The Bigger the Beehive the Better: A Tutorial by Amelia

Monday, March 24, 2014

When it comes to doing my hair I only a few hairstyles that I generally stick to for a few reasons.  The first reason is that I'm lazy..like really lazy.  In the morning I prefer to sleep so any hair style that takes longer than 10 minutes is out of the question for me.  The second reason is I am awful at doing hair, and I don't know if it's because my hair is course and hard to manage or my hands just don't know what to do.  One hairstyle that I love doing (and a few ladies have requested a tutorial on) is my signature beehive.  I say it's my signature, because I mostly want to be Brigitte Bardot or Amy Winehouse.

I wanted to feature this tutorial, because I know there are other little ladies out there who want a quick, easy retro inspired hairstyle.

The first step is to section out your hair. I get a small top layer so I still have plenty of hair left hanging down, but that's simply my personal preference! Plenty gals rock the full beehive, but I prefer half up half down.  After sectioning my hair off I tease, tease, tease TEASE.  You'll basically tease your hair until you look like a crazy person.  The second picture shows my crazy hair...and that's not even the biggest it can get.


After you tease your hair it'll look a little matted up and gross, but don't worry that will be fixed! After teasing your hair to your desired height you'll take pins and pin up some of the hair for added security.  Honestly, by the time you've teased it to this height it'll probably stay up on its own.  After securing your hair take a bristle teasing brush and lightly go over the beehive so that way it gets smoothed out.

After you smooth down your hair inspect it to make sure it's exactly how you want it and then secure it even more with a blast of hairspray.  I do this, because I need my hair to be wind/roller coaster/godzilla proof.  I don't want it to move!  DONE!  In just a few minutes you'll have an amazing hair style that is retro and indestructible! I hope y'all find this hair tutorial helpful, and let me know if you plan on rocking a beehive soon! 
What is your go-to hair style? 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love a good beehive! There's something so fun about it! My go-to hairstyle is a 1920's bob. Prior to that I had a short purple pixie cut for years. No hairdryer needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pigtails are my go-to buuut I'm looking for a change since I'll be graduating college soon and pigtails aren't exactly the epitome of professional haha!


    Thanks for the tutorial! I was, coincidentally, looking for a good beehive tutorial yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! My go-to is just curls. I put my hair in foam rollers the night before and then sleep on them so I can quickly brush them out in the morning. Super easy! (Though I frequently do a beehive/50s up-do, as well, using twisty pins. Mostly on the days the curls don't cooperate!) Thanks for the tutorial!


    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to do this sort of hairstyle, but for some reason felt like I wouldn't be able to do it. But you make it look so easy! I guess I'm also nervous about teasing because of some tragic hair mishaps when i was little...lol. But I'm sure it'd be fine now. Any tips for this kind of style with shorter hair? Do you think it'd look alright?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post lovely! I'm regretting cutting 2 inches of my hair now after seeing your pretty long hair! :/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks soo pretty, and I'm also obsessed with this dress you're wearing! After having my hair done with teasing brushes for a couple of shows, they're my best friend for even slightly retro hair!


    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool howto! Your hair is all kinds of awesome, Amelia! I've been smitten by it (length, colour, and styles) since the first time I saw you online.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, how cute are you?! Such a beautiful woman (the both of you are, to be honest)! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a pretty look! I need to get my bobby pins out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! You're so cute. Totally going to try this thank you xx

    ReplyDelete