Guest Junebug Jana:
How to Style Swing Dresses with Tights

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Jana, from Small Town, BIG SMILE! When June & Amelia approached me to do a guest post, I was flattered. I’ve been following these two stylish gals on Instagram for some time now, swooning over their impeccable vintage style.  When they decided to start a blog, I was so excited to get to know them in more than just a ‘photo’ post, as is Instagram.  Thanks to June, I’ve become acquainted, and quickly addicted, to Bernie Dexter dresses.  This is the inspiration of my post today.


My go-to look with all of my Bernie Dexter dresses is either bare-leg, or seam-back pantyhose.  I think this keeps the style of the dress very classic and true-to-vintage styled. Especially with the back-seam.  While on some cold days I’ve actually gone to the extreme of doubling up and wearing two pairs of pantyhose, it’s not always the most practical option (or the most comfortable).



On the colder days, I turn to tights. I begin my winter styling by looking in my tights-drawer (which is actually a vintage storage box for a record player) for some complimentary colour options.  Once I have those selected, I narrow it down by which I think will look best with the colour-scheme.  In this instance, because the dress is so colourful and patterned, I chose to exclude the more colourful options of the red or mustard.  The red may actually go very nicely with a cardigan button overtop of the dress, but that’s for another day.

The dilemma I run into with full-circle skirts is that they can feel visually heavy when paired with dark tights.  A way to balance this is to wear a higher heeled shoe, or to throw a cardigan on the top that matches the tights.  This also gives the outfit a more casual feel.


While black can seem like the logical, neutral option, in this instance, I personally find it gives that ‘heavy’ feel that I mentioned… Also, because there’s no black in the dress, it tends to stand out quite and not really compliment the dress. For this reason, I prefer the brown. It blends better with the dress, and keeps the focus on the dress itself.


I hope this post helps to eliminate lots of trial-and-error of attempting to wear these swing dresses in the winter! I definitely would have found a post like this handy when I first started to wear them, so I’m hoping you will too.

Smiles,

Jana

Shop the look here:

14 comments:

  1. I love that dress and your tights collection is wonderful! I'm Canadian and tights are a fashion must for me in the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah I'm also Canadian! So tights aren't an option, they're a staple! I wear them year round, because our office air conditioning is SO cold in the summer!

      Delete
  2. Your tights collection looks quite a bit like mine Jana. Living in Utah means that dresses & skirts just aren't practical from November through February/March unless you pair them with tights, so I've got quite the collection (although I need to invest in new seamed stockings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seamed stockings are my obsession this winter! I actually purchased 2 pairs right off the bat, thinking I'd have an immediate back-up if the first pair got a hole. They are so perfect with swing-dresses!

      Delete
  3. I am a big fan of Jana's blog and her style. In my view, you couldn't have a better person to discuss dress-tights combinations - she has such beautiful things and mixes up styles and colours in ways I would never think of. I am so pleased she showed her seamed tights - a fave for me because they always seem to add class, elegance and something a little extra! Love, Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Karen! As always, you're so sweet! :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderfully lovely guest post, Jana. I completely agree with you about opting for brown tights here. They would have been my first choice, followed by (if I had any) perhaps pale blue, though there would be a risk with such an eye-catching hue that they'd overpower the (fab) dress itself and unintentionally become the star of the show. Brown for the win there indeed! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would've thought pale blue, but now that you say it, I think it would be such a fun pairing! I'm still on the hunt for the perfect pale blue and mint green actually.

      :)

      Delete
  5. love everything! great photos :D

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these kind of posts- it's so fun to see how to move summer pieces into winter. and i LOVE those first tights with the lines going up the back. it's so pin-up-y!

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jana is so sweet and she has one of the prettiest retro styles around (as do both of you gals!). I am seriously in awe of her dress collection and cannot wait to break out more of my vintage/retro style dress once the weather gets warm again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks jana, great geust post!
    i hate winter for the struggle with tights and colours ... it makes getting dressed so nerving. i have tons of tights ... especially a lot of different shades of brown and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look super cute!! I just bought this same fabric, I'm making an apron with it!

    ReplyDelete