Closet Essentials: Circle Skirt Edition

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

details
top - (a Modcloth dress no longer in stock)
similar to this Mandie Bee Ella Top
shoes  - (older) Belk

If people asked me what one type of clothing I couldn't live without was... well I'd have a hard time answering. I have a few types of clothes that I consider Closet Essentials. I consider something a closet essential, when it becomes an item that I wear everyday (or almost everyday) no matter what the occasion is.  That being said, my first edition of Closet Essentials features: Circle Skirts.  One reason why I love circle skirts is because they create a lovely fit and flare shape that is associated with the 1950's.  Circle skirts are a favourite of mine for multiple reasons, and I'll explain why!



One thing I love about circle skirts is that they're long enough to wear to work, but they still look cute and not out-dated. I work in an office environment, so it was difficult finding a way to tweak my style to fit the slightly conservative environment. It's easy to keep my style consistent, because circle skirts allow me to dress modest at work.  Also, as you can see, they add a pop of color to outfits that otherwise can be a little plain. 




 Another thing that I love about circle skirts is that it's just as easy to dress them down!  One of my favourite looks is wearing t-shirts with circle skirts.  This is for multiple reasons, one I'm lazy, and two it gives me the ability to express myself.  This way I retain my love for band-t's but I still look put together.  This is one of the main benefits of circle skirts, in my opinion.  If I wore my Brand New t-shirt with jeans it may not look as put together, but I'm able to maintain my 1950's inspired style even if my t-shirt doesn't reflect that.
details:
t-shirt - Brand New show in Cincinnati, OH;
skirt - Essential Elegance Skirt in Black
shoes - Irene Pump in Red


Finally, not only are circle skirts an easy thing to wear to complement a top, but they also bring their own fun!  Whether it be modern circle skirts or vintage circle skirts they often come in a huge variety of patterns!  I love that I've been able to find numerous circle skirts with different novelty patterns ranging from atomic print to hieroglyphics to flowers; my circle skirts definitely have personality.  This makes getting ready not only easy, but incredibly fun!  It's great finding new things to complement my novelty printed skirts.
details:
top - similar to Scoop Neck Cami / Modcloth;
skirt Roses Are Radiant Skirt / Modcloth;
shoes - Irene Pump in Red / BAIT Footwear


details
top- (actually a bodysuit so it stays tucked in!)
My One and Only Bodysuit in Black c/o Modcloth
skirt - Sweet Ludie's Vintage in Augusta, GA
shoes - thrifted)

It's easy to just grab a circle skirt, and put it on and be ready for the day!  
Let me know your go-to closet essential!

 Shop the post below:

20 comments:

  1. circle skirts (dresses) rule!
    i wear them almost every day ... and they work for everything.
    ok, riding the bike can be tricky once in a while ... ;)

    lovely little blog. i can't wait to see more ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't ride a bike at all let alone in a skirt! You, my dear, deserve a medal! Ha <3

      Delete
  2. I don't own many skirts, but I definitely need full circle skirted-dresses! And lots of patterns! Pies, suitcases, polka dots, florals... patterns are just too fun.
    :)

    Jana
    www.janagodin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patterns are the best! Life would be super boring without awesome patterns. hah

      xo
      Katie

      Delete
  3. These outfits are so cute! I love the Roses Are Radiant Skirt. ModCloth has the cutest clothes! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Right? I wish I could just buy all of their clothes!

      xo
      Katie

      Delete
  4. Circle skirts are definitely a closet essential for me, too. I routinely wear both full and half circle skirts and have made them in everything from novelty print cotton, to twill, to corduroy! My Freddies of Pinewood jeans are turning into a closet essential for me, which is a bit surprising for an avid dress-wearer such as myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only heard insanely good things about Freddies of Pinewood jeans! Maybe, I'll have to transition some into my wardrobe too!

      xo
      Amelia

      Delete
  5. My wardrobe (as that's what we call them here in the UK!) essentials definitely include gathered skirts and cardigans. Plus tights in every colour and pattern, and I've started wearing a lot of blouses!!
    I love how you laid out this post - it looks like a magazine :)
    Lulu x http://candyappledarling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much darling! I definitely have an addiction to caridgans too!

      xo
      Amelia

      Delete
  6. You look fantastic in circle skirts. I'm loving your collection!

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, this is for both Amanda and Katie. I was just wondering, I know you both live in places that get fairly cold in the winter, so what sort of winter footwear do you utilize?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I simply just wear the same shoes. It doesn't get too cold in Georgia, and I limit my time outside to save my poor toes from the cold. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

      xo
      Amelia

      Delete
    2. To add, it gets a little colder here in Nashville, so on cold days I'll wear tights and stick a pair of flats or kitten heels in my bag, and then wear rain boots + socks over the tights when outside, I have pretty cute rainboots, so it's a temporary solution. haha.

      Delete
  8. I am a firm believer that a girl can never have too many skirts, flats, and cardigans! I have way too many of those in my staple colors: black, red, and pink. My wardrobe is pretty much only those colors which can be amazing and a curse at the same time.

    Also, can I just add how homesick for Georgia you gals make me? I've been living in Germany for almost three years due to the military and I miss Georgia so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those three things are my main addictions! I would be nowhere without my cardigans and flats as well. haha I love color so I don't have a lot of black in my closet, but oh man do I buy everything in red and pink. I'm a creature of habit. ha

      Aww, well I hate that we make you homesick, but hopefully you'll make it back to visit soon! I hope they're making you sweeet tea while in Germany!

      xo
      Amelia
      From one Georgia gal to another.

      Delete
  9. I love circle skirts! I've been trying to feminize my wardrobe ever since I realized I owned no skirts or dresses. Do you ladies wear petticoats under all of your skirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so versatile it's great!!

      We do! June actually just made post about it.

      xox
      Amelia

      Delete
  10. So cute! I love a circle skirt though i haven't worn a petticoat under a dress or skirt since I was a little girl. I might have to look into one.

    ReplyDelete