Closet Essentials: Amelia's Throwing a Cardi Party

Monday, March 17, 2014

Everyday when I get dressed and ready I have a check list in my head that I go through before walking out there door. Flower in my hair? Check. Petticoat on? Check. Shoes..don't forget your shoes Amelia..Check. Engagement ring? Check. Cardigan? CHECK.

I have always had a love for cardigans, but that does not always mean that I have worn cardigans that have flattered my style and figure.  Cardigans, much like most accessories, have so many different styles and fits that the type of cardigan you wear can definitely change the way an outfit looks.  That being said, I'm going to tell you about the things that I look for in a cardigan!

Most of the time when I wear cardigans it's for two purposes: appearance and an added layer.  I"m ALWAYS cold so this added layer, although not thick, helps a little bit.

My personal preference is for cardigans to be fitted. I'm a huge fan of layers, but I think that sometimes slouchy cardigans can look frumpy, which is a look I am not too fond of.  By wearing fitted cardigans I added a layer, but I still look well put together.

I've recently started wearing 3/4 length sleeve cardigans!  Before, I hated this length, because I have long arms, but I've recently grown to love this length.

I like to style my cardigans in a few different ways.  One way is by wearing the cardigan as a top, and tucking it into my circle skirts (which are also a closet essential for me).  I love how put together his looks, plus it's pretty effortless.  My favorite cardi's for this type of outfit are one's that are printed in some way; whether it be polka dots, stripes or a novelty print.

Another way that I love to rock cardigans is by pairing them with a dress. I don't own as large of a wardrobe as many people may think, and one way that I 'fake' it is by using cardigans to create different looks.  By buttoning a cardigan and wearing it over a dress it creates the illusion that I have another circle skirt! This is just another reason why cardigans are so versatile, and so awesome!

I'm sure at this point it is no surprise that I love colour!  I say often that I dress less 1950s and more like an art teacher.  I can't help it I'm just drawn to crazy prints and colors!  This mint cardigan is one my favorites, because a lot of my dresses do feature the mint color. Styling this outfit also shows a much more simplified way of wearing a cardigan. You don't necessarily need to wear a cardigan in place of a top they can add pop of colour to an already great outfit!

Now that I've told you what I like and look for in a cardigan, I'll show you why I prefer this style!  The left cardigan is a slouchy cardigan, and in my opinion it does nothing to make the dress stand out.  I do love the stripes, but the shape of the cardigan is not very flattering.  The cardigan on the right is one of the fitted cardigans that I love so much.  The fitted style makes the dress stand out that much more.

Most of my cardigans are from Target, and I love them because they are a little bit longer and hit my right at my hips.  I do love the look of cropped cardigans, but I have such a long torso (like seriously, the longest torso) that cropped cardigans cut me off weirdly.

Cardigans are a closet essential for so many reasons, but mostly because they add a layer of warmth, colour and often pizzazz to my outfits.  I love that cardigans can really help 'make' an outfit, and that they can completely change the look of an outfit.

What is your favourite way to style a cardigan? 


11 comments:

  1. i just picked up a bunch of solid cardigans from ann taylor factory!!! such a wardrobe essential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer @ grimmricksenMarch 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

    I own 40+ cardigans -- it's a slight obsession. Almost all of them are from Target. I just can't help myself -- cardigans go with almost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friends call me Nanna Lu due to I am always wearing a cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need more cardigans all the time! My one work likes to keep things on the cooler side, so during the summer (or spring) I get so hot walking to work. But once I cool down I have to put something over my bare shoulders. I am glad I am not the only one who likes Target's cardigans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love 3/4 length sleeve ones, too! i used to be a fan of longer cardigans but i'm starting to love the shorter style now that i feel i need to actually look/feel "put together"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cardigans. Even if I am not wearing one I have one with me. Just in case. I have the opposite problem wih 3/4 sleeves. My arms are so short that they look like they almost should be long sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what's funny, I was just thinking the other day that I should do a blog post about my cardigans. They're every bit as important as my dresses but the dresses really hog the spotlight! I adore cardigans and wear them every day, even though the weather where I live is atrociously hot all the time. I often end up folding up the sleeves of my longer ones to about elbow-length because it helps keep me a little cooler.

    I don't have a HUGE cardigan collection, but its considered unnecessarily large given the climate here, and people often comment that I'm crazy to be wearing them, but I feel naked without one!

    Amber Jade
    Fairytales and Following Trails
    http://fairytalesandfollowingtrails.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy reading this blog! :) I think it's so great that you guys decided to go into the blog together. I admire both your styles so much. And just like you, i LOVEEE colour! Can't get enough of it.

    I completly agree with you about the fitted cardigans being so much better with dresses. And I love how that mint cardigan pairs with your rainbow spiral dress from Modcloth. (I'm actually wearing that dress right now!) And I like your idea of wearing them as a top, as well.

    ~Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  9. wardrobeexperienceMarch 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM

    i love to pair cardigans with flared skirts ... (hopefully i can wear them to my new work ... not just blazers ...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cardigans are an absolute must for me the whole year round. Seriously, whole year, it doesn't matter if it's +40C out there, if an outfit calls for one, I'm going to slip on a cardi. My collection is one of the largest numbers of any single type of garment I own and now tips the count at over 40, so there's rarely an ensemble I can'd coordinate one to. Like yourself, I tend to prefer them fitted and with 3/4 length or full length sleeves. I'm petite (barely 5'2") so I also prefer them on the shorter side, as one that hit below the waist rarely seem to do my figure any favours.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a total fitted cardigan and dress gal too! :)

    ReplyDelete