK brands for me! Im only really aware of Collectif, Banned and Iron Fist..theyre sold in alternative shops which there aren't a lot of in Liverpool! I dont mind ordering online but prefer to try in store x if you could do a post on your hair accessories that would be fantastic, theyre so beautiful ! Love how youre sharing all your ideas and tips. Thank you so much! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your cardigans! Also you have an amazing style! You are inspiring! :)


    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. i am drooling over that martini cardigan! it's not even normally my style but i am just totally obsesses with it now!

    ReplyDelete