Ginger by Choice: Tips and Products

Monday, December 23, 2013

After having red hair for over 6 years I am always asked how I keep my hair healthy and vibrant.  As we all know, red hair is neither cheap nor easy to upkeep, but I have a few key products that aren’t too pricey and keep my locks looking luscious.   I have to say that I am not a cosmetologist so I can only say that these products have worked for me.  Another thing that I always do to keep my hair vibrant longer is avoid washing it.  I buy every dry-shampoo I can find to find the best one on the market, and I am definitely a dry-shampoo enthusiast (ask for my favorites if you want :).)   Over the years I've had red hair that ranges from agent orange to violet red, and almost every color in between.  My go to red however is a nice in between, not too dark not too light (as pictured below).


The next four products are my go-to products!  When my hair needs a little color boost and some shine I instantly go to these products.  So if you're in the need of hair therapy I suggest these products:  

1.  Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor:  Once on my quest for orange hair I fried my hair off.  It would crumble in my hand, and this reconstructor saved my hair.  I swear by this reconstructor, and it smells like oatmeal cookies which is a plus!  After bleaching my ends I make sure to leave this on for 10-15 minutes, and then I follow up with my favorite conditioner.

2. You've probably seen this Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Conditioner in CVS and have noticed that it's like $5, but that small price tag doesn't reflect how amazing it is!  Whenever I use my Joico Reconstructor I follow up with this conditioner.  I usually sleep with a shower cap (I look so hot ;)) and leave this conditioner on as long as possible. 

Now that I've covered my go-to conditioners I'll discuss my color refreshing options.

3. I don't color my hair with this Manic Panic Pillarbox Red, but I do use it to refresh my hair.  I mix some of this color in with conditioner, and when my color starts to fade I'll apply that like a masque to my hair.  This color bleeds like crazy so I won't suggest it if you are worried about staining your bathroom, but it definitely saves me trips between getting my hair done. 

4. Finally, my favorite product for my hair.  Tressa makes different color depositing shampoos so depending on your desired shade of red they (probably) have a shampoo that will add color!  I use the Tressa Watercolors Fluid Fire Shampoo, and it's a nice red.  It looks like fake blood so the texture and consistency is a little off, but you use it like a normal shampoo.  This is more of a quick, short-term color fix compared to the manic panic, but it creates such a vibrant red and it's much easier to use. 

My other favorite hair product is coconut oil.  I use it on my ends when they are feeling dry, and it's a natural pick me up for straw-like hair.  

These are just four of my favorite go-to hair products, but through-out the years these are the four that I always go back too!  This is just a basic run through, and if you'd like to no more just ask and I can continue this post!

10 comments:

  1. This is all great advice! Thank you for sharing!

    Love,
    Carolyn of Lipstick & Chiffon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try my best to keep sharing great advice!!

      Best,

      Amelia Jetson

      Delete
  2. Fake redhead pride!

    I've done everything from strawberry blonde to violet red (and everything in between). I've been a full-time redhead for over a decade now, and I just can't imagine it any other way. I often say i was cheated out of naturally red hair, since I come from a family packed full of red heads and I somehow ended up as a blonde.

    Being a fake red head definitely forces you to learn some hair skills along the way -- lots of trial and error! Thanks for sharing what has worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say the same thing! My family isn't full of red-heads, but with my pale skin, green eyes and freckles being a red-head is the only way to be!

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. I was a redhead for awhile, and decided to do something different and go purple! Now I'm blue, with dreams of being many more colors, but if I ever have to go back to a "natural" color, I'll go right back to red! I always had trouble with it fading, thank you for the tips!
    I believe I saw on Instagram once that your septum is a 12 gauge? I'd love a post about your decision to stretch and your process, as I'm considering stretching mine. It's super hard to find 18 gauge horseshoes!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would die for purple hair! Sadly, I have to stay somewhat natural for my job.

      I'd feel like a novice since my septum piercing is basically my only body modification so I probably wouldn't want to do an entire post on since I'm not super educated! I'd love to chat with you about it somtime! I can only imagine! Mine was pierced at an 14 gauge so I never had to face that struggle luckily!

      xox
      Amelia

      Delete
  4. Hi, I love you girls <3 I have a question, do you dye your eyebrows as well? Any advice?
    Thanks :)
    (Sorry for my horrible english)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is just fine! I personally dye my eyebrows (and so does Amelia) the first few days they might look sort of bright, but that's better than your hair not matching your eyebrows in my opinion! haha

      Delete
  5. Do you use box dye or do you go to the salon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your color in the photo at the top. I color mine a bright/dark auburn (if that makes sense). When you use the Manic Panic, how much do you mix in with the conditioner? And how long do you leave it on? Does it give you a natural looking color refresh? I would never have thought of Manic Panic for that purpose... it's always raging bright or super faded when I see it on people.

    ReplyDelete