Boxing Day + June's Wheels & Dollbaby's Dita Von Teese Cardigan (coral) Review

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I'd been lusting after one of these lovely cardigans, which are a collaboration by Wheels & Dollbaby and burlesque beauty, Dita Von Teese, for quite some time.  I'd abandoned hope on being able to: 1) afford one 2) justify purchasing a $200 cardigan if I COULD afford it and 3) being able to compete in the crazy eBay auctions when one came around pre-loved... then came Boxing Day 2013.

Source
even though Boxing Day is celebrated in Australia, Britain, New Zealand, and Canada
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/boxingday.asp#bdS1GSB6MFRHSFfc.99
Even though Boxing Day is celebrated in Australia, Britain, New Zealand, and Canada most Americans have absolutely NO idea what it is, and neither did I.  Think of it as sort of mini-Black Friday.  I saw on Instagram that a few UK ladies had snagged some awesome stuff for a good discounts, so on a whim, I checked The Doll House when lo, and behold 50% off! And that is how Miss June obtained her Dita cardigan for under $100! Their international shipping is less than W&D, but your cardigan won't come in the armoire box like it will from W&D (hope you're not a sucker for packaging).  I received my cardigan fairly quickly.

THE FIT

I will be the first person to admit that I have rather extreme measurements 38-26-36. While I have a rather small waist, I am unfortunately, really well-endowed.  Therefore, I order everything to cater to my bust which, according to their size chart, was a size 12.  Sadly that also meant the cardigan was 5 inches too large for my waist (ANNOYING but totally not their fault. Thanks, genetics!)  I found that the cardigan was stretchy enough / my bust took up enough space, where it fit nice + snug and was not baggy or unflattering in the waist, even given the extra 5 inches. For reference, all I wear under the cardigan is a bra and my corset + corset liner.

Source

THE DEETS

The cardigan is lovely quality and the material is thicker than I expected, in a good way.  Satin ribbon lines the cuffs + collar and there is a velvet ribbon at the neck to tie a little bow with. The buttons are velvet-covered and there's rose embroidery on the front of the cardigan and on the back shoulders.  This embroidery is not itchy or uncomfortable on the inside. I would also like to say as a sidenote, when a designer wears her own clothing and doesn't use it solely as additional income / publicity, that's pretty awesome, and Dita is one of those people!



THE COST

Is this cardigan worth $190?
Complicated question.  To be totally honest... maybe 5% of the time do I pay full price for anything. I LOVE this cardigan but I could suck it up and watch the color ways come + go if I had to.  While it is a unique, lovely-quality item made in collaboration with one of my biggest style influences, I wouldn't have purchased the cardigan had it not been on sale.  If you're the kind of person that buys a few, semi-expensive staple separates a year to mix-and-match, this is for you, totally worth it. If, like me, you can go a month and not wear everything in your closet more than once... it don't think I'd advise paying full price.


Source

NEW 2014 COLORWAYS

That being said, with these cardigans, the color ways come and go and basically become "retired."  Occasionally, but rarely, they will re-release a color but if you REALLY fall in love with one, I advise that you find a way to snatch it up, you might not see it again.  Wheels & Dollbaby announced their newest color ways two weeks ago: Floss Pink, Belle Blue and Wine Red. I'm personally crossing my fingers that I'll eventually obtain a Belle Blue!  They've started pre-orders and have apparently begun to fulfill them.




Shown here: Dita Cardigan by Wheels & Dollbaby, Black Jenny Skirt by Pinup Girl Clothing,
Hell Bunny Short Petticoat via Modcloth and Hindi Black Heels by BAIT Footwear.

33 comments:

  1. Fabulous cardigan! I have been coveting the red version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cardigan on you!! I wish I could justify paying that much for the cardigan - even though I totally love the pink one! I know I would probably treasure it too much to wear it more than once or twice a year (if that). It's the hoarder in me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh these cardigans are so beautiful. I could never justify spending that much on a sweater, as gorgeous as it is, but it looks like it was made for you! Also, your measurements pretttttyy much make you perfect.

    xox Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice post! I looked at tons of this type of review before I bought mine. I'd so much rather have one of these cardigans than 5 cheap ones, I wear it every chance I get and the quality is unbeatable. Even though I too got mine discounted, I can't but help feel pretty insulted every time I see someone say that they "couldn't justify spending the money." It's almost like they're insinuating that anyone that does own one is frivolous with their (hard-earned) money or lacks judgement. Ya it's a lot for an item of clothing but everyone prioritizes differently and that comment always comes off condescending to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a lot of reviews too, especially trying to get information about sizing and quality! The thought that someone could tell me that I'm spending my money frivolously really resonates with me. I think a comment like that can most definitely be condescending, but please don't think I meant it that way. I made that comment personally because a lot of my blog readers are aware of the fact that I have student loans and attend law school, so I really couldn't justify, personally, spending that much money on one clothing item. But, I'll admit I've definitely come close before. Most of my friends that own one of these DID pay full price for theirs, and that decision doesn't seem to be frivolous, or one lacking judgement to me at all. To each their own! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Dita Cardigan! It looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no I never meant it to be directed at you! I mentioned that because that seems to be the reaction I usually get from people about it and I was wondering if it bothered you as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reviews. I don't think enough people do them. I didn't even know that Dita Von Teese had these cardigans. Although they are cute, I think they are too expensive (I don't love them THAT much, and therefore I know I wouldn't wear it as much as other items)


    And I feel you on the bust vs waist vs hips thing. I have the exact same measurements. Maybe the bust is different, been awhile since I measured it. XD I never button my cardigans, and if I do they are saggy ones. I do love how this cardigan is made to leave unbuttoned, so it worked out perfectly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Picks self off floor after repeatedly fainting after seeing all the sublime awesomeness in this review post!* Seriously though, my heart did skip a beat or two for sure! It's fabulous that you were able to snag not multiple Dita cardigans during a Boxing Day sale - way to holiday shop! Even at 50%, they're still miles beyond my average budget, so I'll just have to continue to daydream from afar, getting my Dita cardi fix from fabulous posts like this one.


