Tightlacing 101, Part I:
Modern June Cleaver's Opinions + Experiences

Friday, December 20, 2013

I would like to preface this ENTIRE post by saying these are my thoughts + opinions + experiences with tightlacing/corseting. I'm not a medical doctor. I'm not advising you to begin tightlacing and I'm not telling you that this process can’t hurt you, when done incorrectly, it absolutely can. Tightlacing is a lifestyle, not a hobby and it’s not something you do casually, it is a form of body modification. That being said…

Iced Coffee Polka Dot Circle Dress by Bettie Page Clothing
Trying to get informed about tightlacing/corseting can difficult, there's a lot of advice out there (largely conflicting) and I honestly don't know how much of it I do and don't believe even now that I've been tightlacing for over a year.  This is the first in a little mini-series about tightlacing/corseting (each post will probably have 2-3 things to consider) so I think I'll start with what it's like to wear a corset daily, so that anyone reading this who considering tightlacing, can use this post as food for thought before my next post, which will be about choosing a corset.
  • Wearing a corset isn't easy. While eventually you’ll get used to the process, putting on a corset every morning is a little time consuming at first. Lacing yourself in is a little difficult, I get asked all the time by beginners how I manage to lace myself in without help and all I can say is it was a process of trial and error.  The morning routine is something I wouldn’t advise rushing, it's not easy to wear a corset all day even when laced-in properly (it’s kind of uncomfortable, especially if you're "well endowed"/busty) but lacing yourself in too tightly will prove to be a little excruciating after a few hours and can cause headaches.  Random lesson learned, driving is also slightly tedious when laced-in, as you can't curve back into the seat because you're forced to sit totally upright. If you drive a stick like I do or ride a bike, go ahead and prepare for things to be a lot different than what you’re used to. 
  • Eating is kind of rough, your eating habits have to change as you will be forced to eat more frequently and smaller portion sizes, as your food intake in one sitting is limited. The first time you make a mistake with this you’ll know, because it feels like everything is trying to work itself back up... and it honestly might (I think anyone reading this who has already started tightlacing can vouch for me on this one.) Basically, you’ll have to politely excuse yourself and hurry off to the bathroom to loosen your corset. 
While I personally feel like this post might be a little short, I didn't want to overwhelm you ladies with information.  Please let me know if you have any questions about anything related to corseting (I will be posting about where I buy my corsets and the selection process next time.)

I would love feedback so I know what to incorporate to make these as helpful and informative as possible.

13 comments:

  1. Its funny I just happen to accidentally click on a corset lacing video on youtube the other day and I ended up watching a bunch of them for over an hour. It's very interesting, I don't think id ever get into doing it daily (to modify my body) but it would be nice to get a really nice one to wear with my nicer dresses. Keep these posts coming, I've super interested. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched SO many videos before I made the decision to start myself. The only problem with only wearing them sometimes is that to get a corset to look good under clothing you have to season (break it in) first and to do that, you have to wear them daily. What I tell my friends who aren't so sure is to get a really nice waist cincher! Not as dramatic of an effect but also but body altering haha.

      Delete
  2. Great post my dear and such good advice! Keep them coming as I find it So interesting! :)

    Lulu xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you find it interesting! I'll make sure to keep them coming in hopes that people will actually read haha.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read more of your posts about tight lacing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've really been toying with "how much is too much" with these posts, I know the general reader probably isn't looking for it, but I'd say look out for it in the next post or two because I love sharing about it. <3

      Delete
  4. Yay! I love hearing about it! May I ask, where did you purchase your white/cream corset? Is it one of Lucy's or a different brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All 3 of my corsets are white/cream haha so they don't show through my clothing. But none of my corsets are actually FROM Lucy, I have a terrible cheap one from CorsetStory, an amazing twill one from Meschantes Corsetry and a Morticia corset by WhatKatieDId. <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you, doll!

      Delete
  5. Great tips! It always makes me nervous because even a lot of the vintage dresses I wear can be so tight that I have trouble breathing- I've had some friends say I looked about ready to pass out a few times! The things we do for vintage- haha! New follower! Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And so many of my vintage dresses are like that as well, but of course I zip myself right up in those things because I would never give up one of my dresses. Sadly, those are the sorts of things I CAN'T wear a corset with. haha. Vintage is the only thing I would do it for!

      And thanks for stopping by! Your blog is absolutely adorable and your outfit posts are phenomenal, such beautiful photography! Had to subscribe! If you're even up for a button trade, you'll have to let us know. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hey love this post- just a question, if you wear a wiggle dress, how do you manage to hide the laces at the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady! I usually tuck the laces into the lacing and double know them as opposed to tying them in a bow like I normally do, which helps reduce the huge bump they can leave or I wear tights or spanks to help cover them if they're REALLY showing. Another option is to tie them in front (which I would never ever recommend on a regular basis because it causes your corset to wear faster) but for a single night, it should be ok. That way you can double knot them, and tuck the slack in somewhere. I sort of fiddle with all of these options until I've managed to hide them as best I can. xoxo

      Delete