June's Little Home:
Our Mid Century Morbid Living Room Tour

Sunday, January 5, 2014


Because I'm spending a lazy Sunday sitting on the couch (pictured above), I thought I would write a little bit about this space because it's my favorite in our home.  I'd been planning my future living room for months when we started looking at houses and had been touring houses with that in mind, so when Collin and I found our home, I was ecstatic that it had a lot of what I wanted.  Upon moving in, the biggest problem we encountered was that we're both collectors of different things, so we couldn't decide what would go IN the living room without making it look like a cluttered nightmare.  After much debate and deciding that there was no way we could fit all of Collin's records and all of my books in one room we compromised: my books + his taxidermy. (Everyone say hi to my little Lady Thackery Binx peering 'round the corner!)

Instead of moving our old furniture, we sold a lot of it on Craigslist and almost broke even with what we got for it after buying the new furniture, which is awesome!  When people come visit, they always comment on how lucky we are that we have built-in bookshelves, but we actually ordered three of the same bookshelf from Target.com to store my books + knickknacks.  We just assembled them ourselves and anchored them to the wall.  Instead of moving our old couch, we sold it and found an amazing deal on the retro-esque green tufted one pictured and believe it or not, it's ACTUALLY comfortable (I sadly had to get rid of a vintage one in the move because Collin said it felt like sitting in a pit of despair).  We hunted down a new coffee table on Overstock to fit the decor and then to personalize the room a little, we decided we would each get our own chair, to be picked with no criticism/input from the other (this was hard because some of the chairs Collin liked... oh my).  After a little hunting, I chose an Eames rocker and Collin chose an orange leather recliner that I like to call "the Nickelodeon chair".


We didn't put the records in the room, but of course we still put a turntable in.  Collin picked this little teal cabinet from Target and we just bring records back and forth from the room that we keep them in (until they pile up all over the coffee table and have to be re-shelved, oops!).  To add something to that huge empty wall, Collin added a few of our not-so-alive pets: Edgar, horns, Archibald, Barnabas and Penelope.  Koa got stuck over by the prints I got Collin as a surprise from Parlor Tattoo Prints (they were more of the beginning of a series of bribes to convince him to move to Nashville from Atlanta but that's another story.) 

 Retrospectively, I think the most important decision we made was deciding against putting a TV in this room.  We wanted a room where we could have visitors and people could interact without that distraction.  We have one in our den, but not putting in our living room has been one of my favorite decisions (especially because the space gained by deciding against one leaves room for more books and knick knacks! Yessss!)

What have you done to personalize your living room?  Do you have any questions about where we got anything? I'd love to hear from you!

12 comments:

  1. I love your guy's living room! It meshes the two styles together extremely well. I'm super jealous, to say the least! :D

    My fiance and I just moved in to our first house, and it's such a mess of hand me downs mixed in with our personal collection. Our living room, my favorite room, just needs a new couch and it's done! We picked up this stellar set of antlers for the wall at an antique mall. We have two large bookshelves (we need more, we're out of space!)- one for my books and comics and the other for blu rays and action figures. There's a lightsaber between the two. We also have two resin skulls and a preserved pig's heart on one bookshelf. We have a smaller bookshelf for our turntable, records, and some more collectible/figures/etc. Above that is a Rapture poster from Bioshock and a painted skull on a slab of wood. Hopefully it'll all come together soon with some new furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww well thank you so much! Trust me, it meshes way better this way than with Collin's other collections, which are records, horror movie action figures and Vinylmation/vinyl toys. haha.

      That sounds absolutely adorable! Have you thought about what sort of couch you want? A lot of our taxidermy is from antique malls as well, such good places to find accent pieces! I was using 2 Expedit bookshelves from Ikea to store books before and am so glad I made the switch because the ones we have now hold so much more stuff! We also have a preserved pigs heart in a bell jar (Collin gave it to me for my birthday) and people think it's so weird haha. You living room sounds absolutely adorable! I would love it see it!

      Delete
  2. mid century morbid— i love it! it looks so magical and cozy in there. it's a shame so many vintage couches are a pit of despair but awesome that y'all found a good one! Nick and I are the opposite of collectors so it's always fun to peep into homes so different from us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought of the name after I posted and went back to change it because I decided I liked it. ;) The room really is quite cozy, I think its because it's an old house so it has HUGE windows, which I love. And it really is a bummer that old couches don't wear and tear a little better because we're now looking for one for our "den" and it's not a very fun hunt.

      Oh, I know what you mean! Sometimes I wish we weren't such collectors because when I go into people's homes that look a little more clean/minimal/streamlined I feel like some sort of classy hoarder haha.

      Delete
  3. I love your libraries. We're trying to find vintage libraries for our 'study' (which is a work in progress). We also have a few of the Parlor Tattoo Prints, they're going up our stairs, and I'm dying for more.
    As for Collin's 'morbid' style, Dominic has a 'motorcyle' style, so we try to mesh my girly-vintageness with his motorcyles. It takes a bit of effort, but we always find a way to make them work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after hunting for bookshelves for weeks, I would personally recommend anything from Ikea or Target (because you can get a Target debit card (not a credit card) and get 5% AND free shipping to your house, even for furniture!) Every time a new set of prints comes out, Collin wants to buy them and I remind him that we only have so much wall space haha. I wish we had stairs! Such a good way to display art!

      Haha see, I feel like we have equal amounts of challenge as far as decor is concerned, but "motorcycle style" is probably a little more difficult, but it sounds like it could be really cute together! Especially classic motorcycle things! I mean, vintage oil cans/parts packaging, etc. are adorable! I bet it's made you a truly skilled decorator. <3

      Delete
  4. Welcome to town, and I'm glad y'all got in touch! I love your macabre cabinet of curiosities and the peachy-pink paint color. Do you know the name of the color? It's crazy-similar to the one my husband and I put on our bedroom walls last weekend. Lovely choice!

    I added your button to my Nashville Bloggers page. Feel free to grab my button from my sidebar. And again, welcome to the Nash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much, living actually IN Nashville is a lot different than living 45 mins away from Nashville (where I went to college) because I almost never made it up here!

      And thank you, that cabinet is Collin's baby, he's managed to do a very good job of making creepy, classy. And I actually don't know the name of the color, because we lucked into it when we purchased our home, I was so relieved that I liked it and that we didn't have to change it. Great minds ;)

      I grabbed your button and added it to my sidebar! Thanks for responding and thanks again! Maybe we'll run into each other at an impromptu blogger meet-up!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely room! I have to say that I do really like Collin's orange chair :) It's nice to see how this room reflects both of you. We've just converted the dining room into a library over the holidays and it works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much! And you know, so do I, it gives the whole room a nice "pop" of color! And are there photos on your blog? I bet it looks amazing, I'd rather have a library than a dining room any day! :)

      Delete
  6. This room is adorable! I have loved seeing bits and pieces of it on IG. I love how well you have combined everything and made it look good. I am the worst at decorating. I could definitely use a few pointers. Also, when I do have me "forever home" I hope to not have a tv in the living room as weel :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHMYGOD YOU STARTED BLOGGING AGAIN! I went to email you literally YESTERDAY to see if you'd be interested in swapping buttons! You'll have to let me know if you're interested. :)

      And thank you! It took a lot of moving stuff around and in and out of the room but it looks alright! I love your decorating! Vinyl toys make everything better. All of ours finally got unpacked this weekend, it's scary, seriously. lol. And good choice! I totally recommend it, not against them entirely, just in that room!

      Delete