    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! The red one is lovely, I can't blame you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh trust me, when I wear mine I feel like I need to wrap myself in plastic wrap to protect it! haha. I want the peach one, but I strongly doubt I'll get this lucky again! We can both hope we'll get one/another! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe one day you'll get lucky and find yourself one as well! And thank you, I really good confident and comfortable in it... which I never feel like in anything. And my measurements make me feel lopsided haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OHHH haha well I've never gotten it about my cardigan (actually come to think of it I did have a girl say something on my IG) but I think people think it of me as a generalization... and I just want to yell at everyone that I don't pay full price like... EVER haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww well thank you ma'am! I always think that about how amazing you look in Sailor Jerry : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. We plan on doing a series of popular brand reviews starting this Saturday! I'm hoping the series goes over well! : ) I agree, I would love to see more bloggers doing the review side of fashion posts!


    And these measurements sure can be a nuisance! I wish all the time that I could shrink my bust at least a cup size! haha. But thank you, I was happy to finally find a cardigan that didn't fit odd in one place or another!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww well thank you so much! To be honest, it's QUITE above my budget as well for separates, even with the discount, but I'd been lusting after it a little too long and I let myself slip! haha. And aww well maybe one day the sale gods will grave you with something even better and you'll end up with one as well : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad I am not alone. I would complain and my friends would chime in and say how fun big chests are! Which is true- sometimes. Sometimes I wish I was flat as a board and could button my blouses. XD

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's the embroidery and velvet trim that makes my heart sing! I wanted to let you know that due to your fabulous B.A.I.T. collection, I've bought the Iona in Black and Ida in Green! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO BEAUTIFUL. JEALOUS. It looks like an amazing fit. Totally get you having to cater to your bust size. So done with the extra fabric at the waist!! haha

    Sales are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exactly! I love anything with a little pizazz! haha. And OH! That's so exciting! You'll have to let me know how you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh trust me, I wish that ALL THE TIME. The grass is most definitely always greener on the other side but I've definitely been wishing for a smaller chest during all my wedding dress shopping lately especially.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hahaha it was more than I wanted to ever spend on a cardigan even on sale... but I totally went for it... I'm glad I did. But I like to pretend I didn't pay that much for one sweater! haha. Feel free to live vicariously through me + my cardigan allllll you want.


    And Dita looks amazing in everything, always, I totally envy that ability.


    And trust me, if i tried to do that, you'd end up looking like Pennywise the Clown, I am AWFUL at it. I reapply like a million times before leaving the house.


    And I would be happy to let you play in my closet sometime! : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exactly! And tightlacing only makes it worse! I wish things were easier to alter!

    Sales. Are. The. Best!
    <33333

    ReplyDelete
  24. THANK YOU for this review!! I am bound and determined I will have one, one way or another, and you gave me some idea about the sizing! I was not finding any info on that other than the size charts. I really like the new colourways, but honestly wished I'd pounced on the light pink. I am also really hoping for a mint or seafoam next year!!
    www.shermette.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Dita, this cardigan is beautiful
    I wish your waist :3

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm 100% with you on this one. I would never ever purchase this for full price. EVER. I could not justify $200 on a cardigan. I wouldn't even pay $100 for a cardigan. But I would pay $100 for this particular cardigan. I have never seen one as beautiful as this. I don't like the idea of paying that much but I know it won't get any cheaper than that.

    Oh man I wish I knew about this on Boxing Day. I'm a Kiwi so I'm well aware of the crazy sales on this day. Never thought anyone would do 50% off for this cardigan though. I'll have to keep this in mind for the next Boxing Day and keep looking at eBay until then. Thanks for the amazing awesome tip!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm doing the same thing, lurking eBay until next Boxing Day, but just as a tip, I didn't buy it from the W+D website, it was from the one I mentioned call The Dollhouse, so remember to look there! : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. I desperately wish I could find some second-hand! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Do you ever lurk eBay? I actually think there's a coral one on there now. <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. I scored a peach one recently! Together with my wine red and my floss pink, that makes three. I am hunting them like mad on eBay though.. they're so expensive but they're too beautiful to resist! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Marina MastrangeloAugust 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM

    Hi mama! It's Marina (@bygoneeravintage). I need sizing help with this cardigan and I want your honest opinion on whether I should do the 8 or 10. I'm a 36 bust with a 26 waist I really want that tight, voluptuous fit. Could you post the stretched and unstretched measurements of yours? Thanks lady! xoxoxoxox (I still have to make you and Katie's hats and flowers...don't think i forgot!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my god I want a peach or light pink one SO BADLY! If you ever come across a UK10 or UK12 let me know ; )

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd definitely do the 10. I actually buy a 12 because of my bust but most recently, I've sized down to a 10 and been really happy with the fit! Sorry, I'm in class and don't have it handy to post measurements. If you still need them, let me know xoxo

    ReplyDelete